Where are the LotR fans?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree about the LS busts. Can't find anything to fix on my Lurtz PF, though I would agree there are flaws to the others. And that is the problem here. If I'm going to pay $250+ for a PF statue I don't want to have to fix anything, or pay someone else to fix it for me.

Very true, I forgot about Lurtz, I think he is the exception to the rule so far.
x

Sideshow should look to do some cross promotion with the Lord of the Rings Online MMO video game. Thousands of potential new customers.

There you go WetaWork - that's a great suggestion. Maybe a little advertising flyer in the game box. They probably already know about it, but it's a start.

Or maybe an exclusive figure for the game players - that could work both ways.

On a bit of a tangent, but I think SW has a more persistent fanbase, at least currently, due to the fact that it carries a lot of nostalgia. A lot of people grew up with Star Wars, and are now of an age where they have disposible income. Kids growing up with Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter have a few more years before they look back fondly on the stories that were so prominent in their childhood.

Does anyone remember what happened to Star Wars from 1985 to oh, say about 1995?

Well, not that I was all that old in 1984 after Return of the Jedi came and went but shortly after that Star Wars popularity went down the drain. Now I'm not saying that Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are identical phenomenons or properties, but as pop culture touchstones they do share some similarities.

Let's not forget that for a good ten years no one cared much about Star Wars items, collecting or otherwise.

Just drawing a correlation between the two to illustrate the type of period that LOTR may be dealing with.

On a bit of a tangent, but I think SW has a more persistent fanbase, at least currently, due to the fact that it carries a lot of nostalgia. A lot of people grew up with Star Wars, and are now of an age where they have disposible income. Kids growing up with Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter have a few more years before they look back fondly on the stories that were so prominent in their childhood.

Very true and like Star Wars it may take a good few years for the same to happen to LOTR, at least in regards to the films.

The other problem is theres so much new stuff coming. When SSW was around there was no Star Wars, Marvel and alot of other lines. Other companies like GG have become popular and are making nice stuff. Alot of competition, I only collected SS at 1st, but I think GG is doing a great job. There LOTR stuff is awesome, even the Potter line is excellent, there's not 1 bad piece in the Potter line, even the LOTR line. The likeness is right on with GG, where with SS alot of there stuff is up & down.

Last night I checked out my "collection" and found that 99% of the items are from Sideshow. To be honest, the majority is from the Sideshow/Weta line but many other pieces such as statues and figures are Sideshow's as well.

That is key in that once a person "discovers" a Sideshow line, it usually leads them to other lines that Sideshow carries.

So by advertising for say "Spiderman" or "Star Wars" or even "WoW", the fans of those lines may discover the LOTR lines and Sideshow may gain new customers in that way.

The majority of my collection was indeed action figures and toys based on LOTR, but I have since ventured into polystone, metal, resin, and other higher-end collectibles. Originally, my COLLECTIBLES collection was ONLY SSW, but since it has gone by the wayside, I have GG, Sideshow, Master Replicas, United, NECA, and tons more. I think the fall of SSW actually was good for LOTR fans...now so many more companies are developing kickin products! I LOVE the GG Animaquettes...they are very cool. I just wish someone like Marvel Toys would snag up the LOTR license and churn out some more action figures. There is so much potential to reinvent the line with fresh likenesses and fresh sculpts.

Geb

Where are the LOTR fans? Of the many arguments being bandied about so far here I think an overabundance of choice and product from various companies is creating a consumer that is much more selective with what they choose to add to their collections.

I do NOT think it has anything to do with a lack of quality or any of the "political" reasons being offered here...people ultimately buy something for their collection because they like it...it's appearance, it's size, the materials it's made from, how it fits into the rest of their collection and of course what the piece is portraying.

One component that I do believe is affecting the popularity of the 1:6 line here is the pace of the releases. Oh, I totally understand and respect the fact that Sideshow is widening their focus with the variety of licenses and products they are offering the collector...and that may take focus away from the 1:6 line as other lines gain popularity and appeal. And of course, look at what has been released thus far from the LOTR line in 1:6 format, one can see the intense R&D that has been involved to find the right materials to produce the detailed outfits and accessories these figures demand.

And the four we've received so far have been exceptional...

976173974_a7b89ce53a_b.jpg

As for drawing more attention to the 1:6 line (or all of the LOTR offerings from Sideshow)...I think WetaWork is onto something with the idea of cross promotion with the Lord of the Rings Online MMO video game. A good start and definitely a good idea...but I would go further.

Approach New Line about putting inserts/coupons in the eventual Blue-ray/HD releases of the films on DVD....find a book club that offers the classic books and do an insert there. I'm sure there are other ideas of cross-promotion that would work well.

One obvious one is right within the company...while the website and newsletter are very good at getting the news out, doing more cross-promotion between the lines would be good. For example, someone orders a SW figure, include a write-up on the LOTR line on a flyer with the figure when it ships. Not a whole catalog, just a flyer that is focused on the one line/product. An example: "You've added the nobility of the Jedi to your collection...now consider the Fellowship..." Sounds corny maybe, but it made you smile and got your attention, right?

These are just a few ideas that might help bring awareness about this line beyond the faithful. Of course, Sideshow will continue going to Cons and presenting lavish displays of what's coming up and the best advertising of all is the classic word-of-mouth on how great these figures are...

The Hobbits are coming....hopefully that will be the spark the 1:6 line needs to really take off...

Interesting points by all. If anything, I don't feel GG is having much problems getting people to buy their line. Granted, GG has lousy customer service, but they seem to make the right decisions on which ones will appeal and the choices of poses so far. This is true for both their SW , HP and LOTR, and soon, even the POTC line.

If there's anything to take away from GG, is for some reason, their approach in what to release and its frequency seems to be working. I don't know who they use to get the ideas of whom to release or what choice of pose, but they seem to be doing a great job of it. The bad news is that as much as I tried to stay away from them, I still find myself suckered in.

GG can maintain the pace because they just do polystone pieces. The R&D on mixed media is much more intensive and time consuming. But I agree that the line needs to reach a critical mass that will keep the momentum moving. GG has done that with HP and even LotR, even after a short time. SSC has acheived it with Star Wars, but have yet to so with LotR.

Most of GG's pieces are indeed well designed and well thought out but the only GG piece I ever owned (Strider bust) was sold within a month. I saw the hell that they were making their Star Wars customers go through, inregards to the different Clone Trooper exclusives and I feared the same for the LOTR line. That was enough for me to jump ship.

Getting back to Sideshow's 1/6th scale line, is the main issue here really how to provide more exposure to the line or finding out why those that are aware of the line are not getting into it?

That's two different topics.

The PF line has gone no where due to the lenghty time between announcements then the disappointment of the result when pics were finally released. I bought Frodo and tried to ignore the terrible likeness in the hope that the other eight would be more actor/movie accurate.Now I have seen Gandalf, I think that is the final nail in the LOTR coffin for me.

this pretty much sums my position on LOTR.

I was so excited about this line when I get my Lurtz. I also purchased Frodo hoping that the next announcements will be better and Frodo will not be made in the near future. However, Gandalf is the biggest disappointment of the year for me so far.
If there will be no new WELL DONE PF announcements in the next two months, I probably will sell my Lurtz and Frodo(if I am lucky)

I am buying the GG LOTR stuff now and they are doing good so far

GG can maintain the pace because they just do polystone pieces. The R&D on mixed media is much more intensive and time consuming. But I agree that the line needs to reach a critical mass that will keep the momentum moving. GG has done that with HP and even LotR, even after a short time. SSC has acheived it with Star Wars, but have yet to so with LotR.

Not only that but they are relatively cheap. Face it, most of the LOTR fans were also weaned from the Weta teet, and most are polystone (or whatever it is that GG uses) or bust. The PF has a LOT to prove from the very beginning.

IMO I think that cost is the factor. I'm sure many if not most of the LOTR fans out there if given a choice to have collectible figures/pieces from sideshow from example would turn it down. They either just do not have the money to afford the hobby or else have other priorities on where they should spend their money on. Most fans probably just collect simple and small items like dvds and stamps.

Just think about it. How many of you here actually passed buying the Balrog, Cave Troll, RWOS etc.... when they were released because you thought they were rather expensive? I'm one of these people.

[/QUOTE]Just think about it. How many of you here actually passed buying the Balrog, Cave Troll, RWOS etc.... when they were released because you thought they were rather expensive? I'm one of these people.[/QUOTE]

I was late to the show, but I remember drooling over the RWOS at the SS site.. It was sold out, but had waitlist. I had yet to ever buy a piece, but wanted to get on the list. I called MRs. Took, who thought I'd been in the ol' Wynyard again. Needless to say, I ended up getting one later, for much more than $275!

I've been an avid collector of Tolkien items since 1977. Got most of the SSW statues and all the busts with many first edition and older edition Tolkien books. I've been fortunate enough over the years to collect hand written items by J.R.R.Tolkien (a few of these I sold for huge amounts during the LOTR movie craze). I was a charter member in the fan club and have my and my two sons names in the credits on all three extended edition version of the movies. I loved the movies but the books are far, far better. That is why I never really worried about whether the SSW statues looked like the actors in movie. The character was much more important to me than the actors playing them. ( I thought some parts were mis-cast anyway).

Anyway, this collector has been here a long time and hopefully, a long time to come. Sideshow, bring on those dioramas!!!!:D

Last edited:
I've been an avid collector of Tolkien items since 1977. Got most of the SSW statues and all the busts with many first edition and older edition Tolkien books. I've been fortunate enough over the years to collect hand written items by J.R.R.Tolkien (a few of these I sold for huge amounts during the LOTR movie craze). I was a charter member in the fan club and have my and my two sons names in the credits on all three extended edition version of the movies. I loved the movies but the books are far, far better. That is why I never really worried about whethter the SSW statues looked like the actors in movie. The character was much more important to me than the actors playing them. ( I thought some parts were mis-cast anyway).

Anyway, this collector has been here a long time and hopefully, a long time to come. Sideshow, bring on those dioramas!!!!:D

Your two kids weren't named Merry and Pippin were they? I tried to get my brother to name his twins that, but his wife wouldn't let him. (HONESTLY!) I love everything LoTR. With star wars, they are making stuff on the EU and the LoTR has such a rich EU, they could make ENDLESS items based on that and this collector would buy them. I want a 12" Fëanor, or a Luthien, that type of stuff. Wish someone would make them :monkey2

Your two kids weren't named Merry and Pippin were they? I tried to get my brother to name his twins that, but his wife wouldn't let him. (HONESTLY!) I love everything LoTR. With star wars, they are making stuff on the EU and the LoTR has such a rich EU, they could make ENDLESS items based on that and this collector would buy them. I want a 12" Fëanor, or a Luthien, that type of stuff. Wish someone would make them :monkey2

:rotflI do have a dog named Pippin. My wife's liscense plate is PIPPINN and mine is VALINOR. And yes, the possibilities are endless for LOTR collectibles. I also would love for Sideshow to do dioramas based on Middle-earth's distant past. Morgoth made Sauron look like a sissy so a Morgoth dio with him sitting on his throne in Angband would be awesome.

Back