Why the HOT TOYS don´t sell out anymore?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why the HOT TOYS don´t sell out anymore?

• HOT TOYS produce much more pieces than before.

Votes: 190 60.7%
  • The Collectors are less interested to this product.

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • BOTH of the above.

Votes: 113 36.1%

• Total voters
Your telling me there are more comic book/character fans than movie fans right? So...

Phil Coulson? - WUT
Nick Fury - Black and played by Samuel Jackson - Sold out
Hawkeye - Looks nothing like Hawkeye - Sold out
Every Iron Man figure - there are that many Iron man fans...? :lol
Jake Sully - Who??? :horror
Jack Sparrow - Pure Movie character
Lt Jim Gordon - Sold out.
Terminator line - Every figure pretty much sold out.
Predator - 15 versions released.

People buy these things because they remind them of their favorite movies, not because they are "the biggest Hawkeye fans in the world".

That's pretty much what Hot Toys do - sell movie characters.

That's not what you said. What you said was a top 10 grossing movie of all time will easily sell a massive amount of figures. Titanic being the top unadjusted grossing film was my example. We both know HT wouldn't move 10k pieces. I'd be surprised if they could move half of that. Hell, look at Avatar. Jake isn't even selling as well despite Avatar being the number 2 unajusted grossing film of all time. It's flawed logic.

That's not what you said. What you said was a top 10 grossing movie of all time will easily sell a massive amount of figures. Titanic being the top unadjusted grossing film was my example. We both know HT wouldn't move 10k pieces. I'd be surprised if they could move half of that. Hell, look at Avatar. Jake isn't even selling as well despite Avatar being the number 2 unajusted grossing film of all time. It's flawed logic.

So your telling me that The Avengers movie pulled in no extra sales or collectors?? Is that what your saying?

Hot Toys and Sideshow just decided to up there output numbers for no reason?

Your being picky with the example. Of course no one would buy a Titanic figure.

So your telling me that The Avengers movie pulled in no extra sales or collectors?? Is that what your saying?

Hot Toys and Sideshow just decided to up there output numbers for no reason?

Your being picky with the example. Of course no one would buy a Titanic figure.

Unless your post was addressing superhero films solely, you're wrong. If it was, I apologize and agree but you didn't specify it as your wording was generalizing (thus my non-superhero examples).

Unless your post was addressing superhero films solely, you're wrong. If it was, I apologize and agree but you didn't specify it as your wording was generalizing (thus my non-superhero examples).

Terminator and Predator are not superhero's though.

I'm merely saying a company that bases itself around selling movie figures will have a larger potential audience for sales when those movie's that they have chosen to represent are doing well.

Once those people are hooked then they move onto other characters, thus increasing the companies profile and fan base.

I can't count how many times on these boards I've seen someone mention the words "now I'm addicted to collecting Hot Toys". That all starts with one figure.

Terminator and Predator are not superhero's though.

I'm merely saying a company that bases itself around selling movie figures will have a larger potential audience for sales when those movie's that they have chosen to represent are doing well.

Once those people are hooked then they move onto other characters, thus increasing the companies profile and fan base.

I can't count how many times on these boards I've seen someone mention the words "now I'm addicted to collecting Hot Toys". That all starts with one figure.

Given HT's ever-rising prices, growing QC issues and oversaturation, I'm not sure how long that bubble will last. It's already burst on the Predators (look how many Sideshow still has in stock), and it's bursting on the Terminator figures as I type this with the DX12 still in stock and the DX13 coming soon. Hell, I think it's safe to say even Batman's bubble has burst to some extent looking at the Nicholson Joker, and TDKR Batman (even Reeve Supes too who doesn't even go for retail anymore).

Well yeah but I think that's because they just decided to go into hyper drive on the releases.

Far too many things came out at the same time and are still coming out. There has to be the demand in there somewhere.

I'd say most of the collectors here probably hold down decent jobs but you'd need to be a bank manager to even consider collecting half the stuff on release.

I know I'm really bad for it. I must have lost $100 this year on deposits because I continually changed my tune every 2 months when something else came out. I've learned my lesson now though.

Don't PO - just wait and see.

Or just PO from stores that don't demand a NRD ;)

By the time they've overcharged you for the figure though your probably in the same boat. My local store PO for free and layaway but they charge about an extra $50-$70 on top for the figure - at least. More if it's an older figure.

I know Popcultcha demand a deposit or full payment. Which stores do you use in OZ that don't ask for a NRD?

So your telling me that The Avengers movie pulled in no extra sales or collectors?? Is that what your saying?.

Sales? Yes.

Collector's? Perhaps not.

Avengers have brought in new customers to buy Avengers figures but once they've got those figures will they stick around for other licensed figures?

There is plenty of new members here who have P.O lists which are just Avengers figures and no others. :dunno

Given HT's ever-rising prices, growing QC issues and oversaturation, I'm not sure how long that bubble will last. It's already burst on the Predators (look how many Sideshow still has in stock), and it's bursting on the Terminator figures as I type this with the DX12 still in stock and the DX13 coming soon. Hell, I think it's safe to say even Batman's bubble has burst to some extent looking at the Nicholson Joker, and TDKR Batman (even Reeve Supes too who doesn't even go for retail anymore).

you mean the DX 10 T800 right?

I agree with alot of you. Price, overproduction and quality. Out of the 4 or 5 HT figures I own, most have issues. Joker DX01 Pers is now busted, Batman DX02 has oily abs and Luke Skywalker's magnet in the head was unglued out of the box. You can't expect people to pay $300 for a figure when they can be getting a premium format figure instead.

Your telling me there are more comic book/character fans than movie fans right? So...

Phil Coulson? - WUT
Nick Fury - Black and played by Samuel Jackson - Sold out
Hawkeye - Looks nothing like Hawkeye - Sold out
Every Iron Man figure - there are that many Iron man fans..- Sold out.? :lol
Jake Sully - Who??? :horror
Jack Sparrow - Pure Movie character
Lt Jim Gordon - Sold out.
Terminator line - Every figure pretty much sold out.
Predator - 15 versions released.

People buy these things because they remind them of their favorite movies, not because they are "the biggest Hawkeye fans in the world".

That's pretty much what Hot Toys do - sell movie characters. That's their whole sales angle.

Maybe we need to narrow it down to movies with established IPs/actors aimed at adult males?

Avatar seemed to be aimed more at the family-friendly teen demographic and Titanic was a total chick flick except for the awesome sinking ship part. I'd be more interested in a titanic model than a DiCaprio or Winslett figure.

Jack Sparrow is probably the biggest stretch, but Depp has a long history as an actor and had the talent and recognizeability to keep the film from turning into a generic Disney theme park movie. Your mileage will vary on the sequels, lol.

This was kind of a lame post to begin with...really? you can't figure out why Hot Toys don't sell out like they did once....simple Price. a Great deal of us have been priced out, when we do buy we only buy what we deem are must buy figures. Hot Toys have become a Rich Man's hobby...in 2012 I only bought one Hot Toys Box set and that was the DX10 and the only figure I see myself buying in 2013 is the DX13...the only other definite for me will be Roadblock if he is released in 2013.....

This was kind of a lame post to begin with...really? you can't figure out why Hot Toys don't sell out like they did once....simple Price. a Great deal of us have been priced out, when we do buy we only buy what we deem are must buy figures. Hot Toys have become a Rich Man's hobby...in 2012 I only bought one Hot Toys Box set and that was the DX10 and the only figure I see myself buying in 2013 is the DX13...the only other definite for me will be Roadblock if he is released in 2013.....

If it were price alone, there wouldn't be more customers now than in the past, which seems to be the case. So price, while definitely a factor, simply isn't the only factor.

If it were price alone, there wouldn't be more customers now than in the past, which seems to be the case. So price, while definitely a factor, simply isn't the only factor.
Price may not be the only factor, but I bet it is the main factor....I remember a time when prices wasn't so high you would buy a figure, because it just look cool, but with prices being the way it is, barring you have a great source of income, which a lot of us don't, it is no longer affordable to buy a figure just because it's cool looking. If that was the case I would have a shelf full of 3A toys, but like me a lot of us simply can't afford the prices. The average hot toys is now 200+, and you don't think that is the biggest reason Hot Toys don't sell out anymore?....

Price may not be the only factor, but I bet it is the main factor....I remember a time when prices wasn't so high you would buy a figure, because it just look cool, but with prices being the way it is, barring you have a great source of income, which a lot of us don't, it is no longer affordable to buy a figure just because it's cool looking. If that was the case I would have a shelf full of 3A toys, but like me a lot of us simply can't afford the prices. The average hot toys is now 200+, and you don't think that is the biggest reason Hot Toys don't sell out anymore?....

I don't even think it's the main factor. Again, despite the higher prices, Hot Toys has more customers now than they did when their figures were half what they are. So that takes the idea of price being the main factor, and throws it out the window. I'm not saying it's not the case for you or others, it very well might be, but that doesn't make sense for the majority.

Plus, there's their ever expanding catalog to consider. Whereas before, there were only a handful of licenses to choose from with a few releases, now they have these titan licenses with umpteen figures coming out. So collectors are left to choose one while having to pass on another because they want something else HT is releasing at the same time.

well to me the only figures I see that aren't selling out are figures to movies that people quite honestly don't really care about. I see the black spider-man is still in stock. That to me is the best figure I've owned next to the Mark IV but because the film sucked people aren't going to buy that figure.

Also I think it's dumb to put out TWO pre-orders of the T-800 when they know most people only want the battle damaged version. The DX-10 will probably be a shelf warmer for awhile.

well to me the only figures I see that aren't selling out are figures to movies that people quite honestly don't really care about. I see the black spider-man is still in stock. That to me is the best figure I've owned next to the Mark IV but because the film sucked people aren't going to buy that figure.

Also I think it's dumb to put out TWO pre-orders of the T-800 when they know most people only want the battle damaged version. The DX-10 will probably be a shelf warmer for awhile.

Nobody cares about the Predators, Batman, Superman, Iron Man or Captain America?

Avengers have brought in new customers to buy Avengers figures but once they've got those figures will they stick around for other licensed figures?

Well we all know how that turns out don't we...:lol

"Maybe I'll get this, oh that's cool! Man I have to PO that......" ###joins Sideshow collectors forums###

Did it myself...!

Back