Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmasters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
After years spent in production, Wong Kar Wai (director of In The Mood For Love, 2046) is almost done with The Grandmasters, which tells the story of Ip Man, martial artist and teacher of a very notable action star that I'll leave you to guess. Stars Tony Leung and Zhang Ziyi.

Out in December internationally, with a US release following in 2013.

The very first (international) trailer was released today:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ngxn9NzLzs&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

PXIa5.jpg

thegrandmasters_tonyleung-thumb-300xauto-34881.jpg

The last time Wong Kar Wai made a martial arts flick, let's say the results weren't what we expect.

The trailer looks beautiful, like a Zhang Yimou movie but I will say it is probably not the right movie for those looking for action in the veins of Donnie Yen version.

i've never been a fan of wong kar wai's films. they all look beautiful, but many are just friggin boring, or way too pretentious. like ashes of time.

the grandmasters also looks gorgeously shot, and i'm sure the acting will be top notch with tony leung in the lead role. just go easy on the posing, please, and give us some substantial fight scenes.

I actually love Ashes of Time. Fantastic acting from everyone, beautiful cinematography, and a memorable theme song.

The fight scene leaves a lot to be desires but after watching it again, I appreciate how he is trying to do it differently. Most importantly, it is a very story and character driven movie unlike most wuxia film which is the other way around (all martial arts, not much story)

wong kar wai makes beautiful looking films, no doubt about that. and the cast usually puts in solid performances. his flaw is that he gets way too pretentious sometimes. and any kind of storytelling still needs a decent pacing, regardless.

chungking express was fine tho. cos at least that had humour.

Back