Why are WETA collectables losing there value???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who knows what the future holds for these things.

That's really the point too, who really does know? We need to get the "new generation" to watch the SS Gollum DVD ... then they values will rise again.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
That's really the point too, who really does know? We need to get the "new generation" to watch the SS Gollum DVD ... then they values will rise again.

Spoiler Spoiler:

If you look at LOTR collectables as a whole. Weta is the only one still staying afloat on the market. GG,SS,TB,ect have sunk.

question, Is Weta even confirmed to be working on the hobbit?

I love the weta pieces but am definately kicking myself for paying higher prices. But at the time who knew the values were going to start going down. Oh well, some values are even less than quoted previously. For example, I just picked up the weta gimli statue for 260.00...:D My favorite still has to be the cave troll though, that one is pretty sweet!! :monkey5

I think these things a cyclical. Like some said, the hype dies down and with there so much to buy on the collectible market, interest wanes. The perfect example would be Batman animated maquettes. The original Warner brothers maquettes sold for 150. The Batman reach upwards of 1000 dollars in the secondary market. As time goes on and new collectibles come out interest just dies off. That original Batman maquette now can be had on ebay for 200-300 dollars.

I love the weta pieces but am definately kicking myself for paying higher prices. But at the time who knew the values were going to start going down. Oh well, some values are even less than quoted previously. For example, I just picked up the weta gimli statue for 260.00...:D My favorite still has to be the cave troll though, that one is pretty sweet!! :monkey5

I've done the same on like 4-6 LOTR pieces. I still need a wiki helm, but $800+ is way too much for me, heh. Anyways...

IMO, If you truly enjoy the piece, thats all that matters really.

I've done the same on like 4 pieces. I still need a wiki helm, but $800+ is way too much for me, heh. Anyways...

IMO, If you truly enjoy the piece, thats all that matters really.

That's the truth...Sure, it's nice to know that your item is worth a small fortune, but hopefully that's not the only reason you collect it. I've paid alot for some of my pieces and never intend to sell them. I bought them because I like them and not with the intention of selling them off later..:D

collectibles have to be sold at the peak of interest, or they drop their value like a rock. the other alternative is to hold on to them for 20 years or so, and hope a retro buyer with a buttload of cash comes a knockin'.

That's the truth...Sure, it's nice to know that your item is worth a small fortune, but hopefully that's not the only reason you collect it. I've paid alot for some of my pieces and never intend to sell them. I bought them because I like them and not with the intention of selling them off later..:D

:lecture :lecture QFT

I've only got a relatively small LOTR collection now but what ive got are the characters and statues that are dear to me. I've had most of the SSW Statues at one time or another but the core of them have remained with me. What I have now are the keepers, had them since I started collecting and never intend to sell them.
x :D

Everything is always for sale....for the right price.:wacky

Ain't that the truth. No disposable income here, either...

The Original Balrog IMO is very overrrated, certainly overpriced.Its an amazingly detailed piece but personally I prefer the Cavetroll over the Roggy.

You say that 'cause you don't have one!
nana.gif

My Rog is so NOT over-rated! :rock
smallrog.jpg

And, I still love my Weta, too! :love

nana.gif

smallrog.jpg

:lol
Had one, sold at the peak of prices and made a boat load of cash :cool:
Dont get me wrong its a fantastic piece (great pics btw Sam:wave) but its just not a keeper for me, at the time that was my disposable income and Im glad I sold it :D
x

nana.gif

smallrog.jpg

I'm dissapointed, only one Necro in the whole damn thread ........................... unless you count Sam's couch, that'd be two! :balrog :wave

Back