Working on a custom Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_jedi1

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I made myself a Vader some time back.. Turned out pretty well but I STILL wanted a Vader that would have the Reveal feature.
I recently bought a couple of Jake McNiece Soldier Story figures for about ten bones each and then I realized that with some modification, he might make a decent Vader.
P1090965.jpg

Before removing the mohawk and paint
P1090970.jpg

and after
P1090966.jpg

After a bit of patching up and some paint
P1090974.jpg

A dark lord starts to be born
P1090978.jpg

At this stage, I need to fix his attire but what he has now will suffice until payday
P1090984.jpg

Help me take.. this mask off
P1090986.jpg

Let me.. look on you with my own eyes
P1090987.jpg

now.. go.. my.. son.
P1090988.jpg

So yeah, he's scaled to the proper height (6'6" in scale). I'm planning to bulk up the body a bit to match Prowse's muscular build once I get him new clothes.
The helmet is the Tomy helmet with some minor surgery.
On the head, I cut the teeth and lower lip away and made him a new lower lip.
The torso and thighs both were cut and had material added to make him taller.

Wow, very nice d_jedi!

I can't believe what you started with and what you ended with are the same sculpt, he looks spot on. :clap

I would have never seen any potential in that figure, what you've done with it is incredible!

Last edited:
Nice start! I didn't realize that the Tomy helmet could fit a head inside. What's the story with the gautlets? Did you custom sew those?

Thanks.. yeah normally the Tomy helmet can't fit one but with those small-ish soldier story heads and opening the mask up a bit with a dremel (I'll take pics tomorrow to show what I mean) you can JUST make it fit.
The gloves... yeah, they're hand-sewn customs. If memory serves, the left glove has one of the extra hands from the hasbro ultimate villain Jango Fett with a soldier story/bbi wristpeg attached to it. The other one has a bit of wire that is the same diameter as the normal peg because it's the saber-sliced hand. lol
I've attached some gloved hands (extras from sideshow Indy) to some SS/BBI pegs that I plan to make gauntlets for so Vader can have alternate hands.
The dome is modified Hasbro.

Looks totally chuffing brilliant, I love the first shot with Darth in his pj bottoms and bare arms.
I also like the grinning face to.
The sculpt came out really well you must be so chuffed. I really want to do one for my Vader one day. I hope he comes out as cool as your..... More pics please I love pics

:)

Alright, so I said I'd post pics of how I modified the Tomy helmet.. here goes.
First, I removed the silver tubes in the Jaw section as they were restricting placement of a head.
P1090989.jpg

Then, I opened up the mask a bit with a dremel.. I went slowly and tried it with the head a few times to ensure a good fit.
P1090990.jpg

P1090991.jpg

and last, I put some two-part epoxy in the dome to secure it to the mask while still allowing removal. I may have messed up the attachment angle slightly but it works and thats my main concern.
P1090992.jpg

here is the jaw, head, and mask minus the dome
P1090993.jpg

P1090994.jpg

I probably need to touch-up some of the colors on the head BUT I'm gonna wait a bit before I do.
edit: I forgot to mention that I made new tusks from straight pins that I altered via dremel.

Back