Which figures should I add to my collection?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

501stcanada

Freakzoid
Reaction score
I am trying to collect about 7 clones + RD-D2 + Anakin Skywalker to complete my 501st team. Then I will start collecting the droids to make the force in good balance. However, I realize that, it will cost me a fortune( I am a student and dont have much money :( to buy that many figures.

DO you think its better to just get 3-4 clones + R2-D2 + AS and then start collecting the bad guys, maybe 4-5 of them?

If I stick with plan A, it probably will take 2-3 years to collect everything. I can pretty much complete my clone and R2-D2 this year as I know they wont last long.... The droids, however is something I feel like I wont be able to afford in a few months. I want to get the Geonosis battle droids + the captain + the securities droids + super droid + Droideka + IG-88 + General Grievous + whatever droids they will make ( I am hoping for a commando droid)

Lets say the Geonosis battle droids is coming out this month. How long will they last?

Re: I need some advices!!

In this game plans dont work, buy what you can afford.

Everything goes up once they're released and put on the secondary market. If you're that worried about it, pick up R2 now. Also if you are only displaying them and don't care about packaging etc. you can always pick up clone pieces and make your own. They're everywhere. Its usually cheaper that way too. As for the BDs, its probably best to pick those up now as well since the cost of them will most likely go way up (just look at OOM9)

Everything goes up once they're released and put on the secondary market. If you're that worried about it, pick up R2 now. Also if you are only displaying them and don't care about packaging etc. you can always pick up clone pieces and make your own. They're everywhere. Its usually cheaper that way too. As for the BDs, its probably best to pick those up now as well since the cost of them will most likely go way up (just look at OOM9)

Exactly!! Thats what I am afraid.... There are so many opportunity costs since my budget is limited. Being a student sucks so bad.... Especially during this time. There are so many figures I want to have. Only if SS throws out 2,3 of my favorites figures a year, it would have been much better. I feel like I have been sucked into a race that I could not possibly win.

Exactly!! Thats what I am afraid.... There are so many opportunity costs since my budget is limited. Being a student sucks so bad.... Especially during this time. There are so many figures I want to have. Only if SS throws out 2,3 of my favorites figures a year, it would have been much better. I feel like I have been sucked into a race that I could not possibly win.

If you are on a limited budget, buying into 'army building' is probably a risky idea.. I would suggest focusing on either 501st Clones or Wolf Pack, with one pack of Security Droids and a STAP Droid set.. all should still be available retail (or pre-order for the second Wolf Pack figure).

What I would do is buy the figures that are currently available before they sell out because they'll only just rise in price. Then save up for the figures you want that are on the secondary market.

If you are on a limited budget, buying into 'army building' is probably a risky idea.. I would suggest focusing on either 501st Clones or Wolf Pack, with one pack of Security Droids and a STAP Droid set.. all should still be available retail (or pre-order for the second Wolf Pack figure).
How long does it take for an average figure to be sold out (not those limited edition ones)? I am talking about the battle droids in specific. They will be released in this month. Can I expect them to last until 2016? I am thinking about focusing on 501st this year and 2015 with the exception of General Grievous maybe since he has been out since 2013!!? Then I will buy the droids army in 2016-2017.

How long does it take for an average figure to be sold out (not those limited edition ones)? I am talking about the battle droids in specific. They will be released in this month. Can I expect them to last until 2016? I am thinking about focusing on 501st this year and 2015 with the exception of General Grievous maybe since he has been out since 2013!!? Then I will buy the droids army in 2016-2017.

Good call to go with 501st figures this year, the Echo and Fives twin pack is great value.. if you can squeeze in the STAP Droid set, while its still available at retail, I would grab that as well.. it may go up noticeably in price on the aftermarket once its sold out, because the STAP vehicle is excellent.

The other Droids you should be safer on leaving until later.. but keep an eye on Retailers selling out, it can be very difficult to predict how quickly a figure will run-out at retail, because many of these figures do not have an official edition size.. the original Battle Droid Commander, OOM-9 has gone up a lot in price on the aftermarket, since it sold out at retail.

Good call to go with 501st figures this year, the Echo and Fives twin pack is great value.. if you can squeeze in the STAP Droid set, while its still available at retail, I would grab that as well.. it may go up noticeably in price on the aftermarket once its sold out, because the STAP vehicle is excellent.

The other Droids you should be safer on leaving until later.. but keep an eye on Retailers selling out, it can be very difficult to predict how quickly a figure will run-out at retail, because many of these figures do not have an official edition size.. the original Battle Droid Commander, OOM-9 has gone up a lot in price on the aftermarket, since it sold out at retail.

Yeah, I saw that OOM-9 figure on Ebay:slap.... If this is the case, I think I will grab general Grievous first, and I think I have to pass on the STAP, unless HT will re-make general Grievous in the future. That is also my dilemma. Seeing HT products, I can see that there are many things they can improve on this SS figure. But yeah, I will need general Grievous as the leader for my droid army.

I've seen a few places online that have a loose Grievous. Again if you don't care about packaging then you can save a lot of money.

Yeah, I saw that OOM-9 figure on Ebay:slap.... If this is the case, I think I will grab general Grievous first, and I think I have to pass on the STAP, unless HT will re-make general Grievous in the future. That is also my dilemma. Seeing HT products, I can see that there are many things they can improve on this SS figure. But yeah, I will need general Grievous as the leader for my droid army.

If you want General Grievous, then it does probably make sense to get him first ..but because the Echo & Fives twin pack is significantly cheaper (and includes head sculpts) than buying two Deluxe 501st Clones, I would try to get the double pack next, while it is still available at retail.

Bear in mind, we do not have a detailed release schedule from Hot Toys, for Star Wars figures ..but all the indications are, that they will be focusing on the Original Trilogy and Episode VII, not the Prequel Trilogy.

Add to that, the fact that Hot Toys figures are nearly always more expensive than Sideshow's at retail, yet recent Star Wars figures from Sideshow, are approaching Hot Toys quality. So I would not pass on recent Sideshow Prequel figures, on the off chance that Hot Toys might get around to their own version, at some unspecified point in the distant future.

HT aftermarket prices also appear to be having a knock-on effect, on some Sideshow aftermarket pricing.. so, as you say, it is wise to prioritise the order in which you intend to acquire the figures that you want, to keep costs down.

I've seen a few places online that have a loose Grievous. Again if you don't care about packaging then you can save a lot of money.

Could you send me the links? It seems that he is a fragile figure. I don't know how will the delivery turn out if he is not placed properly in his box....

If you want General Grievous, then it does probably make sense to get him first ..but because the Echo & Fives twin pack is significantly cheaper (and includes head sculpts) than buying two Deluxe 501st Clones, I would try to get the double pack next, while it is still available at retail.

Bear in mind, we do not have a detailed release schedule from Hot Toys, for Star Wars figures ..but all the indications are, that they will be focusing on the Original Trilogy and Episode VII, not the Prequel Trilogy.

Add to that, the fact that Hot Toys figures are nearly always more expensive than Sideshow's at retail, yet recent Star Wars figures from Sideshow, are approaching Hot Toys quality. So I would not pass on recent Sideshow Prequel figures, on the off chance that Hot Toys might get around to their own version, at some unspecified point in the distant future.

HT aftermarket prices also appear to be having a knock-on effect, on some Sideshow aftermarket pricing.. so, as you say, it is wise to prioritise the order in which you intend to acquire the figures that you want, to keep costs down.
Thank you Taibhse. your advice is very useful :clap If they will be focusing on the original trilogy and the episode VII like you said, then it is kinda risky to wait.
I already got Echo and Fives phase 1, and the deluxe 501st. I think I will get Grievous now and R2 this year. So pretty much a good bye to Ipad Air 2 :wave I think I also need to sell some of my stuffs to get more money for next year. The whole 501st team will be landed at SS next year :hi5:

No worries.. enjoy your collection! :hi5:

If you want to buy something that is gift card eligible, just pm me. I might give you my $50 gift card as I cant see anything that interest me now, and it will expire in a week or so.

If you have a $50 Gift Card, is the S.T.A.P and Battle Droid set not eligible? (Sideshow's web page says it is GC eligible).. it would be only $124.99 plus shipping, if it is.
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collect...nd-battle-droid-sideshow-collectibles-100045/

You re right! I did not notice that, what a mistake... But I am waiting from Helion. He is selling his general grievous. I made an offer gor it for $200 + my gift card. But if we cannot make that deal, then maybe I have to reconsider this guy...

Buy it when you see it, otherwise you will regret it.

Nix all the clones. Buy Vader and the droids and call it a day.

I have the Vader but I wish I bought more Clones instead. Difficult for me to rid of Vader now coz the box is SO HUGE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back