Why Chewbacca SHOULD NOT have real fur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kodiak8658 said:
I think this thread is unfortunately a moot point.

I wouldn't say that, to call this discussion moot would be like saying we might as well have no discussion about anything. This chat has value, and I think we're having a civil discussion and sharing some good points on both sides of the matter, and this same discussion will be had if and when Sideshow or someone gives us a 1/6 Chewbacca, nothing wrong with discussion about anything, so long as it can be civil.

I see lots of people saying "it has to be real fur or nothing at all" , but I remember somebody posted pictures of the SS Han figure with a GG bust (I think) of chewy next to it, and it looked (in my eyes) amazing.

If SS could produce a sculpted chewy that looked this good (or better) I would absolutely buy it!. Plus... given the troubles that we all have getting the clothing to look good on our figures, how bad do you think it's going to be getting fluffy fur to look in any way good. We'll all be spraying water on our figures and using hair gel on them :lol

hunky_artist said:
We'll all be spraying water on our figures and using hair gel on them :lol

OK--- that's when I officially stop collecting.:rotfl

It would be easier to make a 12" statue but who wants that? Can't move it. what's the point?

All things considered, for it's scale, the Hasbro VOTC Chewbacca was excellent for a sculpted hair Chewbacca, and I think if SSC or anyone applies the same principles and uses the larger scale to make improvement, it'll look nice.

This discussion is moot insofar as Sideshow said at Toy Fair there were currently no plans to do Chewie or the droids. If they happen, they'll be years away.

But in the meantime, speculate away!

Has anybody ever seen the custom Marty Mcfly and Maximus figures that showed up on ebay a while ago? The guy who did these was getting about $1500+ each and they were awesome. This same customizer has a web site and just recently he finished a real fur Chewy, looks great.

I don't have the link to it here but when I get to work Monday I'll post it. Maybe one of you guys have seen his site and know who I'm talking about.

Anyways, when I saw it it gave me hope that someday one of these companies will follow his lead. I'd definitely by one. The most realistic looking in scale fur I have ever seen.

I don't care how great a custom Chewie comes out because that's like a prototype, any fur Chewie would have to survive the production process, I would have to see a furry 1/6 figure done in mass production to give me some hope this could be done.

That custom looks ok by itself, but in the image below, he looks wayyyy too beefed up, Chewie was slender, and the head, like most furry customs, looks too off in proportions.

chewiehan.jpg

Wow, my only complaint is that Chewie is too light. Needs to be darker, especially on top.

hunky_artist said:
I see lots of people saying "it has to be real fur or nothing at all" , but I remember somebody posted pictures of the SS Han figure with a GG bust (I think) of chewy next to it, and it looked (in my eyes) amazing.

If SS could produce a sculpted chewy that looked this good (or better) I would absolutely buy it!. Plus... given the troubles that we all have getting the clothing to look good on our figures, how bad do you think it's going to be getting fluffy fur to look in any way good. We'll all be spraying water on our figures and using hair gel on them :lol

Here's that shot...

355575902_651616a3d2.jpg

I would go with whatever version Sideshow can produce that looks good....if that's "fur", great...if it's sculpted (like the GG bust) but looks as good as it does, I could accept limited articulation so long as what articulation there was allowed for some of the more iconic poses...

Unfortunately, I think it's gonna be awhile before Sideshow visits this character in any format...

Cocoboloboy said:
Has anybody ever seen the custom Marty Mcfly and Maximus figures that showed up on ebay a while ago? The guy who did these was getting about $1500+ each and they were awesome. This same customizer has a web site and just recently he finished a real fur Chewy, looks great.

I don't have the link to it here but when I get to work Monday I'll post it. Maybe one of you guys have seen his site and know who I'm talking about.

Anyways, when I saw it it gave me hope that someday one of these companies will follow his lead. I'd definitely by one. The most realistic looking in scale fur I have ever seen.
Please tell me that there is an accidental zero in that figure.

Ya, gotta agree with you there, hope that is a typo, they're great customs but not $1500 quality.

I would love to have a real fur Chewie but honestly there are so many potential problems I think it would be better to go with a sculpted version.

To quote Luke Skywalker, "You want the impossible."

As cool as a real fur 1/6 Chewie would be, a nice looking mass produced one seems like a virtual impossibility.

That's the site I was talking about. I think the fur on his Chewy looks great. If anybody can find another custom furry Chewy that looks better I'd love to see it. I'm not an expert on production figure making so I have no idea how difficult something like this would be. I just want one.:monkey5

And no, $1500 was not a misprint. I wish I would have kept that Marty McFly auction. It went for around that if I remember right, maybe someone else remembers it.
He included a bunch of custom extras like the note Marty wrote that the Doc ripped up, the guitar he played at the dance, the picture of his family that was in the neck of the guitar,some other stuff too, all in scale. It was a really cool custom. $1500 worth of cool...not to me but it obviously was to the person who bought it.

I don't see there being a big issue doing a Chewie.

A body suit would be the only way to go, and it wouldn't cause and problems with articulation. They probably would have to come up with a new body design to work with, but I don't see it as impossible, just that it would take some development time.

It's completely possible in my eyes, as a body suit they could make it like they would a pillow or something, not like they'd have to individually punch hairs into something.

If they did it as a sculpt I wouldn't buy it at all. Sculpts are nice but it would look way more ridiculous than a poorly made one with real hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back