Which Superman movie do you prefer Man of Steel or Superman Returns ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Superman movie do you prefer Man of Steel or Superman Returns ?

• Man of Steel

Votes: 77 73.3%
  • Superman Returns

Votes: 28 26.7%

• Total voters
I'll give this thread the amount of clarity and eloquence it deserves. :lecture

Routh sucked.
Spacey sucked.
Returns really really sucked. As a Superman movie, as a comic/hero movie, just as a movie. It's worse than most of the Marvel character movies and that's saying a lot, because there have been some real stinkers.

MoS had none of these faults and worked on all levels. Along with the Nolan Batman Trilogy, it's part of the four best "super" hero movies of all time (Batman isn't actually a superhero). If you want the top 5, you can include the original Reeve Superman in that list.

Returns was a vile attempt to crap on the two first Reeve films. It definitely fits in with Superman IV, and maybe III in terms of wasted time/celluloid. It hurts my brain thinking about how bad that movie was. John Travolta or Nic Cage would have made a better Superman, and Catherine Zeta Jones (picked this at random) a better Lex Luthor.

Last edited:
^ PP's rambling there, just got voted in at 13% on Rotten Tomatoes. :lecture

If they made Rotten Tomatoes toilet paper, I wouldn't even use it to wipe my arse. ;) That site is even worse than the movie. Useless.

I just went to check my rating on IMDB, applied after watching the movie when it originally came out. 2/10. I feel even worse about it now, but I'm not going to change it.

I can understand thinking it sucked as a superhero movie, but just as a movie I don't see how it sucked,
It might not be what you expected, or even wanted but the movie doesn't have nearly as many problems as MOS.

Routh was fine as Superman, Spacey was fine as Lex, they both played their roles just a tad bit more serious than Hackman and Reeve.

SR main problem was, it was supposed to kick off a new set of Superman movies, the movie felt more like an ending to a trilogy instead of the beginning of one. Now that we have our Superman reboot, I'm really able to go back and enjoy SR as a kind of quasi-ending to the Reeve films.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a kind of quasi-ending to the Reeve films.

In my book, I call that Superman II. :)

Spacey is high up on my list of favorite actors, so it was a huge disappointment to see his performance in this movie. Routh was just… Routh. Don't like him as an actor in general and his Superman, for me, was a low point.

I think Henry Cavill is a great Kal-El - it's just the big, dumb, noisy, clunky celebrity death match that they called a film, that kills it for me.

In my book, I call that Superman II. :)

Spacey is high up on my list of favorite actors, so it was a huge disappointment to see his performance in this movie. Routh was just… Routh. Don't like him as an actor in general and his Superman, for me, was a low point.

Have you actually seen Routh in like the two other movies he’s made in his career?

He was nothing like Clark/Superman in that Dylan Dog movie, and Scott Pilgrim. He did a fine job to me. Spacey was fine as well, his Lex was a little bit more serious than Hackman’s so I don’t know why you hated his performance, unless you hate Lex in the originals, then I can understand.

I have no problem if you hate the movie, and like MOS better, but I can’t understand people thinking this movie has more problems than MOS.

I'm about to give Routh a compliment: He's an order of magnitude better than Dean Cane ever was or ever will be in anything.

I don't keep a list going while watching a movie to tick off problems. A bad movie is more than a check-list.

Last edited:
I don't keep a list going while watching a movie to tick off problems. A bad movie is more than a check-list.

Thats fair, I just think because you don’t like the direction Singer took the movie in that you’re classifying it as a bad movie. There are a bunch of movies that I hate but still recognize as well made films, just not my cup of tea, and there are movies I love that I know suck.

After watching a movie I'll sometimes measure it like this: would I rather have not watched it at all? Only a yes or no answer. Returns falls on the yes. Back to "problems" - there are plenty of movies with all manner of problems that don't necessarily impact my ability to enjoy them.

All that said, I believe I've only given Returns one chance - a single viewing. With some other movies I've bitten the bullet and given them another opportunity for whatever reason. Sometimes this plays out in their favor, sometimes not. Classic example for me is Dumb and Dumber. Watchable but sub-par the very first time, loved it the second. Then there are those that only get worse - The first three X-Men for example. And maybe it's not a coincidence that Singer was also behind Returns… Seems like I only have an issue with titles he's written or co-written, because I quite like Apt Pupil, The Usual Suspects and Valkyrie and even TV's Mockingbird Lane which he directed. The last written by Brian Fuller and he's great.

After watching a movie I'll sometimes measure it like this: would I rather have not watched it at all? Only a yes or no answer. Returns falls on the yes. Back to "problems" - there are plenty of movies with all manner of problems that don't necessarily impact my ability to enjoy them.

All that said, I believe I've only given Returns one chance - a single viewing. With some other movies I've bitten the bullet and given them another opportunity for whatever reason. Sometimes this plays out in their favor, sometimes not. Classic example for me is Dumb and Dumber. Watchable but sub-par the very first time, loved it the second. Then there are those that only get worse - The first three X-Men for example. And maybe it's not a coincidence that Singer was also behind Returns… Seems like I only have an issue with titles he's written or co-written, because I quite like Apt Pupil, The Usual Suspects and Valkyrie and even TV's Mockingbird Lane which he directed. The last written by Brian Fuller and he's great.

With the exception of DOFP, I think I hated all of Singer’s superhero films the first time I watched them, his direction definitely focuses more on substance over style, thats kind of what he’s lacking as a director, as I’ve grown up though, I really started to appreciate his style of directing more and more. X2 for example, I hated with a passion the first time watching it, it wasn’t until a few years ago I realized that movie is probably the best marvel superhero film to date, in my opinion. Usual Suspects and Valkyrie I always liked though.

I hated SR the first time I saw it also, I actually just gained appreciation for it last year after watching it for the first time since I saw it in theaters, MOS actually being the reason I wanted to give it another try, I really, really didn’t like MOS, SR is pretty much the anti MOS. Since then, I’ve actually put it in my top 10 superhero movies of all time. If you enjoyed MOS, then you’ll probably still hate SR though.

Both fail in various accounts but I'd have to say that Superman Returns felt more like a Superman movie than Man of Steel did.

I see multiple references to a "Superman movie" and I think that's part of the issue in appreciation for either of these films. I try not to pigeon hole titles, so I don't care if one movie doesn't fit the mould of another. MoS definitely doesn't feel like a Reeve or Reeve-era Superman movie at all, absolutely true. And while I really like the original Superman and Superman II, I also like MoS because it's a complete departure. I've already seen the original, I don't need to see it again with different actors.

There was a lot to like. The plane rescue, the rooftop shootout, the boat rescue. And some dark stuff like Superman getting beat down. But overall it was a basic rehash of the first film.

Man of Steel destroys it.

MOS took a lot from Superman 2, it could almost be a remake.

Characters/themes, but not style, which is why I think some people say it doesn't feel like a "superman movie" - both are contemporary and reflect the period in which they were made, IMO.

MoS worked on all levels. Along with the Nolan Batman Trilogy, it's part of the four best "super" hero movies of all time (Batman isn't actually a superhero)

RRnhhqW.gif

Back