Will you buy Hot Toys 1/4 Kylo Ren?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you buy Hot Toys 1/4 Kylo?

• Total voters
But IMO, for me, the PF is way overpriced for what it is - so it's the HT 1/4....:panic:

I don't get the appeal of PF or statues in general. I get that for some designs it's only possible with statue format (like the long tongue of the Licker statue) but otherwise it just sits there. Granted, once posed, figures just sit there too but at least you can do something with it and change it up when you get bored with it. I just never got into statues for the sole reason that it's so stationary with zero customizability. Plus they ain't cheap either.

I don't get the appeal of PF or statues in general. I get that for some designs it's only possible with statue format (like the long tongue of the Licker statue) but otherwise it just sits there. Granted, once posed, figures just sit there too but at least you can do something with it and change it up when you get bored with it. I just never got into statues for the sole reason that it's so stationary with zero customizability. Plus they ain't cheap either.

I actually have the opposite perspective. I find that the statue poses are generally better than I can manage with the action figures. I know some on here can replicate the "guy in a suit", but I can never seem to do it. I still get both statues and figures, but if pressed to get one or the other, I'd go statue every time.

I really like the character and I'm currently hesitating between the PF and this. I want to see more pictures, any ideas when will this go online for pre order?

I hesitate to even guess, considering how long we've seen the 1/4 Vader and Stormtrooper without a pre-order. It seems like they'd strike quickly with Kylo as Vader and Trooper have more staying power, IMO. I'm most likely in for both the PF and will display the HT 1/4 with the Driver sculpt. That'll give two very different displays...

All art is interactive.

Living is also interactive. But that's not the point. Statues are a contemplative form of art. You don't interfer or interact with the object. It just stands there. Waiting to be contemplated.

Living is also interactive. But that's not the point. Statues are a contemplative form of art. You don't interfer or interact with the object. It just stands there. Waiting to be contemplated.

That's still a form of interacting.

I get what you're trying to say, but don't dismiss a PF or a similar type and caliber of collectible offhand.

I've had many PF's, though I've since sold them all to focus on 1:6 and prop replicas. Statues, though static, can have a different sort of weight, dynamism, and presence that a figure doesn't quite have. Not every PF comes out as well as they can or should, but those that are sculpted, painted, and fabricated the best are showstoppers.

Though their static nature can seem a drawback, being sculpted in a singular pose means everything is intended to work and flow toward that pose. A figure is intended to be moved and posed in different ways, so there can be a sacrifice (negligible to large) in dramatic effect to allow for that.

And yes, from experience, I would consider setting up, photographing, displaying, viewing, sharing, and enjoying a PF interactions just as much as I would posing a figure.

That said, whether this or the PF is a better purchase is purely up to the prospective buyer. If the production Kylo Ren PF comes out amazing and you like how it's posed and sculpted, great. If you want something that you can pose once in a while, we have the figure for that. Which I may consider getting since I do love Kylo. I think it's great we have multiple options available.

That's still a form of interacting.

I get what you're trying to say, but don't dismiss a PF or a similar type and caliber of collectible offhand.

I've had many PF's, though I've since sold them all to focus on 1:6 and prop replicas. Statues, though static, can have a different sort of weight, dynamism, and presence that a figure doesn't quite have. Not every PF comes out as well as they can or should, but those that are sculpted, painted, and fabricated the best are showstoppers.

Though their static nature can seem a drawback, being sculpted in a singular pose means everything is intended to work and flow toward that pose. A figure is intended to be moved and posed in different ways, so there can be a sacrifice (negligible to large) in dramatic effect to allow for that.

And yes, from experience, I would consider setting up, photographing, displaying, viewing, sharing, and enjoying a PF interactions just as much as I would posing a figure.

That said, whether this or the PF is a better purchase is purely up to the prospective buyer. If the production Kylo Ren PF comes out amazing and you like how it's posed and sculpted, great. If you want something that you can pose once in a while, we have the figure for that. Which I may consider getting since I do love Kylo. I think it's great we have multiple options available.

I agree with you. Actually it was not my intention at all to dismiss PF or statues in general. I was just messing a little bit with devilof76. It's hard to discuss art.

Hey devilof76, I'm really sorry if my posts sounded offensive. :(

Actually I used to collect statues too. I just realized that I personally didn't have the same amount of fun (interaction) that I get with poseable figures. But the 1/6 scale and it's lack of details (in comparison with 1/4 statues) were always a drawback for me. Then HT released the quarter scale.

Of course, that's just my personal opinion. :)

I hope to make this my first 1/4th scale figure. TFA really reignited the love I had for Star Wars before the prequels and Kylo Ren was my favorite character (with Rey a close second). I actively tried to resist getting back into it and failed miserably. :slap :lol

The Sideshow PF was never an option for me due to the combination of cost and lack of a Driver headsculpt.

I'm a 1/6th girl though so I don't plan to make 1/4th a new thing, Kylo is more of an exception than anything else. I don't have the room, the cabinet space or the money to go into 1/4th more than an exception or two.

I don't really have much interest in this Kylo. One reason is I'm getting short on space. The other reason... for a 1/4 scale figure the face sculpt is kind of underwhelming... at least in the prototype pictures.

I agree with you. Actually it was not my intention at all to dismiss PF or statues in general. I was just messing a little bit with devilof76. It's hard to discuss art.

Hey devilof76, I'm really sorry if my posts sounded offensive. :(

Nothing to apologize for. :duff

However, I think the word you were looking for may have been 'playing with' and not 'interacting'.

Voted no. Already PO'd the PF and very happy with how this one is looking. While it would be nice to see a Driver profile, I honestly would rather it be posed with the helmet. And I don't need a light up saber feature that I would probably turn on all of 30 seconds at a time to ever look at. I'd rather it just be a nice statue and the pose is perfect.

Back