Who will be the SDCC 2012 Sideshow Exclusive?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who will be this year's Sideshow Joe Exclusive at Comicon?

• Shockwave (repainted Beachhead with new gear)

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Shadow Guard (repainted Crimson Guard in black)

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Scrap Iron (repainted Viper EX with missle system)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Grunt (kitbash of Hawk, Duke and other Joes)

• Storm Shadow (urban camo Joe version)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Stinger Driver (repainted Cobra Officer in grey)

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Hawk v1 (Blonde hair, no jacket, Stalker's sweater, helmet with visor)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Desert Cobra Trooper (repainted Cobra Trooper)

• Another Ninja (boo!!!)

• None of the Above (Please post your ideas)

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, according to his product page he's showing March so he should be out. Now, could he get moved back? Sure but at this point I don't think it will. Not to mention they probably already took or are about to take the sdcc version if that was the case to production so its totally ready for comic-con.

Fingers crossed he won't, but everything has a tendency to get pushed back 'till SDCC. :(

Again, that's why it would be perfect for a comic-con ex. Something that can be really limited and hit those that REALLY want it.

I'm with Kara here. Zartan's costing me $172. Add an SDCC Ex mark-up on that price and he's an easy pass. Hell, just a blue Zartan at $172's a pass. :lol

I disagree. I think a con exclusive is something that is not essential (of course), but will appeal to a large enough sub-set of the fanbase to make it worth producing. So, troop variant for instance. Cobra Commander, sure. He's the leader of Cobra. Troopers, sure. Everyone wants more Skittle colored troops. Random Star Wars prequel clone number 543, sure. Star Wars fans will buy every one of those Sideshow creative can come up with. I don't see Zartan being the kind of character folks are gonna shell out $150 twice for. Anything could happen though.

He may not be. He's non essential and something that I think can be done at say 500-750 and sell them to get the money back. As I said he may not be but just looking back at how they've handled years past I think he does.

Fingers crossed he won't, but everything has a tendency to get pushed back 'till SDCC. :(

That would be a hell of a push back. Could happen but I hope it doesn't.

I'm with Kara here. Zartan's costing me $172. Add an SDCC Ex mark-up on that price and he's an easy pass. Hell, just a blue Zartan at $172's a pass. :lol

The price is the reason I think he might not be selected. Though, the HT figures we've seen cost more than that.

He may not be. He's non essential and something that I think can be done at say 500-750 and sell them to get the money back. As I said he may not be but just looking back at how they've handled years past I think he does.

Though it shouldn't since that would be just essentially the same figure with different color added to dye the plastic, we already know that with Sideshow, lower ES = higher price and he's already the highest priced Joe ATM.

Though it shouldn't since that would be just essentially the same figure with different color added to dye the plastic, we already know that with Sideshow, lower ES = higher price and he's already the highest priced Joe ATM.

I agree the price would be the reason that we won't see this as a comic-con ex.

Exactly. The NEXT Storm Shadow. Anything after the first is automatically a variant. We already got 1 SS so the next would be a variant. :exactly:

:lol

88 would be a whole new version. Not a variant.

Desert Sniper is a variant of the Cobra Sniper.

The next Snake Eyes will not be a variant of the first one.

It won't be a new named character.

I'd be okay with a Trooper variant. I'd consider a Stinger Driver, but would rather have an Officer that true to the original figure (black mask, black webgear, silver/white sigil, and raised chevron). I'd also be fine with a Bazooka/RPG Trooper inspired by the 25th line (as long as it had the standard royal blue uniform and a new portrait).

Blue Zartan (or an otherwise camouflaged Zartan) is an interesting idea, but it could be that they'll just skip 2012 and give us Pimp Daddy Destro next year (that, or a blue-uniformed/green tinted glasses Baroness if they get her normal 1:6 figure out between now and then).

:lol

88 would be a whole new version. Not a variant.

Desert Sniper is a variant of the Cobra Sniper.

The next Snake Eyes will not be a variant of the first one.

Its just a variant of the character. Once they've done one version of a character, each figure after that is just a variant. They are all different versions :lol

Is the notion of a main character not being a wise choice as a con exclusive even valid anymore? I mean, if Sideshow Joes are even remotely on your radar is there a chance that you WON'T know about an upcoming exclusive? It's not like these exclusives are rare by any means of the imagination, the Ninja Viper is STILL available for crying out loud.

Sideshow's retailers might get mad if a major character was only available direct. Maybe if it was a more obscure comic-only character like Scarface, Dr. Venom, or Kwinn.

Again, blue Zartan is a possibility, but I don't think this year, even with the supposed swamp skier coming out.

Why not do a lesser known Joe like Shockwave, who you could do as a mishmash of Beachhead repainted parts and other accessories? He's not an "A" character like Duke or Flint. He would be made available to non-attendees as well, much like the still available Ninja Viper.

Grunt as well, but less likely because they would need a new head sculpt.

Much easier to just do a repaint of a Cobra Officer as the Stinger driver and just give him the Stinger "Scorpion" patch. The same with a desert trooper to complete the sniper and officer. I would hate to see a Python Patrol anything in those garish colors.

Shadow Guard would be cool, but again too close to release of the CG.

Its just a variant of the character. Once they've done one version of a character, each figure after that is just a variant. They are all different versions :lol

I think you're confusing "variant" with "version." In the Joe-verse they're two different things. Cobra trooper with red eyebrows is a variant of the regular trooper with black eyebrows, whereas hooded Cobra Commander is a different version of Battle Helmet Cobra Commander. These are not the same thing. :wink1:

I think the Black Dragon Ninja could have been a SDCC Exclusive, but was a regular release we didn't see coming. So, yeah I tend to agree it will be another repaint and unfortunately not a new character release.

Also, character would have to be masked (unless it is just a repaint like Tiger Force Duke or Flint). Which limits the possibilities, but Shockwave is masked...and would need only the repainted helmet and cap.

Unless SSC is a staff of trained elitist Ninjas, in their off hours, they aren't allowed to release another Ninja or any figure with the accessory that looks like a bow staff.

I believe this is stated in the Ninjutsu creed somewhere. People can only pretend to care about ninjas for so long before they have to take a blood oath and become one themselves. :lecture:lecture:lecture

Back