Who do you think made the best 'live action' SUPERMAN (ie any non-animated version)?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who was the best Live-Action (not animated) SUPERMAN

• Brandon Routh

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Christopher Reeve

Votes: 66 84.6%
  • Tom Welling

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Dean Cain

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • George Reeves

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Bud Collyer (On radio)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Kirk Alyn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
...I guess that for me, I've regarded all the actors that followed or preceded him as "actors in a suit playing superman" but with CR, as ridiculous as it may sound, I've always seen him as the genuine article. Silly, I know it, but probably due to the fact I was a kid when I saw that movie in a theater. That was one of my greatest childhood memory.

No it does not seem silly at all. If a film captures you so well, then that film has 100% done its job. Likewise the actor involved.

But with Chris Reeve, it went beyond the physical..beyond the fact that he was 6' 4" and had steel-blue eyes because he was not a physically impressive 6' 4" at all. He was almost literally broom-handle thin. His natural hair colour was sandy/brown so that was wrong too.

When he auditioned for the role, this skinny young man, in his rag-bag odds-and-ends Superman costume, with boot polish in his hair to make it black (which melted under the studio lights and began running down his neck) and rings of dark sweat extending out from under his armpits...well he should have been a bit of a joke really, you might even easily begin to understand why the Salkinds didn't want him when you think about it in those terms.

But then you watch his screen tests and he was absolutely captivating. He had the character down from day one. This stick-thin New York kid with mousey hair and huge Adam's apple, sweat stained pits and black streaks running down his neck, jumped down off the balcony for his 'interview with Lois' scene...and it was Superman. No doubt, no hesitation, no stammering. It was him.

Look for it on the DVD/Bluray special features and you will see what I mean. He just owned it from the first day. Is it any wonder that Richard Donner kept pulling his photo out of the 'rejected' pile and putting it back in with the 'hopefuls' stack.

As you can see, I understand the feeling very well :hi5:

No it does not seem silly at all. If a film captures you so well, then that film has 100% done its job. Likewise the actor involved.

But with Chris Reeve, it went beyond the physical..beyond the fact that he was 6' 4" and had steel-blue eyes because he was not a physically impressive 6' 4" at all. He was almost literally broom-handle thin. His natural hair colour was sandy/brown so that was wrong too.

When he auditioned for the role, this skinny young man, in his rag-bag odds-and-ends Superman costume, with boot polish in his hair to make it black (which melted under the studio lights and began running down his neck) and rings of dark sweat extending out from under his armpits...well he should have been a bit of a joke really, you might even easily begin to understand why the Salkinds didn't want him when you think about it in those terms.

But then you watch his screen tests and he was absolutely captivating. He had the character down from day one. This stick-thin New York kid with mousey hair and huge Adam's apple, sweat stained pits and black streaks running down his neck, jumped down off the balcony for his 'interview with Lois' scene...and it was Superman. No doubt, no hesitation, no stammering. It was him.

Look for it on the DVD/Bluray special features and you will see what I mean. He just owned it from the first day. Is it any wonder that Richard Donner kept pulling his photo out of the 'rejected' pile and putting it back in with the 'hopefuls' stack.

As you can see, I understand the feeling very well :hi5:

OH, believe me, I've watched the special features many times and I agree with everything you said!

Somehow, this man is what made the film what it is! Not Donner or the Salkinds or anyone, but him.

In retrospect, when you watch the film,let's face it. It's not that awesome. Lois is not the best choice, there are too many funny situation to make it a masterpiece, Luthor is a buffoon,and yet this movie is awesome, because CR was the perfect embodiment for Superman.

I will probably enjoy MOS, and it will probably make the original movie look like a low budget flick in comparison, but I'm pretty sure I won't regard Cavill's performance as great as CR's, even though I like the guy, his look and was happy when he was chosen. He 'll just be another actor playing the part, period.

Oh, and one more thing. When you compare the original movies with SR, and I liked SR, I am almost positive that the absence of CR was the reason why it didn't work. That guy had the ability to be the ray of light in an otherwise bad scenario. Take S IV for instance, you can't get envy worse in term of plot, and yet, the guy transcends the film so much so that you know it was bad but you don't really care cause the child in you got to see Superman.

Like I said, silly....

icon13.gif

Can you imagine a movie where CR would have been Superman, Teri Hatcher Lois and Michael Rosenbaum Luthor?

superman.gif

Back