Why do you like The Lord of the Rings/Hobbit? (books/movies)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Why do you like Lord of the Rings? (books/movies)

It is a whole new Universe brought to life, and although it belongs to the fantasy genre, in fact it can be a very realistic story if you read between the lines.

If I have to be more specific, I specially love the race of Elves, who are fierceful and brave in battle but with a strong spiritual/peaceful life. I find "their duality" really interesting.

Both the books and films have endless times of enjoyment without ever getting old.

In specific, I love Frodo. I think his character goes through this amazing--and heartbreaking--transformation through the books. He never asked for what he got, but he did the best with it. It breaks my heart how broken he seems at the end of the books, but I think that is a truth that many don't speak. Many sci-fi/fantasy books have the classic happy ending, but Tolkien doesn't necessarily give us that.

That's hot.

In which order should the books be read? I know The Hobbit before Lord of the Rings, but what about before or after?

Read the Hobbit first, then followed by the LOTR. By reading the hobbit first you'll get to know Bilbo as the tookish & tricky burglar and not merely as Bilbo the old uncle.

Ideally you should finish those two books before tackling the Silmarillion cuz that book can be very dry.

An alternative reading plan would be this:

Get Karen Fonstad's Atlas of middle-earth. It has a good summary of the 1st and 2nd ages of middle earth; i.e. the stuff in the silmarillion. It doesn't cover anything in depth but it gives you a brief overview. Also the book gives you really nice maps to guide you through your hobbit, lotr & silmarillion reads.

Then tackle Hobbit followed by LOTR.

Finally tackle Silmarillion.

Follow that up with Children of Hurin.

I'd skip Children of Hurin. Did NOT enjoy it. I'd go with The Hobbit, LOTR, then The Silmarillion.

The Silmarillion works best as a prequel, not as a start.

It becomes more compelling by dint of the investment you've made in the world by reading Hobbit and LOTR first. And every now and then, a familiar face pops up and rewards you for leaving it to last.

Also, in terms of readability, The Hobbit is the most accessible, LOTR is next and it's historical depth eases you into the attention needed to handle The Silmarillion.

Children of Hurin just feels flaccid to me. It doesn't feel like Middle Earth. It feels much more like Beowulf and the other works that inspired Middle Earth. It doesn't have the spirit or hopefulness or joy of the other two works. Grim. Very grim.

Bump!!!!!!! Now it's just become so freakin epic i can't handle it!

To answer the original question, i always loved high fantasy sword/sorcery being it video games, movies or books.

I used to read all the fantasy books like crazy, but RJ (rip) & wheel of time series made me stop reading books altogether. That was 5 years back, havent touched a fantasy book since. Nowdays i just watch movies/video games.

Lord of the ring is the classic benchmark it has all the stuff that makes up an epic high fantasy, only thing i wished is gandalf is more badass, he didnt do a lot of firepower for such a powerful wizard, yes i understand magic in lotr is more subtle.

Wish they made some good movies around d&d too, there is a treasure trove of lore & stories. Unfortunately the wayne brothers killed any chance of that with one of the worst movies ever made.

There are a lot of nice sci fi movies coming out, unfortunately not on the high fantasy front except the hobbit and wrath of titan (not much hope).

I have read the Hobbit, but still haven't managed to get all the way through the Lord of the rings series, I absolutely loved the movies because of the characters and the landscapes, I just got taken away as if I was there, everytime I watch the movies it is the same feeling, I am not in Australia any more I am in Middle Earth.

I love the way the characters all care about each other and worry for each others safety, and fight to protect each other, something that is very rare here in the real world.

I like the decapitations and the Uruk-Hai.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY4V3UUY95A[/ame]

The Shire, because it reminds me of the very best things from home (and no, I am not from New Zealand).

The epic journey, because for any adventurous person it is a metaphor for life - "The road goes ever on and on. Out from the door where it began".

The romance of Argorn & Arwen, because if you're ever lucky enough to find a woman who is willing to give up her immortality to be by your side, you will have found true love.

Tolkien, for teaching me that language can be the greatest expression of the human imagination.

Back