When toy companies re-release old figures: a good thing or bad thing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like it when toy companies re-release figures?

• I like it when companies re-release old figures

Votes: 55 64.7%
  • It bothers me a little bit when companies re-release old figures

Votes: 30 35.3%

• Total voters
at the beginning of the day, I know that my stuff will explode in value to worth 100+ times what I pay for so at the end of the day I am all set to rake it in. :) no, seriously, all my junk shot up in price as soon as I get them, its unavoidable, like law of nature. :lol

that's great man... im really happy for you.. :clap

just avoid overstocking i guess...
i know some stores in my country that overstock tracker predator hoping that they can make some money of it, turns out now it is selling at usd 80 bucks each... the PO price was around 170 i think.. :slap (no exaggeration)

I have no objection at all to re-releases. I'm not buying toys as an investment and I'm certainly not worried about "exclusivity". If demand exists and a company has a license still in force I can't imagine why you wouldn't run off some more product. And honestly, I really am perfectly happy to see improvements and additional accessories made available. I am a total sucker for that stuff and keep upgrading Batman every time a new version is offered. And if the Tumbler is offered again I hope they do make some improvements concerning the interior detail. I love the upgraded figures and I'll equally love an even nicer Tumbler.

as long as they dont over do it and make valid improvements but it sucks for those who have sought after figures and a better version comes out

I'm up for re-releasing everything. I want a Rocobop rerelease :p

I don't care if a figure goes up on value in the after market or not, I love my figures from the cheapest to the most expensive. And sometimes expensive does not mean "great" *cough*Indy*cough* . This is toy collecting, not stock investment.

I collect because I enjoy them. Re-releases annoy me sometimes because I just want the best version of each character represented in my collection and when they release an updated version, I end up having to buy the newer, better one. However, it is what is, so there's no point in _____ing about it.

Direct re-issues are okay. But re-releasing a new version with some tweaks within 18 months and make it sound all self-righteous by saying something along the lines of "we're trying to bring you the best version of so-&-so", or "we like to challenge ourselves by besting our previous efforts" just makes me puke.

I'm not really bothered by re-issues but what does bother me about HT is not finishing of the lines there already started. Like Platoon for example, I need my damn Elias already

I like it when they re-release. especially after I flipped the original for a big profit.

When a figure looks outdated I think a re-release is justified.

well i think in some ways to get a new and improved figure through being re-released is good..it kills the sellers on ebays trying to make a ton of money out of a piece but hey i am all for it..please give us an updated new improved rocky and rambo on new bodies.

If its been a long time, and is a single iconic figure like like the classic predator it's okay, the problem with the MK 1 is that the line is overdone as it is and shouldn't have too much made from it there have been remakes for the MK 2 and 3 and now 1, so the point becomes why should i buy any if they're gonna remake them again.

If they remade the Colonial Marines i dont think too many would be upset as the amount of improvements HT has made will impress the existing owners and especially the line hasn't been touched in so long where as the Iron Man line hasn't stopped, and it seems too soon for the MK 1.

I think remakes should be done in order of problems with quality, the DX02 is a prime candidate as the problems with that are un-forgivable, so i didn't buy it, but if the fixed it i'd buy it, a Hellboy remake without a crackable rubber body would be welcome.

Just my opinions.

I'm not really bothered by re-issues but what does bother me about HT is not finishing of the lines there already started. Like Platoon for example, I need my damn Elias already

:goodpost: :exactly: i want line completion or devotion outside of Iron Man, Batman and Predators.

When a figure looks outdated I think a re-release is justified.

:clap, the MK 1 isn't yet outdated, thus shouldn't have a remake yet.

Last edited:
I can't say it bothers me at all really, unless I'm really unlucky and something gets announced in a slightly better version only a couple of days after I have purchased the older version. But I blame something like that on personal bad luck more than anything else.

Fact is, I'm a collector, and as such I collect purely for the enjoyment of it. So the only value that matters to me is the personal enjoyment I get from owning whatever it is that I choose to collect. Monetary values of what something is worth if I were to sell it doesn't really figure into my personal mindset, and everything I have purchased was done so at a price that I was willing to pay at the time. If someone gets the same thing cheaper down the line, good luck to them. Doesn't affect or bother me one way or the other. After all, in my own time as a collector I've gotten my own share of great deals, just as I've also paid above retail for older pieces that I really wanted, it's all part of the deal as far as I'm concerned. And at the end of the day I've paid what something was worth to me at the time in order to own whatever the piece is in question. Whatever may happen in the future as far as re-releases or superior products being made goes doesn't change or invalidate that, nor does it diminish the enjoyment I originally got from owning said piece.

To me, my collection isn't an investment, it is purely a collection, and the money that I have spent on it is money that is gone. The money I spent was done for the enjoyment I get out of owning the pieces that I own, and as I am careful to only buy what I really like and want, I have already gotten my money's worth (unless a production piece turns out to be a dud or whatever) .

Sure, I can see the point of view that if I ever were to sell anything that it would be nice to get back what I paid, or even make a profit (then again I can say the same thing about anything I own), but honestly, that kind of thing is merely gravy to me, it is not why I collect, has no bearing on what I collect, or how long I keep it for. I'm not judging those that do put importance on percieved monetary or market value, it just isn't a factor to me personally. So re-releases, edition numbers and sizes, and the like just don't have much impact on me and the how, what and why of my personal collecting choices and habits.

Last edited:
it's great that other companies make old figures, is one more way that collectors have to choose, this is called diversity.

A re-release goes against anything considered "collectible". I think its a bad idea, and may be a major blow to a company. I feel bad for those who paid 3x more for a product that will now be re-released.

I can't say it bothers me at all really, unless I'm really unlucky and something gets announced in a slightly better version only a couple of days after I have purchased the older version. But I blame something like that on personal bad luck more than anything else.

Fact is, I'm a collector, and as such I collect purely for the enjoyment of it. So the only value that matters to me is the personal enjoyment I get from owning whatever it is that I choose to collect. Monetary values of what something is worth if I were to sell it doesn't really figure into my personal mindset, and everything I have purchased was done so at a price that I was willing to pay at the time. If someone gets the same thing cheaper down the line, good luck to them. Doesn't affect or bother me one way or the other. After all, in my own time as a collector I've gotten my own share of great deals, just as I've also paid above retail for older pieces that I really wanted, it's all part of the deal as far as I'm concerned. And at the end of the day I've paid what something was worth to me at the time in order to own whatever the piece is in question. Whatever may happen in the future as far as re-releases or superior products being made goes doesn't change or invalidate that, nor does it diminish the enjoyment I originally got from owning said piece.

To me, my collection isn't an investment, it is purely a collection, and the money that I have spent on it is money that is gone. The money I spent was done for the enjoyment I get out of owning the pieces that I own, and as I am careful to only buy what I really like and want, I have already gotten my money's worth (unless a production piece turns out to be a dud or whatever) .

Sure, I can see the point of view that if I ever were to sell anything that it would be nice to get back what I paid, or even make a profit (then again I can say the same thing about anything I own), but honestly, that kind of thing is merely gravy to me, it is not why I collect, has no bearing on what I collect, or how long I keep it for. I'm not judging those that do put importance on percieved monetary or market value, it just isn't a factor to me personally. So re-releases, edition numbers and sizes, and the like just don't have much impact on me and the how, what and why of my personal collecting choices and habits.

:exactly::goodpost::lecture:peace

Sorry work13, but you lost that argument against Mike. Too many contradictions.

yes work13 lost the argument, but i get what he's trying to say and feel..

he probably should have made this thread with different title regarding prices/value..

ex. "does price affect you as a collector?" or something...

Back