Why So Many Selling Stuff That Just Came Out?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't sell most of my purchases, but if I did so close to the release, the likely reason would be that I didn't like it or wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.

Combination of reasons - varying by individual. One thing I think contributes to this is that people PO stuff too early these days based on the prototype. And are disappointed when they get stuff in hand.

Combination of reasons - varying by individual. One thing I think contributes to this is that people PO stuff too early these days based on the prototype. And are disappointed when they get stuff in hand.

I do think the time between pre-order and shipping is a factor as it's a huge amount of time passing and lately, I've noticed with myself, a perfect storm of my items all coming at the same time or near. But then again, I ordered them and will keep them, unless Cap America PF comes with badly applied eye liner like Rogue. ;)

I don't sell most of my purchases, but if I did so close to the release, the likely reason would be that I didn't like it or wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.
These things usually play a role when I sell something quickly. You often just don't know what it's gonna actually look and be like until you get it in hand. And once you do, sometimes you feel disappointment and/or regret, and want to just get it out of your sight. HT Cap, frankly, was a disappointment to many in this regard, so I'm not surprised to see that he's being resold this way. I'm probably only keeping him because he's Cap. Extremely limited articulation, shoddy quality on his straps, questionable likeness. He's a'aight, but just not an overly impressive figure in relation to what HT typically pumps out.

I don't know that this phenomenon is new, though, except that I think we're at a crossroads where HT has finally started increasing production to meet initial demand, which is cutting down on the impact that speculative investors can have on the market. So I'm sure more of those folks are offloading these more quickly when they realize that the long-term value making potential isn't what it used to be for these dollies.

It reminds me of the days when people did this with Sideshow statues. They bought everything in the hope that they'd be worth a lot of money then find out they aren't. Then they sell the figures immediately after launch to make close to their money back.

ebay is still littered with those kind of auctions

Were you a lucky one and got multiples of the original Cap America PF, Hulk PF, Doom PF? :wink1:

No I wish!
I wasnt so much into SS as I am now. The key is now to get all the new DC pieces. These are the start of something special. The Batman and Superman are going to be a real gem later on!

No I wish!
I wasnt so much into SS as I am now. The key is now to get all the new DC pieces. These are the start of something special. The Batman and Superman are going to be a real gem later on!

What about my joker pf I have coming. Don't insult the Clown Prince ;)

I just treat this collecting hobby like if I was collecting other forms of art. Obviously some are worth more than others and paintings will always be worth more than SSC's as they appeal to a larger spectrum of people and some might say more art-worthy. I started with statues (which are pretty art-worthy in my book) and have added some 1/6th here and there. I still prefer statues as I can at least lie to myself that they are big and art-like. lol

It IS art, whether statues or HT quality figures/customs :lecture

Regarding the reasons for the quick selling - one thing that I didn't see mentioned is simply people lacking self control when ordering :dunno

Easy to think 'oh if I don't like it or if I need the money, Ill just sell it'

I only buy stuff I want to keep. I sell only when a better version of the same thing is coming out and I need to fund it

Back