who is tired of hollyweird re-doing movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hated those cheesy, awful Kurosawa "re-envisionings" in the late '70s. What were they called? Star Fight or something?

John Carpenter's the Thing? Magnificent Seven? Heat? All the Nolan Bat-Movies? :yuck

And those crummy translations of books into movies like Gone with the Wind, the Shining, A Clockwork Orange, and the Godfather. ____ that ____. Only original, all new material like Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star for me, thank you very much.

Seriously though, the remake train has gone a bit off the rails. But my point is that there's nothing new under the sun. As long as films give me something new and interesting, and ultimately good, I don't care if it's technically a remake, a re-envisioning, a translation of a book or comic of video game, or what. Unfortunately, most remakes are not those things, but then, neither are most "original" films, either.

I feel sorry for the kids of this generation. They're not going to have those unique films that defined they're youth like those of us who grew up in the pre-remake era. All they'll have to look back on is re-hashes (and generally poor ones) of the films that the prior generations grew up on.

why feel sorry for them? They have the Cinematic Masterpiece that is Twilight :rotfl

They already redid Point Break. They called it The Fast and The Furious.

if they do them where they are at least as good as the originals, like TRUE GRIT it's fine.

if they do them like the ROLLERBALL 'remake', they suck hard.

New films > Older films

Older movies sucks, all of them. The reboots and remakes are always better.

I agree. The old Burton Batman & Joker suck balls. The newer Bale / Ledger are miles better .... :monkey1

It's because people hate subtitles.

Also there are several American versions of movies better than their counterparts.

The Ring and The Departed come to mine right away. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo looks all kinds of awesome, the trailer alone is superior to the original movie.

The departed better than infernal affairs? The Oscar for that movie was total sham. Martin Scorsese should have received it for Goodfellas instead of that movie. What give Marky Marky a few funny lines to make up the lack of emotion that Tony and Andy brought to the table? Plus Infernal affairs was awesome as well. The girl with the dragon tattoo? So far it looks like a scene for scene remake with a bigger budget. Both will probably be good.

My thoughts echo karamazov and others. While it is true remakes in Hollywood are nothing new, it does appear that they are focusing on them more and more. However that doesn't mean an "original" movie is any more deserving of praise. Hollywood has its formulas for making movies and tends not to stray from them.

It seems to me it's not just Hollywood doing this though. All of pop culture seems infatuated with retro chic. First it was the 70's and now it's the 80's.

I think there can be good reasons for doing a remake, such as newer special effects, as long as it's done tastefully. Too many remakes seem to me to be an attempt to cash in on the retro fad and/or due to a lack of creativity.

Personally I'd like to see the original STar Wars trilogy remade so that it fits better into the Prequel world and story.

Nothing wrong with updating stories and remaking - it takes nothing away from the original and may actually introduce new audiences to it through the marketing for the remake.

Personally I'd like to see the original STar Wars trilogy remade so that it fits better into the Prequel world and story.

Nothing wrong with updating stories and remaking - it takes nothing away from the original and may actually introduce new audiences to it through the marketing for the remake.

You BLASPHEMER! not THE trilogy!

I have not seen one re-make that was better than the first:lecture

With reference to SW, movies could be made to fill certain gaps in storylines, but to remake IV-VI noeffinway.

I have not seen one re-make that was better than the first:lecture

Have you seen The Thing from Another World? You think that was better than John Carpenter's remake?

I like good movies. The problem with most of the remakes lately is that they suck, but there's nothing inherent in the concept of making a new movie out of an old story that guarantees it will be bad.

True. I also think both versions of SCARFACE (1932 and 83) are equally great for their own reasons.

Have you seen The Thing from Another World? You think that was better than John Carpenter's remake?

I like good movies. The problem with most of the remakes lately is that they suck, but there's nothing inherent in the concept of making a new movie out of an old story that guarantees it will be bad.

Yes, I have, and I guess my statement was full of hyperbole. But re-makes tend to be blatant rip-offs of the originals. Write something new, come up with NEW ideas, don't rely on cool sound tracks and fancy effects/CGness. Not to denigrate the awesome work on the Thing, but there are more examples of re-makes that suck balz than not.

Let's start a list

Psycho

&...

Back