Why aren't new fans appreciated?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not thinking this through. They create an artificial hype which gets a company to produce a single or two figures from a line real fans have been pining for. They then change their minds and bale causing the company to see that second figure rot because it was overproduced due to fareweather over-hype and the company walks away from the license seeing it as nonprofitable.

Hot Toys comes to mind.

I'm not saying this about all of them, but I notice that a lot of the newer fans are the ones that say things like, "I'll pay whatever they want for this figure. $400 is a steal for this!". I hate that.

I'm not saying this about all of them, but I notice that a lot of the newer fans are the ones that say things like, "I'll pay whatever they want for this figure. $400 is a steal for this!". I hate that.

:goodpost:

That could be one of the reasons HT think they can up their prices with each figure as those people are saying things like "i'll pay anything" :slap

OMG I Love the Dark Knight batman is so amazing Batman is my favorite hero

I like dogs.

POSERS :monkey4:monkey4

demotivational-posters-posers1.jpg

Posers1.jpg

Is there really anything wrong with liking something because you've only recently discovered it via mass-popularity?

I used to get kind of upset when someone would say, "Oh, I love [so and so]!"
To which I would reply, "Yeah? Cool. What's your favorite interpretation of the series/character?"
"Huh? I've only seen the new one."

But isn't what's important that a new fan has been born? I don't mean fair weather fans or poseurs, but genuine fans. No matter how ignorant of the previous work, they are fans.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or is the stigma simply towards false fans?

:goodpost:

I ____ing hate hipsters.

Now this is just an example for the sake of argument, a very generic example, is just to give an idea
but I honestly think this is what pisses off fans, when new fans have no clue about the character besides the new movie, and they dont even care,
this doesn't relate to me, I dont feel that way about stuff, BUT I have Heard some pretty retarded stuff coming from new fans of things,
they really do not even care to research where the characters come from, or anything, they barely know their names,

im not saying everyone has to be a walking encyclopedia Either, there is a lot about batman I dont know for example, But, I love batman so I read about him, I read about his villains,

there is nothing better than to talk to a new fan of something and that person knows his crap, for a hardcore fan, that is so gratifying,
It Does happen to me with Music, with Metal, when someone says they are big fans of a band or something, but they only know their singles from the radio, they dont even bother to know who is in the band, sometimes is like, superficial, feels superficial, That's just my take
some people are elitist and snobs and cant accept any new fans, but like i said, I LOVE talking to a new fan of something and they knew their stuff, that is really cool,

I can see that you are trying to be balanced, which I appreciate, but you're still kind of being elitist. Not everybody is going to enjoy things in the same way or to the same level. What you or I see as "superficial" might just be them broadening out to include more popular culture. Why should it matter to us how much or little they want to learn about metal or Batman (I'm a big fan of both by the way. ;))?

Last edited:

Please explain. I've been speaking out against that mentality for a while now. (And I certainly don't dress like one. :lol)

I have a theory that the hipster mentality is part of the reason that some Batman fans have turned their back on TDK. They love Batman, and they liked TDK when it first came out, but when it became super mainstream and new fans became rabid, it was no longer "cool" to like it.

Hipsters seek out things that are sub-culture, as if that in itself gives it merit. Then when that sub-culture becomes mainstream, they turn their back on that art/music/film/etc. I really hate that. People should like what they like because they like it. And people should be able to like whatever they want how ever they want to like it.

The first entry for "hipster" at urban dictionary absolutely turns my stomach with its colossal douchebaggery:

Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.
Hipsters shun mainstream societal conventions that apply to dating preferences and traditional "rules" of physical attraction. It is part of the hipster central dogma not to be influenced by mainsream advertising and media, which tends to only promote ethnocentric ideals of beauty. The concepts of androgyny and feminism have influenced hipster culture, where hipster men are often as thin as the women they date. The muscular and athletic all-American male ideal is not seen as attractive by confident and culturally-empowered hipster women who instead view them as symbols of male oppression, sexism, and misogyny. Likewise, culturally-vapid sorority-type girls with fake blond hair, overly tanned skin, and "Britney Spears tube-tops" are not seen as attractive by cultured hipster males who instead see them as symbols of female insecurity, low self-esteem, and lack of cultural intelligence and independent thinking. Hipsters are also very racially open-minded, and the greatest number of interracial couples in any urban environment are typically found within the hipster subculture.
Although hipsters are technically conformists within their own subculture, in comparison to the much larger mainstream mass, they are pioneers and leaders of the latest cultural trends and ideals. For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer. The true irony here is that many of the detractors of hipster culture are in fact unknowingly following a path that hipsters have carved out years before them. This phenomena also applies to music as well, as many bands have become successful and known to mainstream audiences only because hipsters first found and listened to them as early-adopters of new culture. Once certain concepts of fashion and music have reached mainstream audiences, hipsters move on to something new and improved. :monkey4
Because of the rise of various online photo-blog and social networking sites, insights into urban hipster culture is reaching sheltered suburban audiences at an exponential rate. Cultural "norms" have been deconstructed by hipster culture as a whole. Hipsterism is often dismissed as just an image thing by some, but the culture as a whole is effecting changes in society, leading to feelings of insecurity and resentment in people who are no longer a part of the cultural ruling class. For example, a lot of anti-hipster sentiment evidently comes from culturally-clueless suburban frat boy types who feel that the more sensitive, intelligent, and culturally aware hipster ideal threatens their insecure sense of masculinity. Anti-hipster sentiment often comes from people who simply can't keep up with social change and are envious of those who can.

I can see that you are trying to be balanced, which I appreciate, but you're still kind of being elitist. Not everybody is going to enjoy things in the same way or to the same level. What you or I see as "superficial" might just be them broadening out to include more popular culture. Why should it matter to us how much or little they want to learn about metal or Batman (I'm a big fan of both by the way. ;))?

the example i gave was very generic, and it doesnt apply to me, but is how i see hardcore fans view of new fans, like, i dont really feel that way, but i can see it happen,
is not so much about enjoying but a respect of the material, if you like something dont you want to know more about it? at least to have a vague idea, i mean, all it takes is one wikipedia search, or one youtube search, i know it sounds elitist, but this thread asks why old fans are like that, so i was explaining.

it does happen to me with bands, i cant help it, i dont even try to be elitist, is like one of my favorite artists is Marilyn Manson, and my friend has like 8 songs, the radio ones, sure she has the right to do whatever she wants, is just like, if you like something dont you want to search everything about it? i dont really get that feeling except with music, like Nam said, seems superficial,

It's almost like we'd have no culture if it weren't for hipsters ripping off what we were doing 20 years before they were conceived. I'm relieved to know that there's someone around now to take credit for making Batman cool...

Please explain. I've been speaking out against that mentality for a while now. (And I certainly don't dress like one. :lol)

I have a theory that the hipster mentality is part of the reason that some Batman fans have turned their back on TDK. They love Batman, and they liked TDK when it first came out, but when it became super mainstream and new fans became rabid, it was no longer "cool" to like it.

Hipsters seek out things that are sub-culture, as if that in itself gives it merit. Then when that sub-culture becomes mainstream, they turn their back on that art/music/film/etc. I really hate that. People should like what they like because they like it. And people should be able to like whatever they want how ever they want to like it.

The first entry for "hipster" at urban dictionary absolutely turns my stomach with its colossal douchebaggery:

It's all BS. These guys aren't any different than the hippies, yippies, beatniks, emos or goths. Sooner or later they all become what they supposedly hated.

South Park did a show about hipsters and as always, they were right on the money.

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol

You're not thinking this through. They create an artificial hype which gets a company to produce a single or two figures from a line real fans have been pining for. They then change their minds and bale causing the company to see that second figure rot because it was overproduced due to fareweather over-hype and the company walks away from the license seeing it as nonprofitable.
Is that Bale as in Christan Bale, as his name has become a verb, or is that bail as in leave? :lol

the example i gave was very generic, and it doesnt apply to me, but is how i see hardcore fans view of new fans, like, i dont really feel that way, but i can see it happen,
is not so much about enjoying but a respect of the material, if you like something dont you want to know more about it? at least to have a vague idea, i mean, all it takes is one wikipedia search, or one youtube search, i know it sounds elitist, but this thread asks why old fans are like that, so i was explaining.

it does happen to me with bands, i cant help it, i dont even try to be elitist, is like one of my favorite artists is Marilyn Manson, and my friend has like 8 songs, the radio ones, sure she has the right to do whatever she wants, is just like, if you like something dont you want to search everything about it? i dont really get that feeling except with music, like Nam said, seems superficial,

I hear you. And I'm like you. When I develop a new interest I research it. When I like a song, I buy the whole album. I just don't care if others do things differently. It did used to bug me that people would only listen to a bands 'radio song' or whatever, but I've just decided that I don't care anymore about how others choose to enjoy art/entertainment.

I hear you. And I'm like you. When I develop a new interest I research it. When I like a song, I buy the whole album. I just don't care if others do things differently. It did used to bug me that people would only listen to a bands 'radio song' or whatever, but I've just decided that I don't care anymore about how others choose to enjoy art/entertainment.

What I don't get is why when someone buys an album, the first song they listen to is the one they've heard dozens of times already. :lol

No kidding. :gah:

Okay, so I'm still working on that kind of stuff not bugging me...

It's offensive to see something you value used as a fad and then cast aside when it's no longer useful for buttressing the facades of the trite.

K?

Back