Why did SSC LOTR 1:6 fail?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I changed the title of this thread - as we are in a Renaissance of LotR 1:6 right now.

Many of the factors have changed now and don't apply.

I can't remember when the line started loosing steam, but there was also the Great Recession that hit most of us in 2008-2009 and that may have pulled people's priorities away from mass collecting. Many here would choose Star Wars and Batman over other choices -- and still do -- at that time when it came to finances for dolls. I think Indiana Jones also suffered a similar fate.

Also G.I. Joe might have just been announced at the very end of the lotr line too.

There was a huge gap in between figures with little news that might have contributed to the loss of steam or it might have been a by product of lack of interest by customers. Aragorn, Legolas and Boromir came out relatively quickly and Faramir was a long wait and arrived before the next figure was even announced if I remember correctly. His epic paint job probably didn't help create pre-orders for the more expensive Frodo and Sam figures either.

Yeah, most likely it was simple: lull in interest for LOTR combined with lackluster Faramir, Frodo and Samwise stretched into too long a time period.

That.... and TDK came out.

I'd say it was a perfect storm of bad things. The economy didn't help, sure. But sideshow was very hush on details and news, and no explanation for huge delays. The hobbits were great figures, but had issues like the split legs that were just.. yikes. The sizing was off too.
But by delaying for so long, and not ever producing any bad guys to give some variety, they kind of doomed the line pretty quickly. You'd have thought they'd try to breathe new life into it but they just gave up, which was sad after the improvements with gandy and the hobbits. Still can't believe I own a damn faramir figure.. :/ if you can even call it that.

So thankful for asmus. Hopefully they give us a saruman one day too, since I sunk 60 bucks to help fun a custom on here and then the maker flaked and ran off. :(

The indy line though.. I don't know what the hell happened with that. I'm still fuming over that. And the hot toys treatment of indy and star wars until recently. But that's a whole other ballgame.

Bad figures are bad.

Also partly the same reason Watchmen line failed of HT. Really HT, silk spectre?

That line really needed to start with Rorschach.

Bad figures are bad.

Also partly the same reason Watchmen line failed of HT. Really HT, silk spectre?

That line really needed to start with Rorschach.

Rorchach is a pinnacle character. They probably went the Silk Spectre route because some dudes love their lady figures..... but it was a bad character choice. I would have loved Rorscach, Night Owl and Ozymandias. The designs for them were so well done in the film.

For me LOTR is one of the absolute greatest movie series of all time. There is nothing I love more than watching the extended editions with my wife. For some reason the compulsion to collect it is just not there. It is strange i know! I have no real explanation for it. Even right now I have the Asmus Witch King and Gothmog but I feel no attachment. I even think the character design of LOTR is some of the best out there.

Rorchach is a pinnacle character. They probably went the Silk Spectre route because some dudes love their lady figures..... but it was a bad character choice. I would have loved Rorscach, Night Owl and Ozymandias. The designs for them were so well done in the film.

For me LOTR is one of the absolute greatest movie series of all time. There is nothing I love more than watching the extended editions with my wife. For some reason the compulsion to collect it is just not there. It is strange i know! I have no real explanation for it. Even right now I have the Asmus Witch King and Gothmog but I feel no attachment. I even think the character design of LOTR is some of the best out there.

I know the feeling. Only Gandalf the grey is an must for me personally and Gimli and Aragorn. Rest? Meh not so much. Rorschach I'd buy in a heartbeat.

I believe someone is making one on the interest threads. I believe Yunsil is the tailor, so it will be a top notch figure for sure!

One that won't cost me more than 200$. ^_-

I'd rather not spend an entire monthly salary on a figure and incidently ruin my current 6 year relationship with my girlfriend. :lol

I think we are seeing some of the same mistakes Sideshow made being made by these new companies. If the sculpt and paint apps aren't spot on, the product will struggle in this day and age. Hot toys has really set the bar pretty high. If getting that right is a monetary issue for the company, I'd recommend cutting corners somewhere else (clothing / boxes / even body). It is much easier for the average Joe to improve the clothing, body, weathering etc, than it is to fix a poor sculpt/paint app.

Back