Which Nolan Batman film is better of the two?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one is better?

• Total voters
I think the problem with BB Gotham and TDK Gotham for folks is a matter of Gotham locales showing two different sides of the city and not showing both in the same movie.

Most of the locations seen in Begins were the dregs of the city, and while realistic, they were also a bit stylistic I'd say and visually interesting.

TDK took Gotham's underbelly and spread it to the rest of the city, and basically focused on the areas that the citizens live in.

I like both aspects personally. I find I can get into the story a bit more when it's a world as I see the real world, but at the same time, it's also visually interesting to see a world not like anything I see day to day like in Begins.

Hopefully the third film will be a nice blend of both concepts.

Or maybe Nolans plan was to show Gotham "falling" apart in BB and the aftermath after Batman's work in TDK? The message I recieved in BB was that the city and even all of its officials became utterly corrupt and it took one man to shed light on the whole situation.

Then in TDK its almost as if the ciminals have somewhat run scared and back into the shadows leaving the rest of the city back in the light, hense why there were so many day shots compared to night?

I dunno just a thought.

That'd be a good reason. Whatever the choice, I think it's the fact that Nolan showed a different side of the city in each film that makes people feel the way they do.

Some people talk about TDK's Gotham and I get a sense like they feel Nolan had a cool Gotham in Begins and walked away from it in TDK.

My perception of the films is that TDK is still the Gotham Nolan wanted the city to be, but the "light" side of the city is your typical American city while the "dark" side has a bit of a surrealistic feel. Nolan's Gotham is a typical city with a very troubling underbelly, which if you mix the two films together you get, and I think part 3 will be a marriage because Batman's now an outlaw more than ever, and I think the "light" side isn't going to be so bright and add to the things Batman must overcome to do his duty.

When it was first released, I thought that Batman Begins was about as good a Batman movie as we would ever see. But then Dark Knight came along and completely redefined what was possible with a "superhero" movie. It is really that rare kind of movie that moves the bar away from everything else. It was so great, that it is really unfair to others to compare anything to it, in my opinion.

I have a hard time comparing because I struggle to see them as separate films.

One of the best aspects of TDK is that unlike a lot of sequels, it actually feels like any appropriate continuation of the story. As far as story flow, you'd never know that TDK wasn't planned at the same time as Begins. Most films where the sequel's an after thought, it shows, somehow it's like they can't make the two stories mesh and feel like a bigger story. Begins and TDK are doing that, which is why I really enjoyed TDK, it took the story I already really came to like from Begins and took it further, and now I'm eager for part 3 to deliver the remaining story elements I hope it'll have, redemption, empowerment, really cool stuff.

I voted for TDK only because the microwave emitter still bugs the hell out of me from a logical standpoint. I mean, human bodies are like %70 water, dammit! Still love the movie though, especially the attention to Bruce's character arch.

I voted The Dark Knight. Everything about that movie is awesome. I have it on my Ipod and have been watching it most everyday for a week. My wife is getting tired of me walking round the house saying in a gruff voice " I'm not wearing hockey pads". and if I can't find my keys or slippers I growl at her "where are they!"
Ledger was just unforgettable as the Joker, Eckhart was awesome, Gary Oldman was outstanding, and Bale was brilliant as ever. this is one of the few movies that I don't think I willl ever get tired of. :rock
this sums up how i feel about both movies... but i like Begins just a little more, even though Joker > Ras Al Gul (spellign??)

this sums up how i feel about both movies... but i like Begins just a little more, even though Joker > Ras Al Gul (spellign??)

Well that's what really sways me. I've said in the past the reason why BB used Ra's and Scarecrow and NOT The Joker is because BB was about Batman/Bruce Wayne. So they couldn't have any of the villains overshadowing that. You see what happened in TDK: The Joker overshadowed EVERYONE. lol. That wouldn't have worked in BB. So the villain choices were perfect for BB. But in TDK, Batman was in full swing. So they were able to jump right in. So it's definitely more action packed.. and then they have Batman's #1 villain + Two-Face. So for me, it just works better. I still enjoy BB and enjoy it's slower pace.. but TDK is just a more enjoyable film overall for me since I've always enjoyed villains more than heroes. For me, a hero is only as good as their villains. That's the main reason I've never really liked Superman; Weak ass villains.

Both films are good. You can't really make a "wrong" choice. I don't even consider my decision to pick TDK as a statement of which film I think is "Better".. more as which film I enjoyed more between the two. Because they're so different.. it's impossible to say which is better definitively. Apples and Oranges imo.

I won't vote either above another. They are both great films and there is no need for them to compete. I loved both films and I find I can watch BB over and over again. TDK I have to wait a while between viewing, because it feels like IMHO that I've already experienced it and can wait to enjoy it again.

I won't vote either above another. They are both great films and there is no need for them to compete. I loved both films and I find I can watch BB over and over again. TDK I have to wait a while between viewing, because it feels like IMHO that I've already experienced it and can wait to enjoy it again.

Im going with TDK by a hair, but i think they definetly make eachother better, in a way like godfather 1 and 2. Both great films on thier own, but when combined form amazing cinema. BB and DK would not be as good if its counterpart wasnt made (obviously DK wouldnt exsist cause its a sequel, but i do think DK enhances BB begins by fleshing out nolans world and themes). BB was a fantastic origin tale, and DK truley took the medium to new hieghts.

I think the problem with BB Gotham and TDK Gotham for folks is a matter of Gotham locales showing two different sides of the city and not showing both in the same movie.

Most of the locations seen in Begins were the dregs of the city, and while realistic, they were also a bit stylistic I'd say and visually interesting.

TDK took Gotham's underbelly and spread it to the rest of the city, and basically focused on the areas that the citizens live in.

I like both aspects personally. I find I can get into the story a bit more when it's a world as I see the real world, but at the same time, it's also visually interesting to see a world not like anything I see day to day like in Begins.

Hopefully the third film will be a nice blend of both concepts.

You must be referring to the Narrows in BB, yeah I noticed that as well,
that is one of the aspects I really like in BB. The narrows does have a
stylistic approach. Like you said Nolan is highlighting certain parts of the
city, the fact that I notice Nolan using the color brown in Begins, and TDK
utilizes blue really tells me that each was purposely done for a reason.
I would like to see more of that in a 3rd film or as you said a nice blend.

I think Begins can exist as a great movie without TDK. TDK obviously needs Begins, but it's a sequel, so I guess it has to. Nolan could have walked away after Begins and it would still be the best comic book movie I've ever seen.

I actually didn't really like Begins, I thought it was slow, and the action was too close so you couldn't see the actual fighting.

TDK was just a way more entertaining film IMO. :joy and the action choreography was an improvement. Plus 2 face and Joker were awesome.

Batman Begins all the way. Reply value, I can keep watching BB and not get as tired as TDK. Even though TDK was epic and awesome, I still feel BB has something more than TDK could never top.

Plus I still feel Ra's Ah Ghul was a much better villian than Joker with these two movies. And I love the Joker character much better!!! If that makes sense. I still think Ra's is a much dangerous villian than Joker. In the films, Joker is here to start Anarchy with Gotham, while Ra's wants to destroy it period.

TDK, I just wish it would of had the same look and feel of BB.

my thoughts EXACTLY. maulfan's pov abt bb and tdk focusing on different parts of the city and different thematic elements does seem logical. however, in a film series, continuity is important if you're expecting the audience to feel like the sequels are indeed connected. when the gotham of bb and tdk look so different, it's hard to get back into nolan's batman universe. riko, don't get me wrong. i wasn't expecting a "half-gothic half-realistic" gotham. but as someone said, the narrows in bb had the right dark and slightly stylized feel. tdk did not at all. bb had the monorail running thru pretty much the whole city. it was nowhere to be seen in tdk. it's a disconnect.

and that same logic applies to the actors. hence my problem when they cast an actress so physically different from katie holmes. some may say maggie looks like a slightly older katie, and there is indeed a very slight similarity. but the way they talk, move, etc is worlds apart.

but to be honest, those issues are minor. i can overlook em. unfortunately i really could NOT get past the rushed and unsatisfactory resolution to harvey dent's arc. it felt shoehorned in to me. they did a great job setting up dent as a character. but not enough of 2 face. i felt once he had turned, there was still much his character had to offer.

No Monorail because Gordon blew it up!

City looks different because TDK took place in a different part of the city.

Nuff said.

Back