• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Would you prefer a more professional marketplace?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems the way it is works well here. The only thing that I would like to see if somebody is selling at a certain price, to specify if the 3% paypal fee is included. I think it is tacky when you come to an agreement on price and they say add 3% or 4%.

LOL All the kids at school thought that was such a cool song back in the day. Should have been the theme to the Will Smith movie. Then one thing about it wouldn't have sucked.

LOL All the kids at school thought that was such a cool song back in the day. Should have been the theme to the Will Smith movie. Then one thing about it wouldn't have sucked.

I can't hear this song and not in my head have Beavis and Butthead singing along to the hook.

I was going to post the Will Smith video, but I'll just leave it be. That ship has sailed.

But it is broken. Despite the "buyer beware" warning in the FAQ, a lot of mod/admin time is taken up with deals gone wrong.

Why are mods/admins spending a lot of time on deals gone wrong? It seems to me the problem there is that the mods/admins aren't really following through with the consequences of posting "Buyer Beware."

Not that I don't appreciate the fact that they care - but if it's becoming an issue of time and investment, then perhaps the mods/admins should simply re-evaluate their processes for getting involved and to what extent.

Let me ask you a simple question - of the many cases that mods/admins are getting involved in, how many of them involve either buyers or sellers who didn't use "best practices?" (Like using Paypal and operating within the 45 day limit). If you've posted such "best practices" in the FAQ and people choose to ignore them (for whatever reason, good or bad), then you as an admin/mod should not feel very responsible at all for helping clean it up.

I'm curious if the people who like it the current way LIKE that there's more of opportunity to defraud someone?

One of the things that we LIKE is the fact that there isn't a paid staff or license fees to on-line commerce software or anything like that which would necessitate fees or anything - so we can directly interface with our buyers and sellers. It's like Craigslist, except with a tighter-knit community (and the reputation system that such a community can build and respect).

I've found that on these boards, if you use common sense and play it smart, you're bound to have far fewer problems than you would otherwise - including when you compare to the trouble rate on places like Ebay.

Changing the entire system, just to safeguard people who are more careless with their money, is just catering to the lowest common denominator, and will inevitably take away from the community "feel" that this place has.

It seems the way it is works well here. The only thing that I would like to see if somebody is selling at a certain price, to specify if the 3% paypal fee is included. I think it is tacky when you come to an agreement on price and they say add 3% or 4%.

I don't get all the hate for offering discounts to buyers who are willing to cut out the middleman, but I agree that when framed the wrong way, it can seem tacky.

It seems to me that it's just a problem with language. Most buyers say "Send $100 by gift or add 3%." But if most buyers phrased it as "Price is $103, with a 3% discount if you send by gift", then it'd take a lot of the bad taste out of people's mouths.

It seems to me that it's just a problem with language. Most buyers say "Send $100 by gift or add 3%." But if most buyers phrased it as "Price is $103, with a 3% discount if you send by gift", then it'd take a lot of the bad taste out of people's mouths.

Or just say price is 103 bucks

I think unless its someone you know or trust the 3% fee does sound tacky.

I like it the way it is, only without the Paypal fee disclaimer. Sorry....but sellers can pay their own fees as far as Im concerned. Selling on here is a priviledge, not a right. I've reported to a mod someone who was trying to con me, it was reported to Dave, provided written proof and stuff, and they're still a member of this board. So, I'm not sure switching things would make a difference anyways.

It is hard to vote when I don't understand what / how current system is broken? The time I used the mods for a compliant they were about as helpful as a third nipple. I don't know how their wasting so much time?:dunno

I like it the way it is I guess....

l.jpg

I was unaware that this was happening, but as there is already a disclaimer, mods shouldn't be spending time mediating deals gone wrong.

Nice in theory. But if someone defrauds a buyer, we need to know so we can ban them. It doesn't make sense for the forum to allow a seller to continue ripping people off.

While the current system has it's flaws I don't think the proposed change is really a better alternative.

Changing the entire system, just to safeguard people who are more careless with their money, is just catering to the lowest common denominator, and will inevitably take away from the community "feel" that this place has.[/QUOTE]

:exactly::goodpost:

Nice in theory. But if someone defrauds a buyer, we need to know so we can ban them. It doesn't make sense for the forum to allow a seller to continue ripping people off.

Now this is a valid point. It must happen more than I'm lead to believe, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The only thing I'd change is a "Bump" button Kind of like what https://www.tf2outpost.com/ has. That way we may comment on our posts when ever and they will not be pushed to the top. Also, that bump button idea has a time reset. I believe their time is around a hour to reset.

I think it works ok now. But yes - perhaps report a buyer/seller or some sort of open a case button.
I personally have not had any trouble as yet. Grat people here. A few times I have been worried, but it has always worked itself out. If I could 'report' or open some sort of complaint, that would feel better if things were going wrong. Then the Mods could take a look and work out the best options perhaps?

Gift or fee - I think that is fine too. Up to the buyer to have both options. Save a bit of money (trust) or pay the fee (Safe)
The choice is up to you when buying....

Back