Why Chewbacca SHOULD NOT have real fur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ewoks could be done easily I think because they weren't persay hairy, they were like walking affros. Hasbro's Wicket bean back is just a type of cloth and it comes pretty close to Ewok fur.

Can you imagine how people are going to feel if fuzzy ewoks come out before a hairy Chewbacca? It'll be like 1983 all over again.

I think the Chewbacca issues is a no win, especially if Ewoks came out before him. The fact is, people want Chewbacca now, but they want him with real fur and done right. If they did it now I don't think it could come out right, so if they rush and give a crappy fur Chewie, then people will say whoever made him should have spent more time getting it right. The trouble is, there is no manufacturered precedent for this, as far as I'm aware, GOOD 1/6 furry figures is uncharted waters.

I honestly think people are expecting to much of Sideshow when it comes to things like a fur covered Chewie. For some reason, the Jabba set seems to have convinced folks that SSC should be able to do anything in 1/6 scale when in reality there's no real engineering feat involved in making that set, it's just a big lump of vinyl on a big lump of stone. Ever since that set was shown, expectations for future releases have gotten more and more impractical.

TheObsoleteMan said:
I honestly think people are expecting to much of Sideshow when it comes to things like a fur covered Chewie. For some reason, the Jabba set seems to have convinced folks that SSC should be able to do anything in 1/6 scale when in reality there's no real engineering feat involved in making that set, it's just a big lump of vinyl on a big lump of stone. Ever since that set was shown, expectations for future releases have gotten more and more impractical.

I don't think there's anything wrong with high expectations after Jabba, but I think a more realistic expectation to come of that would be something like a Chewbacca sculpted in a style like Gentle Giant. Yes, fur would be more film accurate and better in ways, but Chewbacca should be treated like the rest of the SSC line, a huge step above Hasbro, but maybe not as advanced as is possible, and a well sculpted Chewie would do just that. SSC is full of talented sculptors, but that's just it, sculptors, not wig masters or fur makers, and I think their sculpting skill to do a great Chewie and considering the flops Hasbro cranked out, I would love to have SOME great Chewbacca in this scale that looks like it should. I'd love fur as much as the rest of those wanting it, but I'd want it to look just like he got plucked out of a film still, and I just don't think cost efficient means is at a point that could crank out a furry Chewbacca, so the best hope of getting one anytime soon would be sculpted, and GG has show that a sculpted Chewie can look pretty damn good, I'd love to have a Chewie as nice as GG's statue with articulation added to it.

TheObsoleteMan said:

Sideshow used to give the collector what they wanted. Now we get the Endor Rebel bundle. Nuff said.

kodiak8658 said:
Sideshow used to give the collector what they wanted. Now we get the Endor Rebel bundle. Nuff said.

Is there any pleasing you? I mean really I am hard pressed to remeber seeing you say one positive thing. Just because you didn't like the Endor Rebels doesnt mean that others didnt. If your so positive that a real fur Chewbacca can be done then go ahead and make your own. Realistically I don't think it can be done on a full production level and maintain the quality we would see in a prototype. And the reason we got ERTs before Chewie and the droids... NON STANDARD BODY TYPE. R2-D2, C-3PO and Chewbacca will all be non standard body types. I can see C-3PO being done possibly in vinyl or another plastic but it will not be just parts snapped onto a Buck body. SS isnt Hasbro that can just make up tooling, costs be damned. SS doesnt have loss leader lines, they can't make a tool up and then just spread the cost around. The droids and Chewbacca will be more expensive. If you don't like that or don't want to wait, well I dont know what to tell you then. And you can tear into me all you like, because I am sure that you will. :rolleyes: :chew :chew

If they can make something as big and impressive as Jabba then why can't they make Chew F'n Bacca?!?!? They put so much effort into Jabba but they can't put the same amount of effort into Chewie, or Vader, or Boba Fett, or Stormtroopers, or Clone Troopers... yet they hype the crap out of the Lumberjack Pack. Oy.

Jabba is just a sculpted piece though, I don't know how people can see Jabba and think why isn't Chewbacca done. Jabba is like a multipart PF or statue piece, which Sideshow has been doing for years, and he's also a character that requires no articulation. To say you've done Jabba why not Chewie is like saying you've been making products for years, why no Chewie. Whether you think Sideshow gives you their best or not, they feel they are and they work hard to give it to us, and they're not going to just settle on a Chewie to hush us, they'll give us Chewie when they think they can do it in a manner that'll best represent them as company, best serve us as the collectors, and meet LFL requirements, that's it. I love Sideshow, but they're not a Superman of collectibles, no one is, Chewie would be a daunting task for anyone, Medi, HT, Sideshow, it's not the easiest creature type to produce in articulated 1/6 scale, but when he finally comes I'm sure he'll be magnificent. There is so much more to look forward to this year, I'm sure if we get a 1/6 Ben Kenobi done beautifully and a great ANH Han Solo, it'll be easy to feel ok not having Chewie, but I think people are letting their personal wish lists affect their feelings towards Sideshow too much, they're going to make and give us what works for them, when it works for them, how it works for them, like any other company, and all we can do is just take each item offered as it comes, and judge whether we want it or not, and if there are a few pass items, so be it, you enjoy other collectibles coming out and ones you already own and when something new comes that you do like and want, get it and enjoy it, there is so much fun to be had in collecting, but some people seem like they get on the verge of having ulcers and aneurysms about quality and what pieces should come out, it's a hobby, something fun, enjoy it, life's too short to expel such anguish over a plastic figure.

That's not the point. The point is they give us the Lumberjack Pack when they could have given us any of the above mentioned characters which are more important to the line. All I see is a pattern of reluctance to do any armored characters that use the non-standard Sideshow Buck body. If they can't dress a Buck and stick a headsculpt on it then it gets passed over unless of course it's an easy humanoid figure. I want wookies, droids, and armored troop builders. We need some variety. If Medicom can do it there is simply NO excuse why Sideshow cannot. None.

dekadentdave said:
That's not the point. The point is they give us the Lumberjack Pack when they could have given us any of the above mentioned characters which are more important to the line.

I think that's an arguable point. I, for one, am happy to see the Endor troopers, and plan to eventually own all of them (I would be buying them all right now if I wasn't still reeling from just purchasing Jabba and being about to purchase Robocop and the damaged ED-209).

Sheesh, it's just one release. It's not like they gave us a whole year of Random Rebel Dudes.

dekadentdave said:
If they can't dress a Buck and stick a headsculpt on it then it gets passed over unless of course it's an easy humanoid figure.

Jabba? Bubo and Salacious Crumb?

dekadentdave said:
I want wookies, droids, and armored troop builders. We need some variety. If Medicom can do it there is simply NO excuse why Sideshow cannot. None.

Medicom has done armored figures, but they haven't given us the droids or Chewie, yet, either. I'm anxiously awaiting Sideshow's entries into this category, but I'm sure they will come soon enough. They've pnly been doing this whole Star Wars thing for about a year in 1:6 ya know.

TheObsoleteMan said:
it's just a big lump of vinyl on a big lump of stone.
Haven't you heard? That's plastic too, plastic. :monkey3

Being serious now, I think sideshow is going to give us things like the rebel troopers interspersed with more popular figures because it wouldn't be too wise to give us all the popular people first. Number one having less important people gives those with less money a breather while still giving cool figures to those with more cash to burn. Number two if they do all the popular people first interest will die down and what will we have to look forward to?

Agent0028 said:
Being serious now, I think sideshow is going to give us things like the rebel troopers interspersed with more popular figures because it wouldn't be too wise to give us all the popular people first. Number one having less important people gives those with less money a breather while still giving cool figures to those with more cash to burn. Number two if they do all the popular people first interest will die down and what will we have to look forward to?

Hear hear! Bring on the Wat Tambor!

I still believe in the 'build-a-bear' concept. Synthetic hair on fabric isn't that rare...

While there is no doubt that a 1/6 real fur Chewbacca is probably the hardest figure for any company to do well,based on their SW output so far Sideshow would be the last company I expect to suceed in doing so. They already struggle to make the most basic attire to a high standard so barring a miracle there's little to no chance that a Sideshow Chewbacca would look much better than any of the Hasbro ones whether furred or otherwise. Instead of delivering Chewie or other much wanted characters that they keep avoiding they'll probably make a figure of some guy that was just off camera when Han shot Greedo or sell a bottle of Tatooine sand with a bit of Bantha poodoo as an Exclusive :D

Last edited:
I would buy Tattooine sand and bottled water from Naboo. A little chunk of Alderaan would be awesome too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back