Why Chewbacca SHOULD NOT have real fur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cocoboloboy said:
And no, $1500 was not a misprint. I wish I would have kept that Marty McFly auction. It went for around that if I remember right, maybe someone else remembers it.
He included a bunch of custom extras like the note Marty wrote that the Doc ripped up, the guitar he played at the dance, the picture of his family that was in the neck of the guitar,some other stuff too, all in scale. It was a really cool custom. $1500 worth of cool...not to me but it obviously was to the person who bought it.

These are 12" figures right? Granted there is a lot of hard work put into the details and all, but I spend WAY more than I should on many collectibles, and I've got great, large scale pieces for a 1/3 of the price, you'd have to be like and fan more insane than anyone on these boards to spend that much on an action figure, I feel bad spending $150 on a Medi figure sometimes.

tomandshell said:
I don't believe that all the tree-hugging Wookiee rights activists would ever allow the kind of mass fur harvesting that would be required to produce this figure in large quantities.

:chew :emperor

Even if they use Bantha fur?

Memnoch21 said:
I would dare to say your speculation is absolutely 100% wrong. SS, as far as I've heard, has a license to produce any figure they want from the entire Saga and EU. The reason they haven't done Chewie or the droids yet is the simple engineering logistics. They don't want to just re-do what Hasbro has done, they want them to look as phenominal as possible for as reasonable a price as possible.

I'd say your guess at SS having the licensing and is holding back because of logistics problems is 100% inaccurate. 3 Endor Rebels and no Chewy, R2 or C3 disproves that theory. Endor Rebels before these big 3? Hmmm.

And since when does SS make or not make items based on what other companies have done? The fact that all three of these main characters have not been done but SS has produced 2 Lukes and 2 Leias tells me they cannot be done. So you're saying Hasbro is able to produce figures and SS doesn't have their abilities? :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

MaulFan said:
I wouldn't say that, to call this discussion moot would be like saying we might as well have no discussion about anything. This chat has value, and I think we're having a civil discussion and sharing some good points on both sides of the matter, and this same discussion will be had if and when Sideshow or someone gives us a 1/6 Chewbacca, nothing wrong with discussion about anything, so long as it can be civil.

A moot point because I feel the reason SS hasn't produced Chewy is because they can't for licensing reasons. It's always nice to dream and wish. The reality is, where's Chewy?

Outlander said:
This discussion is moot insofar as Sideshow said at Toy Fair there were currently no plans to do Chewie or the droids. If they happen, they'll be years away.

But in the meantime, speculate away!

Years away? That about proves my point of not having the licensing. They don't feel they are capable enough, or do they have to wait for current licensing agreements to expire? What makes more sense?

Licensing isn't an issue. They don't limit licenses by each character but rather the way they are represented.

Besides, Sideshow has said before that they are trying to come up with a solution for Chewbacca, like a year ago or something they said they were working on that, along with other non-standard characters, like female characters with exposed joints and stuff.

BTW, when during Toy Fair did Sideshow ever say that Chewbacca and the droids are far away from being made? That would make very little sense with the release of the holochess table, that'd be like releasing Jabba's Throne Environment without Jabba or any other characters.

darthviper107 said:
Licensing isn't an issue. They don't limit licenses by each character but rather the way they are represented.

Besides, Sideshow has said before that they are trying to come up with a solution for Chewbacca, like a year ago or something they said they were working on that, along with other non-standard characters, like female characters with exposed joints and stuff.

BTW, when during Toy Fair did Sideshow ever say that Chewbacca and the droids are far away from being made? That would make very little sense with the release of the holochess table, that'd be like releasing Jabba's Throne Environment without Jabba or any other characters.

You seem sure that licensing isn't an issue. Please elaborate on 'how the character is represented' and support with any links to these 'facts'. I am not out to disprove your statements, but would like to learn about licensing for these collectibles.

I don't know of any links but as much as I've learned from people who have heard from companies things are licensed by what format the object will be in.

For instance, Lego has Star Wars characters, but they are represented as a building toy, Hasbro has Star Wars characters, but they are represented as a small action figure, Sideshow has Star Wars characters, represented as 12" figures, 1/4th Scale Premium Format figures, and Dioramas. Gentle Giant has a license as well, for small busts and statues.

So basically, any of these companies can create the same characters, but not in the same format, For instance, Hasbro can't make 12" figures right now because Sideshow has the license for that format, and Sideshow can't make statues or small action figures. It doesn't matter if all of them make a product of Han Solo, they'll all be in different formats.

However, Lucas Licensing does have the power to approve when characters are going to be made, if they don't want a Chewbacca 12" figure out right now then they could stop Sideshow from doing that, but I doubt that they'd do that since Sideshow is pretty good about releasing figures at the right time and so the main intervention from Lucas is just how the figure actually will look.

It could be pushed back because of that, but I'd doubt it.

I can totally imagine a jumpsuit with a small zipper in the back, with a little extra length in the sleeves and pant legs to allow for articulation. I mean come on. I've seen plenty of multi-length furry suits at 'Build-a-Bear'. My niece just had one made last month. Why not for 1/6?

darthviper107 said:
I don't know of any links but as much as I've learned from people who have heard from companies things are licensed by what format the object will be in.

For instance, Lego has Star Wars characters, but they are represented as a building toy, Hasbro has Star Wars characters, but they are represented as a small action figure, Sideshow has Star Wars characters, represented as 12" figures, 1/4th Scale Premium Format figures, and Dioramas. Gentle Giant has a license as well, for small busts and statues.

So basically, any of these companies can create the same characters, but not in the same format, For instance, Hasbro can't make 12" figures right now because Sideshow has the license for that format, and Sideshow can't make statues or small action figures. It doesn't matter if all of them make a product of Han Solo, they'll all be in different formats.

However, Lucas Licensing does have the power to approve when characters are going to be made, if they don't want a Chewbacca 12" figure out right now then they could stop Sideshow from doing that, but I doubt that they'd do that since Sideshow is pretty good about releasing figures at the right time and so the main intervention from Lucas is just how the figure actually will look.

It could be pushed back because of that, but I'd doubt it.

Thanks for the explanation. I always thought that the license was aquired to do the line or do the line with restrictions on some items. Never knew it was for a specific format within the line.

I think size is an issue in licensing too because I remember speculation on here that Sideshow may not be able to do a 1/4 scale Yoda because his height would fall under a different company's license. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

darthviper107 said:
I think that would depend on how it's done. But I'd doubt they would do a 1/4th scale Premium Format Yoda, too small.

What? I think they will, with light up saber. Frodo's a shorty and they made him, not as short as Yoda, but still.

Judging from Sideshow's history of neglecting difficult to produce figures *kough* Kurgan and the lack of a Chewie announcement for the Chess Table accessory, I'd say that Chewie might end up going the way of the *kough* Kurgan in this line. Here we are, over a year into this line on the eve of the 30th anniversary and no Chewie, no Vader, no Stormtroopers, no Fett and no Droids in sight. Is Sideshow just going to rely on Medicom to make all of the armored figures which are not to scale with their own? What's the deal? Why can't they produce these figures themselves? I think Star Wars fans may ultimately end up disappointed by the absence of specific characters ala "other" licenses they have produced and are now defunct because of it.

According to this thread WorGar and Hurricane both own furred Chewbacca customs... wonder if we could get them to chime in here since they have the articles in hand.

I'm certain it's possible; the question is, can it be done for a reasonable price in a mass-produced manner? How much would we be willing to pay for a well done, furred Chewie? I know I'd go at least $100-$120 for one.

Amazing things can be done in the scale. Check out this custom Wampa that was based almost totally off the Hasbro bendy one....

dekadentdave said:
Judging from Sideshow's history of neglecting difficult to produce figures *kough* Kurgan and the lack of a Chewie announcement for the Chess Table accessory, I'd say that Chewie might end up going the way of the *kough* Kurgan in this line. Here we are, over a year into this line on the eve of the 30th anniversary and no Chewie, no Vader, no Stormtroopers, no Fett and no Droids in sight. Is Sideshow just going to rely on Medicom to make all of the armored figures which are not to scale with their own? What's the deal? Why can't they produce these figures themselves? I think Star Wars fans may ultimately end up disappointed by the absence of specific characters ala "other" licenses they have produced and are now defunct because of it.

The difference in $tar War$ $ell$, Highlander didn't. Modern MacLeod and Kurgan should have been the first figures followed by their Medieval versions, then they could have added the silly TV show versions.

Chewy will be made.

metaphorge said:
According to this thread WorGar and Hurricane both own furred Chewbacca customs... wonder if we could get them to chime in here since they have the articles in hand.

I'm certain it's possible; the question is, can it be done for a reasonable price in a mass-produced manner? How much would we be willing to pay for a well done, furred Chewie? I know I'd go at least $100-$120 for one.

Amazing things can be done in the scale. Check out this custom Wampa that was based almost totally off the Hasbro bendy one....

In an older thread about this matter, Wor-Gar did post images of his and it was met with the same opinions here, fur lovers really liked what they saw and cautious fur buyers like myself took issue with some points and that's why as we come here again, we're still not convinced it could be pulled off just right. Now the Wampa you linked looks great, but I think the fact that the Wampa is a bulky beast lends itself to some of the "give a figure fur" options and all, but Chewie is just a tall skinny dude and any sythetic fur would have to be pretty tight to a base body. I don't doubt great customs and a great prototype could be done, but I fear sythetic fur would go the way of Hasbro furry Chewbacca once it came to production, and I don't want to be spending $80 on a catastrophe, or rather I would cancel the order so money wouldn't be lost, but I'd be saddened to see what could be our only shot at a great 1/6 Chewbacca figure become a freakish waste of resources.

MaulFan said:
In an older thread about this matter, Wor-Gar did post images of his and it was met with the same opinions here, fur lovers really liked what they saw and cautious fur buyers like myself took issue with some points and that's why as we come here again, we're still not convinced it could be pulled off just right. Now the Wampa you linked looks great, but I think the fact that the Wampa is a bulky beast lends itself to some of the "give a figure fur" options and all, but Chewie is just a tall skinny dude and any sythetic fur would have to be pretty tight to a base body. I don't doubt great customs and a great prototype could be done, but I fear sythetic fur would go the way of Hasbro furry Chewbacca once it came to production, and I don't want to be spending $80 on a catastrophe, or rather I would cancel the order so money wouldn't be lost, but I'd be saddened to see what could be our only shot at a great 1/6 Chewbacca figure become a freakish waste of resources.

Hasbro tried both sculpted and fur Chewies. The furball Chewie looked like a furry gnome and the sculpted Chewie looked like a big brown turd. Even if Chewie is sculpted with PF quality it will look like a statue and not like a real figure. Hurricane and others have shown us how authentic and screen accurate a furred Chewie could be. Unfortunately Sideshow could never produce something that looks as good as those guys made them. It's far too complicated, each figure would have to be hand crafted and haired and it wouldn't be profitable for them unless they charged an exorbant amount for him.

dekadentdave said:
Hasbro tried both sculpted and fur Chewies. The furball Chewie looked like a furry gnome and the sculpted Chewie looked like a big brown turd. Even if Chewie is sculpted with PF quality it will look like a statue and not like a real figure. Hurricane and others have shown us how authentic and screen accurate a furred Chewie could be. Unfortunately Sideshow could never produce something that looks as good as those guys made them. It's far too complicated, each figure would have to be hand crafted and haired and it wouldn't be profitable for them unless they charged an exorbant amount for him.

I have yet to see anyone with a custom furry Chewie that looked like it was taken out of the film, they all look off in one way or another. Sculpted may look like a statue, but at least the style allows you the ability to get a more screen accurate style to his hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back