Will the failure of the Last Jedi affect the value of OT collectibles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I don't see TLJ as a failure at all. Over a billion in the box office worldwide and still going. Great critical reviews. A small vocal minority hates it, but money talks and it is a sucess.
So by "small vocal minority" you mean half the audience?

If you follow Cinemascore, there's a MASSIVE difference between an A and an A-. I know that in college that's considered nearly the same grade but on Cinemascore even a B is considered pretty disappointing.

And that points out the massive flaws with Cinemascore. No matter what, it gets a good review. Even disappointing films come out looking good.

No wonder studios love to reference it.

Last edited:
I think this pretty much sums it up. Great post Scott!

To answer the OP's question, I believe that the release of the new movies, good or bad, generally increases the value of OT related collectibles. For the long-time fans, their love for the OT is simply reaffirmed with each new movie -- I know that's the case for me -- and many new Star Wars collectors may start with the newer stuff, but will usually tend to follow the trail of collectibles back to the movie series' roots, increasing demand for those items.

Regardless of how you feel about the new movies, there is no changing the profound impact that Star Wars has had on popular culture and the movie making industry, and because of that the OT collectibles will always be desirable.

I don’t see why Hamill related collectibles would go down in value. Hamill gave a phenomenal performance in spite of a script he didn’t necessarily agree with. The guy is a true professional and Still one of my favorites.

But I don’t collect autographs unless they come on a trading card in a pack. So what do I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't get the agenda, but I wasn't looking for one....

Nonetheless, if all you collect for is the future value of your collectibles, just go away. You should collect because what you collect means something to you, not because you can make an incredible $100 down the line. Sad.

Nonetheless, if all you collect for is the future value of your collectibles, just go away. You should collect because what you collect means something to you, not because you can make an incredible $100 down the line. Sad.

Agreed. If people want investment they should look elsewhere, there are better options for investing your money. I collect because I enjoy it, I only collect Original Trilogy Imperials and from small and cheap items like Burger King to high end like Master Replicas or Sideshow/HotToys. I rarely sold items from my collection, and that only happened when display space was an issues and decided to reorder the setup. Thus I buy it for myself, because I like it not because some day I might resell it. Don't care about resale value or low edition number, or Artist Proof or crap like that. If I like a collectible, I buy it, if I don't, no matter how sought after it is by others, I don't give a dime for it.

I am a french guy who was born in 81 and i grew up with the OT.
If i try to set a side the fact that precisly i grew up with these movies and the sentimental factor that comes with, i am sorry to say that TLJ is the worst SW film ever and one of the worst experience i suffered in a theatre...:dunno
This movie is just zero, it looks like SW, it's smells SW but it is definitly not SW.

After the good surprise of Rogue One (not so difficult cause the story was more or less already written...) i had back a rekindled hope after the devastation that TFW left me but i think Lucas made the bigest mistake of its career by solding SW to Disney... Not for its wallet but for the fans and for the SW legacy.
Even if the Prequels were not perfects, they had at least the merit to tell a story. In my opinion the franchise would have stop here.

For the collectibles value of the OT, i don't think it's gonna devalue them but the fact is that an over-presence of SW in all medias risk to get bored everyone, even the fans and demistify the franchise.

10 years ago, having a 1.1 Vder helmet made you a fan of course but also a cool guy, today you looks like a "victim" of the SW "system"...
This is why i hide from my wife that i ordered a few month ago a Quasimodo Vader helmet... She will discover it a little bi later...:horror :rotfl

But anyway, i don't care what people says, i like my SW prop and collectibles and i hope i'll share my passion with my son in a few years!

I realize there are people who "like" this movie. I don't understand their point of view nor the apologists who are writing article after article trying to explain to me why I am the problem, not the film itself. Every time I hear a comparison to 'The Empire Strikes Back' I want to pack my bags and move far away from civilization. I can go so far as to say I can respect another individuals opinion, but if attempting to put the Last Jedi in the same sentence as Empire, all credibility is lost and I find myself dumbfounded at such nonsense.
I am 41 and a reasonable fan of all good movies. I was really excited for the Last Jedi for several reasons, including I thought they would do Luke justice as an Obi Wan type of teacher. I won't get into every detail, but the movie was not about A Long Time Ago, Far Far Away..........
It was a Trojan Horse parading several of today's hot social and political climates by shoehorning abrasive and unnecessary dialogue and plot points into a fantasy space opera.

I recently went to the Star Wars Celebration in Orlando. I took a Master Replica Luke blaster with me and was hoping to get it signed and a picture of Mark Hamill holding it. I did not pre-order though and was out of luck with Hamill (saved $250.00 though). I ended up having to "settle" for Billy Dee Williams and took a picture with him holding the Blaster. For awhile after the event I was a bit bummed because I felt getting the Hamill autograph on the blaster as well as a picture of him holding it would triple the value of it. After watching Last Jedi, I am not sure that's the case anymore as Luke was gutted on the movie and most fans wished they had watched a different film. Meanwhile, Billy Dee Williams wasn't in it, so he at least keeps his "cool factor".

So, at the end of the day,...do you guys feel the oversaturation of Star Wars with Disney is the enemy to collectible value or is it Disney taking something that has been important to many since the originals and giving it such an enema that the collectibles will suffer ultimately as a result?
I honestly have no idea what “failure” you’re talking about. Just because a few salty fanboys didn’t like this movie doesn’t mean one of the most popular films of all time failed

It was a Trojan Horse parading several of today's hot social and political climates by shoehorning abrasive and unnecessary dialogue and plot points into a fantasy space opera.

My EXACT thoughts as well.
The Star Wars series was given a MASSIVE blow to every aspect of its fandom as a result of that mess. The story and characters were horribly destroyed. But hey, as long as Disney got the opportunity to force feed us their political agenda then they’re happy. I can only imagine what Disney has in store for future films.

Without getting political, all I’ll say is that the liberal mindset destroys everything it touches and it has a firm grip on Star Wars.

RIP Star Wars

My EXACT thoughts as well.
The Star Wars series was given a MASSIVE blow to every aspect of its fandom as a result of that mess. The story and characters were horribly destroyed. But hey, as long as Disney got the opportunity to force feed us their political agenda then they’re happy. I can only imagine what Disney has in store for future films.

Without getting political, all I’ll say is that the liberal mindset destroys everything it touches and it has a firm grip on Star Wars.

RIP Star Wars

You didn’t have a problem with the original trilogy’s political agenda?

Since the value of collectable is based on scarcity......and demand, I would say so long as a few OT era people are around they will be fine.....

It did’t “ruin” everyone’s childhood...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

TLJ was an awful film

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, horrid. I didn't think the PT could be topped with horrible parts however the ST, especially TLJ managed an entire film (though it was set up with TFA) to be worse than the horrid parts of TPM and AoTC. Solo was okay but since it was Han's backstory I had major issues with it. If it was just a regular film about a "new" character then I would have been much more gracious with my feelings about it.

BUT I don't think some of the bad disney films will ruin SW collectables. Now if they keep it up maybe but I mean its SW so I think it'll have some $$$ on the 2ndary.

I liked TFA, when I first saw it. However, every time I watched it after?... I liked it a teeny bit less. I didn't like TLJ, when I first saw it. The second (& last time) I watched it, I loathed it. I've even stopped watching TFA because of it, & the chances of me going to see the new one is slim to none. TLJ has made me NOT care about anything of the new characters... good guys OR bad guys. I've bought one thing from these new movies (TFA melted Vader helmet). & it was fan made (MasterEdi), so Disney got nothing.
I liked RO, when I first saw it. & every time I watch it now, I like it more & more. Now I love it! I've bought a few pieces from RO.
The PT & CW, I've got loads of stuff from them. I still buy stuff from them, & I still watch them.
My heart, however, will always be with the OT. I watch them the most, & the vast majority of my collection is from those movies.

I honestly have no idea what “failure” you’re talking about. Just because a few salty fanboys didn’t like this movie doesn’t mean one of the most popular films of all time failed

A few lol! My ass I hated the movie and every Disney star wars movies they made. They suck period. Can't swing a saber to save their lives. How does it go from Rots with bad ass action and dark tone to this ****. Just so you know their are plenty of fan boys who hate the movie. One of the most popular film of all time, are you on ****ing crack? In no way is the remotely close to being that. It may have made money but any stars movie will, especially what Lucas created for it generation after generation. Disney doesn't get how to make a good star wars. Boring plots bad characters, and no building of a character. I mean how is one already bad ass in the force with no training but yet sucks balls at welding a saber her and Ren. Like going back to the originals with saber skills. I mean I never been so bored in the last three Disney movies. However, at least in RO Vader was bad ass and had that great scene but other than that I feel asleep in the theater. Never did see Solo so I can't say anything bad about that. But I will get around watching it. Anyways, I could have made a star wars movie and put the name star wars in it and it would make millions just the name alone. It had nothing to do with how good it was, because it wasn't.

Back