Why do you love statues?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well l will give my honest opinion as well. I find 12 inch figures (which most people think are dollies) cheezy and a tad childish (that's right l said it), but that is fine, we all need to keep some sort of child in us. I agree PFs are more like decorations, that is how l think of them, like rich people with expensive fancy statues in their houses, l have cool kick ass movie character statues that accent my room and represent my favorite movies. I want the best bad ass collectible l can get of my favorite movie characters and that would be SS PFs. Why settle on a 12inch plastic toy when l can get a 24inch statue that wont get loose or break down (rubber) or nose dive off the shelf? For me 1/6 is to small and no bang wow factor, PFs have that huge wow factor for me and everyone who has seen my collection. PFs are more artistic and arty then 1/6. Plus l like the fact of collecting statues then collecting toys (each their own, but l do still collect some 1/6 DID and Soldier story stuff).

Don't compare SS statues to cheap fake samurai swords on the wall and fake leopard couches. These statues are top of the line high end collectibles.

I don't collect based on what people think, trust me l collected 1/6 for a long time before l found PFs. Many people saw my 1/6 collection, some said "cool", "neat", "why do you collect toys", "waist of money", "that's childish", l didn't care l kept collecting. When l got rid of pretty much all my 1/6 stuff and now really only have PFs, this is what people say, "that's really cool" (more wow factor in their voices then looking at my 1/6 stuff) and those were HT predators, Pirates Of The Caribbean and military stuff. I still here waste of money sometimes when they here how much they cost, but l never got the childish type comments on my PF collection (l guess that is because they aren't toys). I also heard this for the first time from several people " where did you get these l wouldn't mind having one or two of those". I think that says it right there, a person who doesn't collect wanting to have a couple. That confirms what l think about 1/6 and 1/4 SS PFs and why l switched over. In the end it all comes down to taste and what you personally like better.

Almost sounds like you were tired of getting teased about the 1/6. I've gotten good reactions on both my 1/6 and PFs/statues, and never the "toy" or "childish" comments. The most common comment I've gotten is, "wow, cool, didn't even know they made these" and the second "How much". The ones I get the biggest reaction from are my 1:1. I've never had anybody make a comment between the size of my 1/6 or 1/4 as they thought they were equally cool.

Within the confines of our own little pop culture collecting world, there are imaginary lines between scales, companies, statues/toys, but the bottom line is, its ALL nerd culture. Quit trying to be cooler than the other nerds.

Just one nerd group wanting their stuff to be cooler than the other nerd groups' stuff.

Outsiders see it all as tacky geek fetish junk.

Live with it.

Nerds.

You know you are insulting yourself worse than us because I really don't care about your opinions.

my claim isn't Sidshow PFs are the only top of the line collectible (they are top of the line products in that pacific field) not like many different very expensive samurai sword and instead hanging crappy ones on the wall that look expensive ( l hate people who do that:lol). Most people have their houses filled with some kind of stupid ____. l know people who have plates all over the walls, pics all over of stupid babies they don't even know, spoons and fork collections, all sorts of stuff. Who cares what people think, you like something, hang it on the wall or put that ____ in a display case, end of story. Decorite how and collect what you want.

While I agree with the sentiment at the end of this post, I feel impelled to inform you that the word is "specific" not "pacific". Just like it's "spaghetti", not "pasketti."

22copy.jpg

21copy.jpg

20copy.jpg

19copy.jpg

18copy.jpg

17copy.jpg

16copy.jpg

15copy.jpg

14copy.jpg

13copy.jpg

Exactly, good pics. Even though the 300 sculpt is off and a little dark at least he wont have natural wrinkles all over him (I.E. broken down rubber.):lecture

Poses for action figures don't stay in pose, that long due to the loose hinges/joints. Most often than not, you'd see the same straight pose with the waist/groin stands in between the legs... yuck.

For all its worth, they would not be able to achieve this ....

7390d1276703588-new-spider-man-comiquette-1sidespiderman3.jpg

A lot there. And you make your points very well. I've come to a different conclusion, but I can see where you are coming from.

It would be fun to debate each point, but I'll just focus in on this part for now:

I revisit/repose figures even years later, but that's not the point. Even if someone only poses a figure once and sticks with it forever, the point is he chose the display/pose, not the manufacturer. I only have a few true statues and I know that they look identical to the statues in other peoples collection. There is nothing of my personality and style in them at all. That's why I think Premium Format or "multimedia statues" are better. I only have one PF - Gandalf the Grey, and at least the fabric clothes allow for futzing that makes my display unique. However even that is quite limiting.

I like knowing that each figure in my collection is an entirely unique display, and that I might have a Spiderman that looks like this:

P1140543.jpg

While another guy might have one that looks like this:

P1140936.jpg

Two guys can buy the same figure and have completely different displays. On the other hand a statue, is a statue, is a statue.

Within the confines of our own little pop culture collecting world, there are imaginary lines between scales, companies, statues/toys, but the bottom line is, its ALL nerd culture. Quit trying to be cooler than the other nerds.

Just one nerd group wanting their stuff to be cooler than the other nerd groups' stuff.

Outsiders see it all as tacky geek fetish junk.

Live with it.

Nerds.

:rotfl:goodpost: Just ask your girlfriends/Wives ! my gf used my 1/6 collection as a put down during an argument :(

Poses for action figures don't stay in pose, that long due to the loose hinges/joints. Most often than not, you'd see the same straight pose with the waist/groin stands in between the legs... yuck.

:exactly::hi5:

What you don't mention is that Rambo, T2, and Leo look like sh it compared to their HT counterparts, which is often the case with SS human statues. They nailed IJ though.

well, the thread title is "why do you love statues" and not "why you dont love statues"

we all know some statues are awful.. but the great ones like IJ really awesome... especially when it is in front of you.. :)

well, the thread title is "why do you love statues" and not "why you dont love statues"

we all know some statues are awful.. but the great ones like IJ really awesome... especially when it is in front of you.. :)

I have the ROTLA and had the KoTCS and sold it. So I know how they look. I know what type of thread this is but you keep comparing to HT, so that's why I said what I said. I also have that Iron Man maquette, so I'm not new to statues or HT. Once they get the quality of the statues up a bit more, then I'll be sold on them. Right now they are so hit and miss that it's frustrating.

choose the best of each then.. ?
like previously said, hit and miss is vice versa..

not really comparing to HT on those pics though, just bringing out the best attributes in statues.. :)

otherwise i would have put the most hideous HT pic similar to that awful playdoh roque statue..

I very rarely use stands of any kind. And you will never see Spiderman in my collection standing with his arms at his side.

And 'for what it's worth' I like the look of my Spiderman way more than that statue. That statue looks like something I could buy at a truck stop convenience store...

...okay, that's a little much I'll admit, but honestly, resin statues just look like big dime store trinkets to me. :dunno

...okay, that's a little much I'll admit, but honestly, resin statues just look like big dime store trinkets to me. :dunno

Yeah, that's what I was struggling to say earlier, that comparison is perfect. With the exception of Iron-Man, all those statues dvdwyn posted look like they were sold at the local asian imports shop on a shelf alongside the following:

Gothic%20Fairy%20Statue%20SGF001.jpg

gmerlin1.jpg

lg1fibpirate1914.jpg

I'm certain that if you scattered five of these in 1/3 scale throughout your collection, the average person visiting your home would not think anything was out of place.

You look at the above and think they look awful, right? They're a real eyesore and you'd be embarrassed to have them in your home? Well, I guarantee you the average person walking into your house is looking at your collection the same way. I mean, that Rambo looks like something an amateur hobbyist put together in his garage. And that Terminator, Jesus... That's got character like a piece of feces has character.

I'm honestly baffled as to how anyone can praise such things. I'm trying to comprehend it here and my head begins to hurt. It feels like you absolutely have to kidding, I'm finding it utterly incomprehensible that someone could be impressed by such things as these shown.

If you're looking at the Wizard statue above and thinking to yourself, 'I hope that's available in 1/4 scale,' I would be a lot closer to understanding some of you then. I guess I'm taking that for granted. We should perhaps get that clear first, do you actually look at this Wizard statue and others and think they look like crap or are you thinking of dragging them into Photoshop and adding subtitles like 'pure elegance' and 'noticeable'?

Last edited:
Back