Why did SSC LOTR 1:6 fail?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow stopped making LOTR 1/6 scale figures because they were saving it all for their Pacific Rim line.

:fart

Del Toro must have invested HEAVY into the line, or convinced Sideshow it was a good idea. Christ.

It's failing way more than the LOTR 1/6 line. But I'm one of those dummies that bought all of the LOTR figures and now have an incomplete collection. :dunno

Good points. It seems like Sideshow just lost interest half way through and decided not to bother pursuing this line. :dunno which is a shame as a Fellowship in this line would have been great. Hopefully Asmus can now plug the gaps for those who are still interested in collecting 1/6 scale LotR.

The one figure that I do really like is SSC's Frodo. I like the smaller body they created and his body isn't as bad as the regular Sideshow bodies of the time. The only downside is they gave you a stand for a regular figure so Frodo doesn't quite touch the bottom:dunno

I need to pick up Sam.

It's failing way more than the LOTR 1/6 line. But I'm one of those dummies that bought all of the LOTR figures and now have an incomplete collection. :dunno

Same here! :( Oh well at least I have a complete Fellowship in my Sideshow Weta Busts!

The one figure that I do really like is SSC's Frodo. I like the smaller body they created and his body isn't as bad as the regular Sideshow bodies of the time. The only downside is they gave you a stand for a regular figure so Frodo doesn't quite touch the bottom:dunno

I need to pick up Sam.
I think they were headed in the right direction when they quit. I thought Gandalf, Frodo, and Sam were all great. I just thought the whole process was mismanaged. From the first couple figures looking so much different that the prototypes, the long wait times between releases, and the debacle that was Faramir, by the time the line started turning around collecters didn't care.

I Hope Asmus learned something from Sideshows failure. Judging by their first figure, excluding the BS tape fix, the released figure looks just like the prototype. The release date was a little off but I'll chalk that up to getting a new line off the ground. Some will disagree but I'm also giving them a pass on the tape. I think they rushed the figure out before taking the time to see if the mechanics of the body would work with the metal accesories this set comes with. I got an email from them stating that they are working with KP to fix the body problem for future releases.

Last edited:
I guess I don't hate the Faramir figure as much as some. I mean, he does a have a shiny head. He's not the most popular character, but he can do some cool poses with his Bow and Arrow.

However, he should have came after the Fellowship.

I guess I don't hate the Faramir figure as much as some. I mean, he does a have a shiny head. He's not the most popular character, but he can do some cool poses with his Bow and Arrow.

However, he should have came after the Fellowship.
The biggest problem with Faramir was being released when he was. Throw in the atrocious paint job on the sculpt and the boots and that's why I say debacle.

The paint was always the issue with Faramir. He was a character fans had been wanting for a while but the paint messsed things up.

So many people complaining about the paint and the sculpts of this line. Might I remind that the Faramir Exclusive was only $65!!! Well worth the price just for the accessories and costume.

92111_press04-001.jpg

Wow this thread again!

My few cents:

1) Faramir's paint job was below industry standard at the time of his release

2) There was a base line rise in the cost of figures. Remeber the price jump. Frodo cost more than Faramir.

3) There was a huge time lapse in between the figures. In fact by the time Frodo, Sam and Gandalf (probably the three best figures of the line) came out most casual fans had moved on. I think all the EE version of the DVD had been out for a while before any of those three arrived.

4) Character selection to a smaller degree. I still think if they had cranked them out fast they might had been able to get us 5 to 8 more figures before there was the drop off in intrest but if they had mixed in some of the badguys they might have been able to get some other people buying the figures.

Wow this thread again!

My few cents:

1) Faramir's paint job was below industry standard at the time of his release

2) There was a base line rise in the cost of figures. Remeber the price jump. Frodo cost more than Faramir.

3) There was a huge time lapse in between the figures. In fact by the time Frodo, Sam and Gandalf (probably the three best figures of the line) came out most casual fans had moved on. I think all the EE version of the DVD had been out for a while before any of those three arrived.

4) Character selection to a smaller degree. I still think if they had cranked them out fast they might had been able to get us 5 to 8 more figures before there was the drop off in intrest but if they had mixed in some of the badguys they might have been able to get some other people buying the figures.
The price for all those SSLOTR figures especially the exclusive was a freakin bargain. Try to get any of them today at the original prices. For what they were they were freakin great

The price for all those SSLOTR figures especially the exclusive was a freakin bargain. Try to get any of them today at the original prices. For what they were they were freakin great

Yes but Strider, Legolas and Faramir were at the standard SS price for 1/6 figures of that time period. Frodo and Sam went up for pre-order when SS' figures made a price jump and their price compared to what Faramir cost was surprising and seemed high at the time. Gandalf came out around the time of the new promethious (sp?) body came out and figures were up around $100 plus for SS if my memory is correct so people who had shelled out $50 to $65 a figure were now asked to shell out around $100 and in the long wait time between Faramir and the hobbits and the intrest just wasn't there for the cost.

There was a time when you could get people unloading the figures for under $40. I think I got my 3rd set of hobbits for a total of $40.

I just recently started collecting Sideshow's LOTR line. When they came out initially, I wasn't really interested in LOTR figures. Now I've been able to find Aragorn/Strider and Faramir for about or less than retail and a Boromir for $75 shipped (more than retail but less than the current going rate of about $100).

I think more frequent releases and more bad guys would have helped the line. I'm disappointed the line was discontinued, but I'm hopeful that Asmus and ACI can pick up the reins.

If the 9 members of the fellowship arent released then begining a collection seems pointless. Only last week i got my first figures from this line (sam and frodo) then hopefully do custom merry and pippin, then look to asmus for the big folk ;-) and gimli hopefully.

Back