Who could play Captain America in a Live Action Movie?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind, though, Bob, that the reason that the best of the comic book movies (X-Men, Batman Begins, Spider-man) were such a huge success is that they took larger than life characters and cast them with actors who could ground them in reality, making them accessible and believable.

Yeah, I could believe that a 5 foot 5 Canadian played by an Aussie stage actor with excessive bodily hair, a titanium grafted skeletal structure and 6-inch razor-sharp talons coming out of his knuckles and could instantaneously heal his body of wounds was real. I believe in miracles.

jimmyjamesf said:
I am sure I will be mocked for this but I was thinking who would look good in the part and it was really hard to find an American that I thought might fit the role. In the end all I had left was John Cena. I never did go see the Marine so I am not sure how his film acting is but I have seen him in the ring and thats acting LOL.

The-Marine-john-cena-02.jpg

Buck up, true believer, I am with you for John Cena as Steve Rogers. I thought he would have also made a good Eddie Brock if they went that direction with Venom in Spider-Man 3.
Both Cena and Gerard Butler would be nice choices as a super-hero. The question I have in my mind is which hero?

Gerald Butler would be great as "The Comedian", if Watchmen ever gets off the ground. As far as Cap, I have to agree on Neal.

Jedi_Knight Rob said:
marvel_icons_1_cap_variant.jpg
Nealportrait2.jpg

Yep, I think we got our beloved Cap right here!:cool:
I still think Neal McDonough is the PERFECT choice to place the Cap! He has the looks aswell as already done a damn good job acting in a WWll situation.

Jedi_Knight Rob said:
I still think Neal McDonough is the PERFECT choice to place the Cap! He has the looks aswell as already done a damn good job acting in a WWll situation.
I'm with you 100% on that Rob! :rock

piccolodaimaoh said:
Buck up, true believer, I am with you for John Cena as Steve Rogers. I thought he would have also made a good Eddie Brock if they went that direction with Venom in Spider-Man 3.
Both Cena and Gerard Butler would be nice choices as a super-hero. The question I have in my mind is which hero?
Cena would rock as Cap!!!! ...if he can act beyond the ring. how was Marine?

Mookeylama said:
Cena would rock as Cap!!!! ...if he can act beyond the ring. how was Marine?

Did not see The Marine but I hear he was not that bad. How far of a stretch would it be for a wrestler - basically an actor, to portray a super-hero? He already has the muscle, the gift of gab, but would he be believable? I say hell ya!

I'd like Cole Hauser as Captain America. But my daydream is to see Patrick Wilson play the Star Spangled Avenger. He played the Republican in HBO's production of "Angels in America" and was seen most recently seen in "Little Children" with kate Winslet. He has the chops and the looks to play the Captain. Plus he is as far as I know an American which is another plus.

Patrick Wilson played Raoul in Phantom of the Opera. He has too much of a pretty boy look. I'd go with Neal cos he's played a soldier well enough. The only thing is if he can suspend the belief of swinging a shield around, and he probably needs to bulk up so that his neck is just one big muscle stump.

Ever since Steve Rogers died in the comics, and its certain that there will be a new Captain America, it got me thinking. Assuming the Captain America movie (when made) does well, they would most likely go on to do 3 films, and possibly kill Steve Rogers in the 3rd film and then have a new actor play the (unknown yet) new Capt. assuming the movies are successful it could be a long running Movie series for that reason. Cause depending who plays Steve by the end of the 3rd film he'd prob start to get old and its perfect for a replacement in the terms of actor.....you guys catch my drift?

I like McDonough, Eckhart and Valley a lot, but you know they're going to go with someone much younger like they did with Superman. Which would be faithful to the comics. Wasn't Steve Rogers 18 when he got the serum? And if that was '41 and he's frozen in '45, that would make him 22 when he wakes up in the modern age.

jimmyjamesf said:
John Cena.
The-Marine-john-cena-02.jpg

John Cena looks like he'd be perfect for the part. And as a pro wrestler his acrobatics could go a long way in selling the character even further. I'm not really a fan of the other suggestions in this thread; I don't want a sissy-fied "everyman" Captain America, save that for the made-for-TV "Ultimates" version. ;)

Captain America should actually look like he could be the peak of human strength, speed, and agility. Larger than life and more awe inspiring than any Olympic sprinter, gymnast, or powerlifter.

As long as he has a likeable personality, stands for worthwhile ideals, and is still the underdog against whatever threat appears in the movie people will root for him.

And I think his costume just wouldn't look right unless it was worn by someone with a large, bulky frame and thick neck. You can't get away with putting muscles in the suit because that just wouldn't fit with the character.

Cena has the physicality and all-American look down to a "T"; assuming he can at least act as well as Arnold or Stallone I'll probably be disappointed if anyone else is cast as the Star Spangled Superhero.

Last edited:
CENA CAN NOT ACT. So NO Cena. We need an actor as Cap, not that joke. I agree he should be beefed up, but they can just make the actor work out, and than add in makeup/costume effects where needed. They do it all the time. I'd like someone young, but who can portray a fatherly/older feeling. Cap, like Superman, always had that in his eyes, regardless of age.

Also with Cena, he carries baggage with him. He comes into the role carrying the WWE with him. Sure, maybe not contractually, but he does. I think the Cap. should be a nobody like Superman, or better yet like Steve Rogers himself.

PosterBoyKelly said:
CENA CAN NOT ACT.

The only footage of Cena I've seen is from a Subway commercial, and I think he just smiles, so I'll have to take your word for it. I obviously haven't seen "The Marine." So he's no Stallone or Schwarzenegger? Well that's a bummer then because he's the only one that actually looks like a live-action Steve Rogers.

Back