Which Film Owned 2019?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which film owned 2019?

• Joker

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • Avengers: End Game

Votes: 30 50.8%

• Total voters
Its almost impossible to know all the time which film will be remembered for its year.

I mean, if its 1977 then yeah Star Wars.... 1989, yeah Batman... but that doesn't happen often.

In 1988, the big movie everyone was talking about was Roger Rabbit. But the year is remembered for Die Hard I believe.

2019 might have that split in time. We'll see which resounds over time.

Time will tell. Perhaps neither film will be talked about 10 years from now, and The Lighthouse will be the film of 2019 . :lol

I'm surprised that Joker is still almost even with Endgame honestly. I would have assumed there'd be a lot more support for Endgame. Shows the strength of this peculiar little film.

Every year can be defined by a single movie.

No, not all. 1984, 1987, 1994, 1999, 2001, 2002 are all easy examples of years that can't be quantified by a single film. You can call out a big film from one of those years but like now with EG and Joker I could easily name one or more other films that were just as impactful and "defining."

That and for the foreseeable future it will be #1 all-time box office champ for worldwide total, domestic opening day, domestic opening weekend, and domestic opening week (among a long list of others). And it also had THE most talked about scene (for women) of any comic book movie to date, which in this era is not insignificant (regardless of how we might feel about its quality). It's OK to prefer Joker, but let's not get carried away.

Well, I'd argue Box Office alone does not equal legacy or lasting artistic merit...
As for the "most talked about scene", well, it's a scene... surely there's entire movies that are more relevant for female empowerment, like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel.

But hey, I've no problem with Endgame, I just don't think it sparked the same level of discussion and thought that Joker did, and I don't think it will leave a lasting impression as a movie on its own merits.

Correct. It's not about which film is the "best" or your favorite. Some people don't get it. :lol

Having said that, the poll results are surprisingly close. EG came out in early 2019 and seems to have been forgotten already, while Joker might benefit coming out late in 2019, but will all the award talk, the film will continue to generate headlines in early 2020.

Sorry sorry sorry. Let me rephrase my answer because I guess I thought my intent was obvious:

?My two favorite movies of the year, THAT I ALSO CONSIDER TO BE THE TWO HIGHEST ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENTS IN CINEMA THIS YEAR AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE RELEVANT AND DISCUSSED FOR YEARS TO COME, were Jojo Rabbit and Once Upon a Time. The movie that many people are answering, The Joker, I found to be incredibly overrated and think it?s relevance will fade.?

There. Better? Geez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every year can be defined by a single movie.

No, not all. 1984, 1987, 1994, 1999, 2001, 2002 are all easy examples of years that can't be quantified by a single film. You can call out a big film from one of those years but like now with EG and Joker I could easily name one or more other films that were just as impactful and "defining."

Oh, this might be fun!

Let's see what movies I can remember from the 70's onward...

1970: Probably Love Story (top of the Box Office), I think that movie was all everybody could talk about that year... But I guess something like MASH probably has had a more lasting impact.
1971: Tough year... there's plenty of widely acclaimed classics like French Connection, Dirty Harry, Clockwork Orange, Fiddler on the Roof (top of the Box Office) and Last Picture Show...
1972: Godfather. Nothing else to say about that. (of course there's also Last Tango in Paris and Deliverance)
1973: The Exorcist.
1974: Chinatown and Godfather II are hard to beat...
1975: Jaws.
1976: Taxi Driver and Rocky. Probably in inverse order.
1977: Star Wars.
1978: Grease. But I'd say The Deer Hunter had a more lasting and (obviously) deeper impact.
1979: Tough one, because it has two of my all-time favourite movies: Alien and Apocalypse Now, and both are considered classics that have influenced film-makers for decades. But I'd guess The China Syndrome and Kramer vs. Kramer ruled that year.

1980: The Empire Strikes Back, but honorable mention to Raging Bull and The Shining for lasting impact.
1981: Raiders of the Lost Ark.
1982: E.T. (of course, we all know Blade Runner and The Thing went on to influence movie-making for ever and cult status)
1983: Return of the Jedi. But Flashdance and The Big Chill were really big.
1984: Got to be Ghostbusters. And I don't even think it's such a great movie...
1985: Back to the Future.
1986: Platoon. Another one I don't think is all that great.
1987: Probably Fatal Attraction or Wall Street. Or Dirty Dancing :rotfl
1988: Die Hard. But I would also mention The Accused, I remember that movie sparked a huge discussion.
1989: I'd say Batman and When Harry met Sally, but I think that Do the Right Thing and The Little Mermaid had a more lasting impact.

Anybody want to do the 90's and 00's?

Of course you can, its subjective. I can pick 1977 Star Wars as the defining movie but to plenty of people the truly defining movie that year was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. But that doesn't mean you can't pick a movie that represents the year -- even if its NOT your choice. As long as two or more movies are released, there will always be a deviant choice.

Well, I'd argue Box Office alone does not equal legacy or lasting artistic merit...
As for the "most talked about scene", well, it's a scene... surely there's entire movies that are more relevant for female empowerment, like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel.

But hey, I've no problem with Endgame, I just don't think it sparked the same level of discussion and thought that Joker did, and I don't think it will leave a lasting impression as a movie on its own merits.

Agreed, it doesn't equate to "legacy" per se, but by the same token for 10+ years Avatar was the box office benchmark and was always brought up whenever a film had the potential to challenge it, so that combined with it concluding the most successful movie series ever pretty much guarantees it will be long remembered and discussed. I also agree that the WW & CM films are more relevant in terms of empowerment, but that scene illustrated something else that sets Endgame apart from Joker: It had universal appeal.

Agreed, it doesn't equate to "legacy" per se, but by the same token for 10+ years Avatar was the box office benchmark and was always brought up whenever a film had the potential to challenge it, so that combined with it concluding the most successful movie series ever pretty much guarantees it will be long remembered and discussed. I also agree that the WW & CM films are more relevant in terms of empowerment, but that scene illustrated something else that sets Endgame apart from Joker: It had universal appeal.

Ok, I see your point. :duff

Of course you can, its subjective. I can pick 1977 Star Wars as the defining movie but to plenty of people the truly defining movie that year was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Cuckoo's Nest was '75. ;)

(And I'm not being a know it all I would have guessed '73. For some reason I thought it came out before Chinatown.)

And obviously the timing of the survey benefits Joker. Being a recent release, just coming out on video last week, and coming off of a Golden globe win and Oscar buzz for Phoenix.

If we asked this question 5 years from now, the outcome might be very different.

I still think, for most people, Endgame will be the defining movie of this year. Joker will still be appreciated, but im not sure it will carry its momentum for that long.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

84 is Ghostbusters...maybe Terminator
87 is Lethal Weapon, but Predator is more popular today around these parts.
94 is tough. In 94 both Pulp Fiction and Forest Gump owned the year and so did Lion King. Today The Shawshank Redemption probably owns 94.
1999 is The Matrix
2001 LOTR
2002 Spiderman or LOTR 2

Cuckoo's Nest was '75. ;)

Whoops, that's right -- against Jaws not Star Wars. Well, I was reaching way too far back anyway. But my point remains - 1977 = Star Wars vs Saturday Night Fever vs Annie Hall... depending who you are.

Jaws is so 1975 for me... but plenty of reasons for it to be One Flew Over...

84 is Ghostbusters...
87 is Lethal Weapon, but Predator is more popular today around these parts.
94 is tough. In 94 both Pulp Fiction and Forest Gump owned the year and so did Lion King. Today The Shawshank Redemption probably owns 94.
1999 is The Matrix
2001 LOTR
2002 Spiderman

I agree with all those except even in 1987 I thought Predator was THE film of the year, over Lethal Weapon.

1999 a lot of people would say the return of Star Wars: TPM... but I would also agree '99 is Matrix. Just like '88 is Die Hard.

I don?t know what everyone sees in Joker. It wasn?t bad, but it wasn?t that good. is it really that well liked? I have not read what the critics say about it, I have not read any reviews. I just watched the movie. It was rather boring in spots, tedious in other spots. It did a good job painting a sad character... is this something that you find is relatable? Has this been a particularly sad year, and the movie echoes that to you?

if that is the case, I still go with endgame. It also had sadness, and it was bittersweet.

Maybe it goes beyond that? A mentally sick world, explored in the confines of a movie, and a mentally sick dividual? I guess from that standpoint it would have to win.

Whoops, that's right -- against Jaws not Star Wars. Well, I was reaching way too far back anyway. But my point remains - 1977 = Star Wars vs Saturday Night Fever vs Annie Hall... depending who you are.

Oh okay so you mean defining on a person by person basis. Well then yes each movie can certainly have a single top pick for any given person. Which typically just means "what was your favorite movie that year out of the ones you saw." I took the poll as seeking a more generic and objective answer. Like Titanic in 1997. I mean it certainly wasn't my favorite that year nor did it impact me as much as a handful of others but if a reporter walked up to me on the street and said "sir which film would you say 'owned' 1997" then I'd immediately say Titanic without hesitation.

But personally defining yes that's another matter.

1987 for me was easily RoboCop. I saw it in the theater on my birthday and the friend I was with ran out of the auditorium and literally vomited in the bathroom after seeing Mr. Kenny get blown away, then after Murphy's execution he spent the rest of the film just standing by the auditorium exit in case he'd have to make another hasty retreat. That day was memorable in so many ways that it's burned into my brain, lol.

Infinity War is the better movie.

Endgame is the best ending to a series.

I haven't seen the Joker yet but after watching TROS I've watched Endgame several times now just in awe of how they pulled it off so amazingly.

Infinity War is the better movie.

Endgame is the best ending to a series.

I haven't seen the Joker yet but after watching TROS I've watched Endgame several times now just in awe of how they pulled it off so amazingly.

Same for me. Although now I see IW and Endgame as one, single but very long movie. IW was a better movie by itself though. But, man, Endgame as an end to a series like this and more specifically an end to Tony’s story was moving and just about perfect.

Back