Which Medi SW Human Likenesses Would You Like To See Next

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
automaton said:
I would be surprised if Medicom strays from its Star Wars armored line. Obviously being in bed with SST must come with some ground rules!
LOL that's kind of a riddiculous assumption or statement. Why on earth would Sideshow dictate what Medicom can or will produce??

If anything, Medicom is the one to set ground rules since Sideshow is the one distributing their product. They say how many Sideshow can have to distribute, which products they can distribute, etc. Not the other way around.

I'd get Maul if they did him but other than some of the armored guys I'd probably save my money for SS. I'd like to see Cody done honestly.

jlcmsu said:
I'd get Maul if they did him but other than some of the armored guys I'd probably save my money for SS. I'd like to see Cody done honestly.

DOHH!!!, thanks for jogging my brain cells Josh, I was thinking in terms of characters we haven't gotten yet. While I don't have the same love for Medi bodies as some people, I do greatly love their neck joints and Maul with that would be so badass, good call bro!

MaulFan said:
It doesn't matter who has what deal with who, LFL licensing is the controller of all.
So youre telling me that LFL can demand Medicom to only do armored characters because Sideshow isnt doing them? LFL can demand Medicom to allow sideshow to sell every figure sideshow deems necessary? I dont think that's how it works.

nash said:
I wasn't trying to argue just to argue. I should have explained myself more thoroughly.

The reason why i referred to your statement as also an excuse is because you stated that people's "opinions" of Medi doing the Luke up in Anime style was an excuse to try to cover up the supposed "real" reason why it is the way it is (ie. bad sculpt which means Medicom just dropped the ball without intention of having it turn out the way it did).

The whole point of my one sentence statement was that neither you, I, or anyone knows exactly Medicom's intentions of their Luke figure or if it was merely a case of short-comings in execution.

So for you to label the Anime argument an excuse without solid grounds or reasoning, puts your statement in the same context.

Thats all.

I don't necesarily agree with that perspective, however, it is a valid discussion point - which I didn't get from your first comment. I apologize for the condescending nature of my first reply - I thought I was responding in kind.

nash said:
So youre telling me that LFL can demand Medicom to only do armored characters because Sideshow isnt doing them? LFL can demand Medicom to allow sideshow to sell every figure sideshow deems necessary? I dont think that's how it works.

LFL is who grants licenses to these guys, it's been said SSC couldn't do 1:1 busts of helmeted characters because MR/Corgi has the license to do helmets that scale. I most certainly believe that LFL is the final yes or no to a company making products and I don't believe any company can produce officially licensed product without LFL's final seal of approval. If Medi goes to LFL and says we want to make Han Solo, I believe if LFL wants it to be so that only SSC does those types of figures, they'll shoot Medi down.

nash said:

Actually Nash is right here. Lucas sold Medicom a license to make Star Wars items for the Japanese/Asian markets. Yes, Sideshow is selling them now, but it's simply an import business venture - which I have a feeling that LFL approved simply based on the fact that both companies are licensees. LFL has somewhat of a say on likeness and designs. However, they cannot control the use of this license - I mean, really, would there be such a thing as Star Wars Transformers if LFL had complete control of Hasbro?!? :lol So, while the Lucas approval department might make suggestions/ request based upon the design of the figure, they would never presume to tell a company what items they could make. And, in all honesty, LFL tends to give Japanese companies much more "wiggle" room in approval than they do American companies.

MaulFan said:
LFL is who grants licenses to these guys, it's been said SSC couldn't do 1:1 busts of helmeted characters because MR/Corgi has the license to do helmets that scale. I most certainly believe that LFL is the final yes or no to a company making products and I don't believe any company can produce officially licensed product without LFL's final seal of approval. If Medi goes to LFL and says we want to make Han Solo, I believe if LFL wants it to be so that only SSC does those types of figures, they'll shoot Medi down.

Actually, that's just an excuse some fans want to throw around - the MR/Corgi one. Sideshow is perfectly in its right to make a Vader or Boba Fett 1:1 bust. That's a bust, not a helmet. The way around the supposed Helmet embargo - which I do not believe exists - is to make the helmeted head and naked head 2 separate pieces i.e 2 sculpted heads to switch out. You would have to do this anyway to avoid scratching the polystone sculpt of the face when moving/removing the helmet.

DouglasMcc said:
Actually, that's just an excuse some fans want to throw around - the MR/Corgi one. Sideshow is perfectly in its right to make a Vader or Boba Fett 1:1 bust. That's a bust, not a helmet. The way around the supposed Helmet embargo - which I do not believe exists - is to make the helmeted head and naked head 2 separate pieces i.e 2 sculpted heads to switch out. You would have to do this anyway to avoid scratching the polystone sculpt of the face when moving/removing the helmet.

OK didn't realize I was dealing with an almighty expert on how all of these companies do business.

I think the biggest issue that everyone could agree with on Medi is their price making it difficult to collect them in large numbers, you can get approximately 3 Sideshow SW figures for 1 Medi, I would love to have the Stormtroopers and Clonetroopers and all, but sadly, with a tight collecting budget, I have to way pricer things against how much I really like them and is it enough to deny many other lesser priced things to get one high end. Boba and Jango are such amazing pieces, they were easy to say yes to, especially when Boba was ordered in place of the PF which was out of my range when shipping time came, and now I get Jango 2, so there's 2 figures for the cost of one piece, I come out better that route. I'll agree that Medi bodies have superior elements over the Buck body, but I'm still baffled at what is so much better about a Medi figure that it's price would be double to triple a Sideshow piece.

MaulFan said:
OK didn't realize I was dealing with an almighty expert on how all of these companies do business.

Actually, I was not trying to be insulting or "talk down" to you. I was just making an observation, not a condemnation of you or anyone else. Most the information I provided is out there on the web. I was just repeating what I have read. If you take offense, oh well, time to move on.

DouglasMcc said:
Actually, I was not trying to be insulting or "talk down" to you. I was just making an observation, not a condemnation of you or anyone else. Most the information I provided is out there on the web. I was just repeating what I have read. If you take offense, oh well, time to move on.

I'm not offended, I just think you should state things as more opinions or state you read something somewhere instead of speaking as though you know things as cast in stone turth is all.

MaulFan said:
DOHH!!!, thanks for jogging my brain cells Josh, I was thinking in terms of characters we haven't gotten yet. While I don't have the same love for Medi bodies as some people, I do greatly love their neck joints and Maul with that would be so badass, good call bro!

No problem. I just can't get enough Maul. As you could tell my the thread I started yesterday with all my Auto's of him. :)

MaulFan said:
I'm not offended, I just think you should state things as more opinions or state you read something somewhere instead of speaking as though you know things as cast in stone turth is all.

Which is the same tone I got from your posts. If I read something on a site I trust, I approach it as fact, until proven otherwise. If you have some links to prove the info I have compiled is wrong, please let me know (that's a request, not some smug attempt at condescension), because this view is based upon research and review, not actual hands-on knowledge.

jlcmsu said:
No problem. I just can't get enough Maul. As you could tell my the thread I started yesterday with all my Auto's of him. :)

Ya I noticed, I don't have any Maul auto's, I really don't care for auto's unless I get them in person, it's that seeing the person that adds the value to owning it for me. Just curious Josh, how Maul collecting obsessive are you, do you buy the Galactic Heroes and Super D figures too, I love owning those things, they may be on the child side of collectibles, but Maul is Maul for me, I even own the M&M Maul, would've gotten the statue but a bit too pricy for a novelty collectible.

MaulFan said:
Ya I noticed, I don't have any Maul auto's, I really don't care for auto's unless I get them in person, it's that seeing the person that adds the value to owning it for me. Just curious Josh, how Maul collecting obsessive are you, do you buy the Galactic Heroes and Super D figures too, I love owning those things, they may be on the child side of collectibles, but Maul is Maul for me, I even own the M&M Maul, would've gotten the statue but a bit too pricy for a novelty collectible.

That's the one thing I'd like to do is get one in person. I'm hoping he will be at SDCC so I can snag an auto in person. I do have a Maul Galactic Hero at school in my classroom and need to get the new one on his speederbike. When they do a VCD Maul I'll get that as well. I have the Fx Saber that has to stay on my floor in my room because its too long. Then the 1:6th and PF of course and someday I'd love to get the 1:1 bust.

jlcmsu said:
That's the one thing I'd like to do is get one in person. I'm hoping he will be at SDCC so I can snag an auto in person. I do have a Maul Galactic Hero at school in my classroom and need to get the new one on his speederbike. When they do a VCD Maul I'll get that as well. I have the Fx Saber that has to stay on my floor in my room because its too long. Then the 1:6th and PF of course and someday I'd love to get the 1:1 bust.

If you're going to C4 he's going to be there.

Back