Wolfman or Phantom of the Opera?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hairlesswookiee said:
my vote goes for the wolfman!! (the shipping is more for the phantom) not everyone will recognize the phantom as they would the wolfman.

Why would Phantom or LAM have higher shipping? If I recall, wolfman is all poly, whereas LAM or Phantom is mixed media. Isn't poly weighing heavier?

Radagaster said:
Why would Phantom or LAM have higher shipping? If I recall, wolfman is all poly, whereas LAM or Phantom is mixed media. Isn't poly weighing heavier?
dont know, but last week i played with all of them and the Phantom was more expensive to ship. the wolfman only costed me $12, but the phantom was $22 for shipping.

Sideshow told me their boxes are shipped due the measurements of the box and not by actual weight. So find out if the Phantom is a bigger box than the Wolfman's. If your answer is yes, then you know why.

im guessing the phantom's box is bigger because the wolfman seems lurching over while the phantom is standing normally. i dont know because i only have the wolfman right now

After looking at RobotDads pics of the Phantom, I say DAMN WHY DID I PASS UP THAT 1/2 DEAL!!!! If it drops after Christmas, I'll see. Lon (Sr.) and Bela are 2 of my all time fav. actors. Lon (sr.) put so much work into his own make up and performance, just a new level of respect for that guy.

Radagaster said:

Wolfman is a PF as well. :wave

And the Phantom is still up at 50% off, I only know because I have been eyeing it every day. :eek:

PosterBoyKelly said:
After looking at RobotDads pics of the Phantom, I say DAMN WHY DID I PASS UP THAT 1/2 DEAL!!!! If it drops after Christmas, I'll see. Lon (Sr.) and Bela are 2 of my all time fav. actors. Lon (sr.) put so much work into his own make up and performance, just a new level of respect for that guy.

Yeah, the Phantom SSE is still 50% off . . .

I see there's not as much love for the LAM compared to Phantom or Wolfman . . .

I don't really see the LAM's hair as detracting. It's not that poufy is it?

Out of the Universal Monsters Premium Formats I think the London After Midnight is only bested in the looks department, by Dracula. I think his downfall is nobody knows who he is compared to the other, much more popular monsters.

Eli26 said:
Out of the Universal Monsters Premium Formats I think the London After Midnight is only bested in the looks department, by Dracula. I think his downfall is nobody knows who he is compared to the other, much more popular monsters.
It isn't so much that we don't know who he is. For me at least, it was just that there isn't the same emotional resonance with the character, since I never had the opportunity to see the film. On the other hand, the other characters all come alive in my minds eye when I look at their PFs.

To be honest, I did have a very difficult time deciding between the Phantom and LAM, but ultimately the Phantom won out (with a little help from the forum ;)).

I meant he isn't AS well known as the other Universal Monsters. Lets be honest Robodad (love the name btw) do you think that the majority out there know who the LAM character is? I didn't beyond this year! And I used to always watch the black and white monster movies with my mother when I was a kid.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right that he isn't as well known, and I didn't mean to imply that he was. I only meant that his being less well known wasn't the reason I decided against him. If anything, that was one of the reasons I was considering him at all.

Being an obscure character from one of the greatest "monster" actors of all time really made the figure more desirable to me than it might otherwise have been. But, in the long run, I didn't feel the same emotional attachment to the piece that I have for the others.

Ugh, just found out I couldn't apply the $75 GC I have for any SSE 1/4 purchase. I coulda sworn someone was able to do that here, but I guess the 50% off doesn't stack with any GC. There goes my first purchase of a 1/4 SSE PF. Guess I'll have to go for the tried and true LOTR stuff instead . . .

Radagaster said:
Ugh, just found out I couldn't apply the $75 GC I have for any SSE 1/4 purchase. I coulda sworn someone was able to do that here, but I guess the 50% off doesn't stack with any GC. There goes my first purchase of a 1/4 SSE PF. Guess I'll have to go for the tried and true LOTR stuff instead . . .

I used a $30 gift card on discounted SSE Dracs during Spooktacular. So I got the discount and than some.

Though nowhere near as good as Robo Dad's shots, I recently was able to get mine displayed.

SideshowSSEWolfman014.jpg

SideshowSSEWolfman011.jpg

SideshowSSEWolfman019.jpg

SideshowSSEWolfman020.jpg

SideshowSSEWolfman021.jpg

SideshowSSEWolfman025.jpg

SideshowSSEWolfman010.jpg

The lighting was deliberate, I wanted to attempt anyway to re-create the mood of the film. I must say, I am VERY impressed with this piece; certainly worth the discounted price tag.

Thanks. By chance I happened to find the pic of Lon Jr. in San Diego on a recent visit.

Nice display! I like the last pic the best with the Chaney pic in back of the Detolf...Again very classy set-up! :cool:

LOTRfan, three questions...

1. Why must you make me so jealous?

2. How much weight can each Detolf withstand? I mean per glass shelf.

3. How many Premium Formats could I put on a Detolf glass shelf?

I am considering purchasing one for now, and another in the future when Cap becomes available.

Back