Why did SSC LOTR 1:6 fail?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) No bad guys.
2) The release schedule was painfully slow.
3) Some releases were head scratchers (Faramir???).
4) Paint apps were inconsistent (Faramir???).
5) LotR fans who collect 1:6 seem to be the minority.
6) The figures were expensive (at the time :lol)

In short SS failed to inspire their customers to be loyal to the line.

Done! Thread can now be closed!

Strange. I thought the costuming was definitely one of the more praiseworthy features of 1:6 line. In fact, it was the justification that many had for the slightly higher than normal prices at the time.

I wasn't knocking the quality of the costumes, I actually thought the tailoring looked to be very well done. I thought some of the clothes looked bulky and didn't seem to fit the some of the figures very well - especially Frodo and Sam.

I do agree that not having any villains didn't help things. I know I would have bought a Ringwraith if one would have been made.

When the Frodo and Sam started to look like Tonner dolls . . .that's when things started to go downhill . . . They probably could've squeezed more money had they released a Gimli. IMHO Sideshow did not want to invest in a new body type which was the big discussion. Their foray into Hobbit-size figures was not well-met, because the scale wasn't there, and the sculpts were sub-par.

If anything, the Boromir 1/6 fig was the best of them all, even though he didn't come with his cape.

And like Josh, I also own each one of the Exclusive releases.

When the Frodo and Sam started to look like Tonner dolls . . .that's when things started to go downhill . . . They probably could've squeezed more money had they released a Gimli. IMHO Sideshow did not want to invest in a new body type which was the big discussion. Their foray into Hobbit-size figures was not well-met, because the scale wasn't there, and the sculpts were sub-par.

If anything, the Boromir 1/6 fig was the best of them all, even though he didn't come with his cape.

And like Josh, I also own each one of the Exclusive releases.

that's what i have been saying, it's very difficult to pull off good 1/6 for lotr, because most of the characters & costumes (on the good guy side) are just plain looking humanoids, you will ended up with a bunch toy looking dolls if not careful which is what happened here. Unlike ironman/predator etc..that are easily distinguishable and made to look cool. To do this right, they need 100% likeness, weathering effects, extreme detail etc...HT may be able to pull it off without looking like a toys r us doll but it would cost $200+ which is the same price as 1/5 statues, and as we noted lotr collectors mostly prefer statues if the price is the same....So this is not an easy task & why noone tried the 1/6 again after its failure.

I really think if sideshow stuck to the 1/6 but instead released the bad guys like ringwraith, many orcs etc..and occasionally throw in a good guy the series would still be alive right now. Because the bad guys are much easier to do in 1/6 to make it look cool & not just a barbie doll.

I don't think the line ever recovered from the production Aragorn being such a step down from the beautiful prototype. That was a big loss of momentum right out of the gate.

that's what i have been saying, it's very difficult to pull off good 1/6 for lotr, because most of the characters & costumes (on the good guy side) are just plain looking humanoids, you will ended up with a bunch toy looking dolls if not careful which is what happened here. Unlike ironman/predator etc..that are easily distinguishable and made to look cool. To do this right, they need 100% likeness, weathering effects, extreme detail etc...HT may be able to pull it off without looking like a toys r us doll but it would cost $200+ which is the same price as 1/5 statues, and as we noted lotr collectors mostly prefer statues if the price is the same....So this is not an easy task & why noone tried the 1/6 again after its failure.

I really think if sideshow stuck to the 1/6 but instead released the bad guys like ringwraith, many orcs etc..and occasionally throw in a good guy the series would still be alive right now. Because the bad guys are much easier to do in 1/6 to make it look cool & not just a barbie doll.

Need more bad guys - but subpar quality was the real issue the 1st time around - Captain Jack is a similar character and that figure pops.

i must say the new maquette line are fantastic detailed but here comes
price plus customs is getting beyond most people to collect all the statues and ebay people are waiting for stuff to sell on ebay at alot less than ss prices as with every thing people are paying bills rather than collecting

so its upto ss to produce statues that collectors must have which havent been done before
no riders is a big issue i have with them

It certainly was not because of me. I bought three of each of the 1:6 scale figures.

I blame everyone who did not.

:)

by the the time I got into 1/6 collecting, I had to go to ebay for all my SS LOTR figures thinking more would come and unfortunately no. These were my first "high end" figures and it sucks that no other company (EB or HT) wants to pic up the license to make more for 1/6 figures

I can't stand a few of the LOTR 1/6 figures like Legolas. I wish I hadn't purchased him.

I'm more interested in collecting Statues for LOTR. Some of the PF for LOTR are breathtaking.

I can't stand a few of the LOTR 1/6 figures like Legolas. I wish I hadn't purchased him.

I'm more interested in collecting Statues for LOTR. Some of the PF for LOTR are breathtaking.

You could always sell him off.

Hopefully we'll still be getting PFs, but not sure anymore. :(

If SS made the fellowship as shown in the FOTR . No failure but Quick sell out! If they made after that a bad guy series, Saruman, Lurtz, Moyth of Sauron, Denethor, Shagrat, etc, etc also sold out

Hmm... why did this suddently resurface ?

Asmus is doing some great stuff with this licence.

My two cents

(1) Failure to commit to producing the whole of the fellowship
(2) A lack of villains
(3) Crappy base bodies

#1 was the biggest issue. At the time there were lots of folk holding off awaiting confirmation that we wouldn't be left with half the fellowship.

Hmm... why did this suddently resurface ?

Asmus is doing some great stuff with this licence.

My two cents

(1) Failure to commit to producing the whole of the fellowship
(2) A lack of villains
(3) Crappy base bodies

#1 was the biggest issue. At the time there were lots of folk holding off awaiting confirmation that we wouldn't be left with half the fellowship.

Good points. It seems like Sideshow just lost interest half way through and decided not to bother pursuing this line. :dunno which is a shame as a Fellowship in this line would have been great. Hopefully Asmus can now plug the gaps for those who are still interested in collecting 1/6 scale LotR.

Back