Why aren't new fans appreciated?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Fusion

Super Freak
Reaction score
Is there really anything wrong with liking something because you've only recently discovered it via mass-popularity?

I used to get kind of upset when someone would say, "Oh, I love [so and so]!"
To which I would reply, "Yeah? Cool. What's your favorite interpretation of the series/character?"
"Huh? I've only seen the new one."

But isn't what's important that a new fan has been born? I don't mean fair weather fans or poseurs, but genuine fans. No matter how ignorant of the previous work, they are fans.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or is the stigma simply towards false fans?

Anyone who gets annoyed buy new fans or temporary fans is making a mistake. Those fans bring funds to the subject and, therefore, further it.

Anyone who spends money on someones favorite subject should be appreciated.

Anyone who gets annoyed buy new fans or temporary fans is making a mistake. Those fans bring funds to the subject and, therefore, further it.

When it comes to this hobby, it really doesn't matter to me.

Now sports is another thing. :D

I_Ate_Pizza_Before_It_Was_Cool.jpg

New fans are always a great thing, i think longterm fans get uppity when those new fans remain ignorant to the history of the subject matter and declare the latest as the best.

People need to stop being concerned with others behaviours...especially over toys. Living like that can make you very jaded and douchie.

When I started collecting, I had like n number of questions to ask. Used to bother people a lot with the whys and wherefores. But eventually learnt about stuff on my own. Guess that's what happens with most of us collectors.

An out of whack idea, but I think a forum specific Wiki/FAQs could really come in handy; not just for the new collectors, but the old ones too who have never ventured in a particular realm but would want to, now.

Easier said than done, it will be a mammoth task which is actually a thankless job with no perks. Plus, even if an information repository was in place, people will still ask questions. Human nature, I guess.

So, I guess the "new fans" will have to do their own growing, that's the only way. No matter how much they're not appreciated/ignored/bashed up, just keep one's spirit up and carry on.

When I started collecting, I had like n number of questions to ask. Used to bother people a lot with the whys and wherefores. But eventually learnt about stuff on my own. Guess that's what happens with most of us collectors.

An out of whack idea, but I think a forum specific Wiki/FAQs could really come in handy; not just for the new collectors, but the old ones too who have never ventured in a particular realm but would want to, now.

Easier said than done, it will be a mammoth task which is actually a thankless job with no perks. Plus, even if an information repository was in place, people will still ask questions. Human nature, I guess.

So, I guess the "new fans" will have to do their own growing, that's the only way. No matter how much they're not appreciated/ignored/bashed up, just keep one's spirit up and carry on.

I don't think the Newbies get bashed up on this board unless they're being downright stupid or douchery. I don't think just not knowing something will get them bashed. It never happened to me.

Some of the threads started by them can be really silly, and they'll be told about it for sure.

Its as if google never existed :lol

I'm surprised when some questions are asked and await response, the answers to which are immediately available via a simple google search.

I'm also surprised that 'google' is not yet included in the spell-check utility dictionary on this forum.

Is there really anything wrong with liking something because you've only recently discovered it via mass-popularity?

I used to get kind of upset when someone would say, "Oh, I love [so and so]!"
To which I would reply, "Yeah? Cool. What's your favorite interpretation of the series/character?"
"Huh? I've only seen the new one."

But isn't what's important that a new fan has been born? I don't mean fair weather fans or poseurs, but genuine fans. No matter how ignorant of the previous work, they are fans.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or is the stigma simply towards false fans?

New fans are always a great thing, i think longterm fans get uppity when those new fans remain ignorant to the history of the subject matter and declare the latest as the best.

I guess is because it kinda shows that they are not really committed fans,

I will give you an example
fake fan: OMG I Love the Dark Knight batman is so amazing Batman is my favorite hero
real fan: Oh so what did you think about Tim Burton batman movies?
fake fan: Burton? batman movies, what are you talking about
real fan: so you're not aware that both Burton and Schumacher made movies?
Fake Fan: really, well i dont care i love batman is my favorite character Nolan is GOD
real fan: well you know batman was not always as cool, he was really cheesy in the 60s, plus robin was cheesy too
fake fan: Who The F__ K is Robin? and why do I care, i love the new batman, period.

Now this is just an example for the sake of argument, a very generic example, is just to give an idea
but I honestly think this is what pisses off fans, when new fans have no clue about the character besides the new movie, and they dont even care,
this doesn't relate to me, I dont feel that way about stuff, BUT I have Heard some pretty retarded stuff coming from new fans of things,
they really do not even care to research where the characters come from, or anything, they barely know their names,

im not saying everyone has to be a walking encyclopedia Either, there is a lot about batman I dont know for example, But, I love batman so I read about him, I read about his villains,

there is nothing better than to talk to a new fan of something and that person knows his crap, for a hardcore fan, that is so gratifying,
It Does happen to me with Music, with Metal, when someone says they are big fans of a band or something, but they only know their singles from the radio, they dont even bother to know who is in the band, sometimes is like, superficial, feels superficial, That's just my take
some people are elitist and snobs and cant accept any new fans, but like i said, I LOVE talking to a new fan of something and they knew their stuff, that is really cool,

It's because a lot of them don't care about the property, they just care about it because it's "cool".

But it's not everyone. And I have no problem if they respect the source. Ya know?

You're not thinking this through. They create an artificial hype which gets a company to produce a single or two figures from a line real fans have been pining for. They then change their minds and bale causing the company to see that second figure rot because it was overproduced due to fareweather over-hype and the company walks away from the license seeing it as nonprofitable.

Back