When will the 1:6 bubble pop?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Price is definitely going to be the issue. It sucks because i just got into hot toys, but when i buy a predator for $170 and think i got a deal, things are a bit too high. Its enough that i'm not going to get the dx joker or batman, just the extra parts that weren't on the original figs like heads and jokers coat from people who kit them out on ebay. Its waaaaay to expensive to get one, but another thing entirely when they release a better version of the same figure a year later for 50% more.

when I get bored collecting................and I'm getting there and it hasn't been a year for me!:lol...

Ironically HT just lowered the price on the Batman DX. At first I thought IM and JC were part of the DX series when I saw the price with all of the extras and the stands. Where is the line drawn between what is a DX and what is not? I can't tell any more. They all cost too damn much.

So how is it that the DX now costs less than the regular editions? :confused:

As Maulfan (I believe) pointed out in another thread, the engineering that has gone into the BD Iron Man and giant scorpion tail-looking-thing with Connor likely contributed to their cost.

So far, it seems like the only thing distinguishing the DX figures from the others are moving eyeballs and their distinctive base.

Their prices seem really variable from figure to figure and line to line. And not necessarily based just on clothing/accessories. I guess they pass the licensing costs onto the consumer. Otherwise, I don't see how Silk Spectre is $20 more than the Planet of the Apes figures.

Iron Man MKIII BD could easily have been marketed as a DX version. Even the stand is similar to the DX Batman one. With all of the enhancements over the regular MKIII I don't see why it wasn't. The DX series is supposed to be just that.

DX will prolly just turn out to be TDK offerings.

But yea, the $200 tag of the Final Battle JC was pretty funny.

I think the bubble will burst when Hot Toys decides. When they finish saturating the market.

the prices are getting ridiculous but the problem is collector's won't stop buying expensive figures.. so of course they won't stop making them

I'm confused as to how it's a problem. I don't think anyone would be getting these figures for $100 under any other circumstances. Maybe some Sideshow figures, but not Iron Man, DX Batman, Predator, Terminator, etc. Even when the prices drop in the after market, that doesn't change the fact that Hot Toys needs to make a certain profit margin per unit. It's not just a matter of what the market will handle. The fact that DX Batman is only $15 more than Medicom's Darth Vader from how many years ago is kind of a miracle, especially considering how much more amazing a figure Batman promises to be. The Mark III was the same price initially, right? I don't think there's any comparison.

The only way prices could come down is if the entire economic climate changed. I don't know how much better it would be if these figures were being priced during the late 90's tech boom (Dow cresting 10,000 and all). I think things would have to be better than even that.

the prices are getting ridiculous but the problem is collector's won't stop buying expensive figures.. so of course they won't stop making them

true...... as long as people still have jobs to buy them and as long as the credit card companies keep lending to buy them...

I know price has almost never been an issue for me. If I really like it I buy it. Simple enough. If I feel the product doesn't satisfy then i'll look at the high price as fault. It is kind of odd that not too long ago Rocky and Rambo's were pretty consistant at around $99 and now something similar will cost almost 35% more. Most Rambo's and Rocky's required the rubber body so the material costs were as high as something produced today.

Still again, price has never been an issue for me.

Try and explain that your Hot Toys Predator is worth retail close to $200 Cad and watch their expression. You could show me and I can see why and agree that it is one awesome figure, but to most people its just a doll.

Back