Will we ever see a Blade Runner or Kubrick figure license?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushmore223

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know some of you on this board must have the answer.

As far as Blade Runner goees, Is it tied up in legal issues?

They have made Alien figures, so I would think Ridley Scott or whomever owns the rights would be willing.

It seem's a no-brainer as the fan community would eat up a Dekkard and Batty figure.

This is the untouched license I want to see immortalized in plastic, followed by a few choice Stanley kubrick movies. Who would not love to see a Dr. Strangelove figure? or Jack Torrence? or Alex Delarge?

I am willing to bet that Kubrick had some sort of clause that did not allow for merchandising of his films or characters.

Anyway, what's the fact in this matter?

I remember hearing a while back from a sideshow rep that the blade runner liscense is tied up with legal. I dont think it has anything to do with Ridley Scott, most likely the company who owns it, didnt they make a video game years ago though? Im shure it will happen, wenever the company decides to cash in on the liscense, a Dekkard figure would be epic!

it took decades but finally now we got indiana jones collectibles that are worth a damn. ditto with termies that finally actually look like arnold. hannibal lecter was once said to be impossible also until neca made it possible. anything is possible. just give it time.

I have been championing this line for ages, but it always seems to fall on deaf ears.
I recently sent a recommendation to Hot Toys to do a line of figures and with a Police Spinner car with lights as well, (hoping to see if they would follow on the vehicle line which started with the Tumbler) and they said they would pass it on to the development team. I won't get my hopes up though.

Sadly it seems that any interest in this line would probably not sell well due to the lack of interest or the fact that a lot of the younger generation haven't see it, or are bored by it, judging by the reaction on some threads I have read.

I would love to see some Kubrick figures, especially from 2001: A Space Odyssey and Barry Lyndon, though I think the latter is much less likely.

I would love to see some Kubrick figures, especially from 2001: A Space Odyssey and Barry Lyndon, though I think the latter is much less likely.

I remember a while ago some company made a set of 2001 figures, they were the characters in their Discovery space suits. They came in a limited run and were marketed as high end figures. Not sure what the scale was though. As for Barry Lyndon, that wasn't exactly Kubrick's most well known piece of work. It received a pretty lukewarm reception in the US but was well received in Europe. Personally I liked it for the sumptuous period setting and music. I don't imagine there are many collectors who're eager for that license.

It's interesting to consider the factors that go into deciding on a license. As KneelBeforrSmallville said, the license may be tied up in legal. Whether or not there are enough people interested is another thing. If the character provides the opportunity for loads of accessories and features to be included that's a pro for making a figure (exceptions include incredibly well known characters like Darth Vader who comes with squat).

Back