Why are WETA collectables losing there value???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikram

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I have noticed a steady decline over the last year or so.Should I liquidate???

If by "liquidate" you mean stop necroposting to get yourself into the commerce section, then yes.

:maul

I'm not getting any more due to the 1/6, PF, and busts.

I love the new stuff. Always wanted to snag the weta original balrog but now that
this new stuff is coming out, I can live without it.

I have about 10 of the weta line, all horse and riders except sam and pony. Those are the ones I mainly wanted and I'll never part with them.

I'm not getting any more due to the 1/6, PF, and busts.

I love the new stuff. Always wanted to snag the weta original balrog but now that
this new stuff is coming out, I can live without it.

I have about 10 of the weta line, all horse and riders except sam and pony. Those are the ones I mainly wanted and I'll never part with them.

I would definately recommend getting Sam & Bill, it is stunning and especially if you have the other horse & rider stats too they will fit right in.

The Original Balrog IMO is very overrrated, certainly overpriced.Its an amazingly detailed piece but personally I prefer the Cavetroll over the Roggy.

I still love my Weta :love
x

I think when the Hobbit movie comes out the Lord of the Rings vibe is going to be live and kicking. And this moment it's on a heart monitor.:sick

I think when the Hobbit movie comes out the Lord of the Rings vibe is going to be live and kicking. And this moment it's on a heart monitor.:sick

By then, Weta themselves would have released a whole new bunch of figures.... in which the characters may be different, perhaps only with the exception of Gandalf.

Lets see how it goes... the only piece which I think the secondary market would want to price it high is the Biblo statue.

By then, Weta themselves would have released a whole new bunch of figures.... in which the characters may be different, perhaps only with the exception of Gandalf.

Lets see how it goes... the only piece which I think the secondary market would want to price it high is the Biblo statue.

The Stone Trolls will do well too.....oh wait...they never dropped in value in the first place have they? Neither has the Bilbo statue for that matter. Most, if not all, of the earlier (low edition) SS/WETA polystone items have held their high values well...you just don't see them on EBAY very often now, if at all. It is the high edition items that give the illusion that SS/WETA values have dropped. In actuality, when the edition sizes were increased initially the secondary market values were low for these items right out of the chute and were never high to begin with.

Last edited:
The Stone Trolls will do well too.....oh wait...they never dropped in value in the first place have they? Neither has the Bilbo statue for that matter. Many of the earlier (low edition) SS/WETA polystone items have held their high values well...you just don't see them on EBAY very often now, if at all.

No, they are definately dropping, with a few exceptions (Bilbo, Cave Troll Statue, treebeard, a few others). Even the stone trolls are barely getting 1k. They had a big jump from about 700 to 1000, but those few sold, and now I don't think there is enough interest to command 1000.

Boromir, Theoden, King Elesar used to be 200+, can now be found for under 200 relatively easily. Aragorn used to be 800+, now certainly less. Gimli used to be over 400, now I think he's more like 300.

I really hope the Hobbit does bring back some of the hype, because I am being very specific with the pieces I want to keep and would like to get rid of some of the others, but not at the loss I would realize if I sold them now. I will still always keep a core group (mounted figures, fellowship, treebeard, and a few of the baddies).

No, they are definately dropping, with a few exceptions (Bilbo, Cave Troll Statue, treebeard, a few others). Even the stone trolls are barely getting 1k. They had a big jump from about 700 to 1000, but those few sold, and now I don't think there is enough interest to command 1000.

Boromir, Theoden, King Elesar used to be 200+, can now be found for under 200 relatively easily. Aragorn used to be 800+, now certainly less. Gimli used to be over 400, now I think he's more like 300.

I really hope the Hobbit does bring back some of the hype, because I am being very specific with the pieces I want to keep and would like to get rid of some of the others, but not at the loss I would realize if I sold them now. I will still always keep a core group (mounted figures, fellowship, treebeard, and a few of the baddies).

Yea, I see your point. My point is that most of the older items still go for several times their retail value even if the top range has fluctuated up and down. I don't see that happening with any of the PF's. As a side note...the Elessar statue is fantastic and at only 3K copies I am confounded as to why it is not in higher demand. Maybe a sleeper for the future. I remember when so many Sam and Bill the Pony statues were on Ebay that they were almost giving them away. Who knows what the future holds for these things.

Back