why is your shipping cost so outragous?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got charged $15.00 for shipping on a True Type figure body that will soon be shipping. That's $15.00 for a $29.99 figure (and that's only half the order, a slim body was the other half). Will not be ordering bodies from them anymore.

Just had to add a comment/question Dusty-- I can't speak for other Canadian collectors but the price of shipping (and adding the custom fees) to Canada has really curtailed my buying Exclusives directly from SSC. Is there any option of someday something like a Canadian warehouse?... Sometimes the shipping (+custom fees) cost as much as the item(s).

When I first started this hobby and knew nothing about buying these figures, I pretty much thought that only SS was the place to buy. I ordered a few things and then saw the ridiculous shipping charges (I live in canada) + the fact that I'd get nailed for duties and brokerage fees, so I cancelled everything and did some research. I mostly collect 1/6 and found great places to order from at very low shipping costs, and no hastle of duty or brokerage ! I also have a slight advantage of not having to pay provincial taxes cuz I live in another province from where I order. So I save a boat load of cash if you put all that together. Besides, I don't even know why people go on these waitlists when tons of online stores have them up for pre-order. SS site seems to sellout of the really popular item within minutes and people still go on a waitlist for some reason. :confused:

I'd love to be able to order SS and HT products directly from them, but shipping is just too high - case in point I was quoted about $88 shipping to Australia for the Godfather 12". I understand that this is not necessarily Sideshow's fault, that for whatever reason they may not be able to ship via USPS (who can be considerably cheaper - there have been occasions when I had products shipped to a US friend and then forwarded on to me for much less than FedEx or UPS would charge), but I do wish that they would be able to create an Asian shipping office - perhaps if they created that they could save on their own freight costs, shipping to their Australasian customers, and also have the staff needed for that office act as onsite quality control, which has been a problem for SS.

I'd love to be able to order SS and HT products directly from them, but shipping is just too high - case in point I was quoted about $88 shipping to Australia for the Godfather 12". I understand that this is not necessarily Sideshow's fault, that for whatever reason they may not be able to ship via USPS (who can be considerably cheaper - there have been occasions when I had products shipped to a US friend and then forwarded on to me for much less than FedEx or UPS would charge), but I do wish that they would be able to create an Asian shipping office - perhaps if they created that they could save on their own freight costs, shipping to their Australasian customers, and also have the staff needed for that office act as onsite quality control, which has been a problem for SS.

Here here! I'm with you on that brother! Warehouses for US, Europe & South-East Asia certainly makes sense; or, alternatively, just open one in Aus! :lol I would pack up and move to that suburb!

... but I do wish that they would be able to create an Asian shipping office - perhaps if they created that they could save on their own freight costs, shipping to their Australasian customers, and also have the staff needed for that office act as onsite quality control, which has been a problem for SS.

That would sure be nice, both from a direct purchase point of view and reduction in time and shipping costs for our local shops.
However... it ain't going to happen, we are just not a big enough market, compared to the US and Europe, I'd say we are next to nothing.
For proof look no further then the reduced numbers of the Fell Beast vs Eagle dio that were ship down here late last year. Even tho there were a bunch of actual pre-orders for it, SS only sent half of those pre-order numbers.
Funny how its been up on Second Chance Opportunity and even gift card from the SS site since, if you can afford the postage down here for it that is.

An Australasian shipping office would be great for Aussie collectors. We still have no bona fide Hot Toys seller down under. Just sellers with friends in Asia, which makes buying direct from Asia still the most affordable way to purchase, 1/6th Hot Toys figures at least.

At one time Australia was Sideshows 4th best outlet worldwide, and even if that is still so, it's like the theguru1 said, it's nothing. Well nothing at all like America. Shipping is a real hurdle. I've won items in Sideshow competitions and the shipping makes entering the competition a waste of time and money. Sometime its cheaper to buy the item from a shop here and at least save yourself the worry of receiving a defective item. It's certainly aint easy being girt. :lol (That's an Aussie joke)

Yes, you're right about the SSC competitions, creech. Sometimes shipping costs more than the item.
Here's one more, simular issue: I just received the invoice for an item I've bought entirely with reward points, and yet, according to the SSC invoice, I have to pay tax on the shipping. Does someone here know why? I really want to know. Why do the European (and perhaps some international) customers have to pay tax on shipping? I know it's imposed by our governments, but, why do they need to get a share of the money we pay for a service from a foreign firm? I never understood that... .

To Hawaii: $35 for a 1/6 figure; $85-$125 for the average PF. I won't even go into a giant like the Hulk PF, or a 1:1 Bust.

I've ordered non-exclusives from other vendors, which is a good option to reduce shipping costs. But no other option than to take the lumps if you need the Exclusive. For me, the Exclusive is usually worth the increased hsipping cost so I don't complain. :monkey1

This is from the newsletter tonight:

To ensure your Sideshow Collectibles' piece arrives safe and sound, we do require a signature for orders that total $100 or more! As a reminder, a few months ago the shippers slightly increased their fees for this service to $3.75 USD per UPS box and $2.75 USD per FEDEX box! Although these fees are reflected in your final shipping charges keep in mind that they are not included in your estimated shipping fees on your order confirmation. Customers can always choose to waive this signature requirement, but it must done through a special form for each order totaling $100 or more well before it ships. For further information about our Signature required policy and fees visit the link below. [Signature required policy and fees information]

That increase could also have something to do with why the prices for shipping keep increasing. $3.75 on top of each new 12" figure shipped adds up.

While I've read about ppl whining about a postage cost of $15 instead of $10, I just got my postage quote for the Mount Doom Dio, $67USD, for what must be a pretty small and light package.
This is why I tend to buy locally and this is my first ever direct SS order. I've asked if there is a cheaper option, but I may not have much luck and will just be stuck with it.

I now hope to god, that if the Disney PF lines has any Ex versions, that none are anything that great that I'm really going to want. Since no doubt the postage alone will kill me.

While I've read about ppl whining about a postage cost of $15 instead of $10, I just got my postage quote for the Mount Doom Dio, $67USD, for what must be a pretty small and light package.
This is why I tend to buy locally and this is my first ever direct SS order. I've asked if there is a cheaper option, but I may not have much luck and will just be stuck with it.

I now hope to god, that if the Disney PF lines has any Ex versions, that none are anything that great that I'm really going to want. Since no doubt the postage alone will kill me.

I just paid $60 for shipping on my 1/6 Vader :sick I really wish there was an alternative to Fedex from SS

Would you be interested in this?:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59910

I’m about to pay $183 for shipping on Uruk-hai Berserker ex. Came as a shock because lately PF's have been averaging about $120.

Thank God for flex pay. Makes it hurt a little less.

I’m about to pay $183 for shipping on Uruk-hai Berserker ex. Came as a shock because lately PF's have been averaging about $120.

Thank God for flex pay. Makes it hurt a little less.

I must agree that $183 is a ridiculous price to pay for shipping. :horror

If SS offers USPS option for international shipping, I am sure they will be able to sell much more stuff to international collectors then they are doing so now.

While it is true that we can also buy SS stuff from local retailers but in some cases, we collectors really have no choice e.g Exclusives and SDCC items.

I cancelled many a PF due to shipping cost on top of custom fees coming into Canada totaling almost $175, nothing really to due with Sideshow but with the shipping supplier.

But most of the time it boils down to cost of shipping that I cancel an item.

Last edited:
Back