When will the next 1/6 anouncement be?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When will the next announcement be?

• Within the first half of March

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • By the end of March

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Between April and SDCC

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Not until SDCC

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • I think the line is dead!

Votes: 14 20.9%

• Total voters
I voted for end of March. I'm hoping we'll get an announcement with a teaser pic (like they did with Faramir) during that time, and then prior to SDCC we'll get a nice pic of the prototype. Everyone will then see it at SDCC, hopefully with a surprise figure(s) not previously announced.

I think SDCC will be the test for this line. Either we see a definite increase in attention by Sideshow or this line will have sailed over the Falls of Rauros like Boromir...:monkey3

jlcmsu said:
I don't want to wait forever but I'd rather them take the time needed to get every detail right. The costumes on the LOTR figures are as complicated as any thing you'll see from SW. Like the aromored ones there they are taking their time to get it right.

I don't want to wait forever either, and you're absolutely right about getting the costume details right. I'm sure that's exactly what they're doing, as well as the new figure body designs. I'm quite certain they plan to release some armoured versions too later on down the line, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Boromir and Faramir make new appearances as armoured figures. Théoden is one I'm especially looking forward to, and the list goes on and on. Once they work out some of those design issues it will all change for the better. I hope...:D

Let's go back in time, shall we? Say, five years.

In early 2002, Weta was up to their eyeballs in the postproduction, model building, and reshoots for the FOTR EE, TTT, and ROTK. Yet the very same designers, model builders and sculptors who worked on those movies managed to pump out statues, busts and helms on a virtually weekly basis. Within the first year of the announcement of the Sideshow/Weta collectible line, we had a full roster of diverse products. It didn't catch on fire with the collecting community until the release of the TTT EE DVD, in late 2003, but it was still being dilligently manufactured throughout this time.

Now, you just can't, can't, can't tell me that Weta somehow had it easier with those polystone and metal lines than Sideshow has it now with their 12" and PF lines. Sure, there's a lot of work involved, and everything has to be okayed by the rights holder or holders, but this was also true of the SS/W product.

To take another example: it took me about a month to translate The Children of Húrin. Was it a rush job? No, emphatically not. I mulled over every word, every comma and every sentence, considering the originals and the existing translations the entire time. It was one of the most complex tasks I ever faced. But I worked eight full hours a day, and one can achieve a lot in that time. (And, please, don't tell me that designing figures and their clothing and accessories is a more demanding type of work.)

What I'm particularly sad about is this: the lack of announcements, and the lack of any clear idea about where a particular line is headed, wreaks havoc with the collectors' commitment and faith. Some choose to criticize (sometimes rashly), some choose to defend (sometimes sycophantically). But the collectors should never have been put into this position in the first place -- to be asked to collect a line without a lineup and a time table.

This is, by the way, why I'm very grateful for the manner in which the SW Diorama line was announced -- we got a price range, we got a general idea of how many pieces a year to expect, and we got a sample that told us what to expect. It all made it so much easier for me to enter into a long-term commitment.

Right as SS has said several times design issues are slowing this line down. It sucks to wait but it's better than a messed up product.

Seretur said:
Let's go back in time, shall we? Say, five years.

In early 2002, Weta was up to their eyeballs in the postproduction, model building, and reshoots for the FOTR EE, TTT, and ROTK. Yet the very same designers, model builders and sculptors who worked on those movies managed to pump out statues, busts and helms on a virtually weekly basis. Within the first year of the announcement of the Sideshow/Weta collectible line, we had a full roster of diverse products. It didn't catch on fire with the collecting community until the release of the TTT EE DVD, in late 2003, but it was still being dilligently manufactured throughout this time.

Now, you just can't, can't, can't tell me that Weta somehow had it easier with those polystone and metal lines than Sideshow has it now with their 12" and PF lines. Sure, there's a lot of work involved, and everything has to be okayed by the rights holder or holders, but this was also true of the SS/W product.

To take another example: it took me about a month to translate The Children of Húrin. Was it a rush job? No, emphatically not. I mulled over every word, every comma and every sentence, considering the originals and the existing translations the entire time. It was one of the most complex tasks I ever faced. But I worked eight full hours a day, and one can achieve a lot in that time. (And, please, don't tell me that designing figures and their clothing and accessories is a more demanding type of work.)

What I'm particularly sad about is this: the lack of announcements, and the lack of any clear idea about where a particular line is headed, wreaks havoc with the collectors' commitment and faith. Some choose to criticize (sometimes rashly), some choose to defend (sometimes sycophantically). But the collectors should never have been put into this position in the first place -- to be asked to collect a line without a lineup and a time table.

This is, by the way, why I'm very grateful for the manner in which the SW Diorama line was announced -- we got a price range, we got a general idea of how many pieces a year to expect, and we got a sample that told us what to expect. It all made it so much easier for me to enter into a long-term commitment.

Very well said! :clap SS can give us all the excuses they want, though it doesn't appear that many are buying it any more....funny how they don't seem to be having any of these problems with Marvel and Star Wars :confused:

Seretur said:

You don't think they had several of these in the can ready to be made? Then as those came out they where working on the next group of statues. That all it took was the word go for these to start whatever production stuff came next? Not to mention sculpting (an entire piece) a piece I would venture to guess is easier than finding the right materials for the protos making that look right then making sure the same for the production piece. Plus having to sculpt the piece as well. Then it has to go through the rights holder. So I would say that Weta did have it easier than SS does on their lines. There are more steps to what SS does than what Weta had to do.

Seretur said:
(And, please, don't tell me that designing figures and their clothing and accessories is a more demanding type of work.)

It may or may not be more demanding but I would say it's no less as demanding as you translating a book. You honestly have no idea how hard a work it is with what they do and to say it's not as hard as what you do is rude and very arrogant.

Seretur said:

This line is headed into making LOTR 1:6 Scale figures based on the movie. That pretty much is the line. Sure it's slow and some people aren't dedicated enough or patient enough to see things through. Folks are being asked to collect figures from the Movies that's the lineup. Plus SS has never announced what figures they're doing in any line. So why do so here?

jlcmsu said:
No, I'm not wish I did work for them though. Outside of Teaching it would be my second choice. :D

The real crime here is that SS hasn't hired you for their PR Dept.

That's probably what it boils down to, Sideshow's got too many irons in the fire at the moment. If we can hang in there a while longer I think we'll get the sort of figures we've all been hoping for. As far as I know, Weta was only doing LOTR, at least back then, so I don't know if it's a fair comparison or not. I will say SSC could probably do something more to hold our interest until they're ready to start things rolling. A lot of us would like some expansion sets, like they've done with Star Wars. I bet that would help ease the pain! I read something last winter, from an apparently reliable source (which I won't name, sorry!) that said they had something like 15+ figures planned, so I honestly don't believe the line is dead just yet...:D

Last edited:
I'm no homer, but I don't think that the situation as put forward is completely analogous.

For one, none of us know (at least to the best of my knowledge) exactly when the Weta crew began doing these sculpts. What other projects they were completing at the time and the deadlines mandated for their work. It is also a stretch to apply the re-shoots, etc as compounding their workload as for most of the sculptors their work was well in the can.

I am not thrilled with the delays in the LOTR line (as if anyone is), and I do find real reason to suspect that other licenses are getting the majority of the attention. I am not going to buy completely into the "can't rush costuming" etc, argument solely as the reason for the delays.

Lord of the Rings just isn't the money maker it once was, and Sideshow has obviously become a much more diverse and lucrative company since then anyway.

This line may not be dead, but this pace may kill it for me. The GG busts look great, and they have twice as many in half the time. SS is about to lose me to GG. I'm going to wait to get Boromir and the first GG busts and compare.

LOTRFan said:
Lord of the Rings just isn't the money maker it once was, and Sideshow has obviously become a much more diverse and lucrative company since then anyway.

That is the bottom line. SS is a company whose main interest is to make money, pure and simple and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's pretty obvious Marvel and Stars Wars are the big money-makers for SS these days, and this is where their energy and focus is being directed. The reign of LOTR is over, the movies have been out of the limelight for quite some time, and alot of people have simply lost interest.

What would be nice is for SS to just stop with the corporate nonsense and tell it like it is!

woodsy said:
That is the bottom line. SS is a company whose main interest is to make money, pure and simple and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's pretty obvious Marvel and Stars Wars are the big money-makers for SS these days, and this is where their energy and focus is being directed. The reign of LOTR is over, the movies have been out of the limelight for quite some time, and alot of people have simply lost interest.

Agreed. Though we should remember that they are still making the Legendary Scale busts and dioramas in addition to their 12" and PF lines. I find both lines promising, even if they (LOTR collectibles in general) are not being announced at break-neck speed.

I agree that SS has to many irons in the fire!! LOTR irons!

Legendery scale, PF, 12" and Diorams...

I think they should drop one, and that is the legendery busts... They are just to darn big! very hard to collect!

Calle_Sandell said:
I agree that SS has to many irons in the fire!! LOTR irons!

Legendery scale, PF, 12" and Diorams...

I think they should drop one, and that is the legendery busts... They are just to darn big! very hard to collect!

Forget that! :nono Drop the dolls [12"] and trinkets [dioramas] if you have to...but leave the busts alone, they :rock

Back