When toy companies re-release old figures: a good thing or bad thing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like it when toy companies re-release figures?

• I like it when companies re-release old figures

Votes: 55 64.7%
  • It bothers me a little bit when companies re-release old figures

Votes: 30 35.3%

• Total voters
You feel shortchanged by what exactly?

If I think the Mark I is worth $700 I will buy it at that rate. If not I'll _____ and moan that I don't have it but still not buy it.

If I decided screw it I'm buying it and HT releases another then it proves that my desire for the figure was fickle because suddenly I'm crying over paying too much. How is that HT's or any other company's fault? If I paid $400 for an iPhone and Apple knocks down the price by $300 then I still have an iPhone and isn't THAT what really matter in the situation? If not and I wanted it but at a cheaper price then I was a fool to begin with for paying so much for something I didn't think was worth it and a fool and their money are soon parted.

Buy what you like for the price you think it's worth, ____ all the rest. I don't see the issue.

Well they should stop calling them "limited collectibles" for starters. It's about the exclusivity, not only the money. When you pay $250 for a "collectible", you want it to be worth that. If there's always a rehash, your $250 collectible isn't worth sh it anymore since people know another one is coming out. I do agree on the opinion of "collect what you like and what you really want" though. If you read other message boards and not only here, you will notice that HT collectors have been dropping like flies since a) price increases and b) rehashes. People are starting to lose faith in HT.

It is limited. If they made 5000 of the first Predator figure, then there is only that many. They'll be 5000 of the update. Still limited. It isn't like you can go back and get an Aliens Marine from HT directly today. I never really understood the whole collectible = secondary market worth. As long as the HT figure is worth what the MSRP was (HT has rarely ever dropped below MSRP) then it still maintains it's value.

Maybe I'm not looking at this through the same lenses but I always looked it as if I bought Patient Zero for $60 and it's still worth $60 then there isn't an issue. If I bought it for $300 (which I did) and it drops to only being worth $150 it's still higher than the $60. It's not the company's fault I paid more and it isn't worth more than the original cost. I doesn't make me like the figure any less. :dunno

It is limited. If they made 5000 of the first Predator figure, then there is only that many. They'll be 5000 of the update. Still limited. It isn't like you can go back and get an Aliens Marine from HT directly today. I never really understood the whole collectible = secondary market worth. As long as the HT figure is worth what the MSRP was (HT has rarely ever dropped below MSRP) then it still maintains it's value.

Maybe I'm not looking at this through the same lenses but I always looked it as if I bought Patient Zero for $60 and it's still worth $60 then there isn't an issue. If I bought it for $300 (which I did) and it drops to only being worth $150 it's still higher than the $60. It's not the company's fault I paid more and it isn't worth more than the original cost. I doesn't make me like the figure any less. :dunno

The sales thread on this site is chalk full of HT that nobody's buying and eventually sell at lower than MSRP. I know, I've sold plenty when I got bored of them.

You'd probably like the figure a little less, if they made a better version of it for half the price :wink1:

This site is a horrible gauge of value. Everyone here (myself included) is looking for a deal. I've sold a ton of stuff here lower than MRSP from Sideshow because I didn't want to deal with eBay but the amount of "offers" I received way lower than even MSRP was shocking.

You'd probably like the figure a little less, if they made a better version of it for half the price :wink1:

I have the Mark II. There is a better version coming out for slightly less than I paid. I could give a ____ that the new one is better. I have the original Superman, a better one came out less than a year. I bought that, I don't like either one better than the other. I have the original OC TDK Bats. The new one is out and better, I don't want or need that because I have it.

What was your point again?

These Are limited. They're not exactly mass produced like 4 inch, figures. The you guys... I lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

You do realize that your response just furthers my point right?
You're a funny guy, but I think I can do better...just wait :wink1:

If I wanted the iPhone and felt it was worth the $400 then that is ultimately the point.
...I guess you liked getting ripped off. Whether you like it or not, the value of something does change in the real world of supply and demand. it's not to say collectors are being fickle-(though sometimes they are), it's actually the supply of the product that is fickle thereby changing it's worth or value in monetary terms. If you like to pay higher prices for less-enhanced versions of a product, knowing that there are better and more versions out there for cheaper, then go for it. I just don't like getting ripped off and would much rather pay a lower price for something better. but hey, that's just me. To each his own. :dunno

... If money is tight for you then don't go off spending hundreds of dollars getting a figure you missed out the first time on...You ARE given the choice, either buy the old one at eBay prices or wait to see if they rerelease or update the figure. If they don't you obviously didn't want it enough because you would have just bought it or saved for it in the first place...
but what if we really, really, really, really, really, love the figure and want and are willing to save up our hard-earned cash to buy it because we think that it will never be re-released again? What then?? Should we just deprive ourselves of the joy of owning the figure, and later regret that we didn't get it sooner because it jumped even higher in price to the point where it is now impossible for us to ever afford? If you say yes, then we simply disagree on this point.

... Just buy what you like and what you feel is worth the price paid...
It's not that simple. What we feel something is worth-in terms if market value- changes more with supply and demand and less with how fickle someone's personalilty is. And if hot toys keeps shifting supply, the demand, and therefore market worth of a figure will ultimately change. It's not me being fickle about what the "worth" of the figure is, instead it's hot toys being fickle with the supply that's causing the market worth of the figure to change. Now keep in mind, I'm not talking about sentimental worth (which doesn't change), I'm referring to market value/worth(which does change based on the market).

Now Mike, if you reply, you know that you are simply not only proving and agreeing to all the points that I've just laid out, but also you will be revealing that you have no point and focus to your argument and that you like getting ripped off. You do realize this don't you? :wink1:

Last edited:
I have the Mark II. There is a better version coming out for slightly less than I paid. I could give a ____ that the new one is better. I have the original Superman, a better one came out less than a year. I bought that, I don't like either one better than the other. I have the original OC TDK Bats. The new one is out and better, I don't want or need that because I have it.

What was your point again?

The point is, that some people don't like it when companies re-release old figures because they feel ripped-off in a way. You may not give a ___, but others do. that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
These Are limited. They're not exactly mass produced like 4 inch, figures. The you guys... I lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

They are mass produced. They make as many as are preordered plus a certain percentage above that. There's no "limited" amount to start with like what SS does with their statues (ie; xx/500 or xx/1000). To me that's pretty much mass produced.

Sent from work using my computer

Whether you like it or not, the value of something does change in the real world of supply and demand.

Obviously when the supply dries up but the demand is there the price rises, then it is the consumers choice on whether or not the piece in question is to the value of the rising price, as the demand is met whether by new product or the issuing of the old product in greater number, the exaggerated price of the item deflates to more regulated levels, it is the consumer who makes the decision whether or not to have it now and pay the higher pricetag due the fault of demand or to wait out for either a re-issue of the product or to produce an updated product and keep the buying price low. All of this rests on the decision making skills and the perceived value of the customer, I fail to see where your attempt to enter into an economics debate proves your original statement or bears any responsibility of the functionality of the market on said collectible on the company issuing it themselves.

If you like to keep paying higher prices for less-enhanced versions of a product, knowing that there are better and more versions out there for cheaper, then go for it.

Then your entire thread is a moot point. You simply asked the question on whether or not it is a good thing, by argument of your own you are now stating that it is because there as you put it cheaper and better versions on the way, I also agree with that idea with the thought that if you collect what you like then your perceived value of the item doesn't change because something new comes out. You are arguing semantics at this point and even moving to examples outside of the toy world to prove a point that doesn't exist.

I just don't like getting ripped off and would much rather pay a lower price for something. but hey, that's just me. To each his own.

Ripped off is subjective, relative to the way the consumer feels about the product unless the product itself is non-functional. If the piece works as advertised than the thought of getting "ripped off" is conditional to a person to person change in thought, it's a moot point.

but what if we really, really, really, really, really, love the figure and want and are willing to save up our hard-earned cash to buy it because we think that it will never be re-released again? What then?? Should we just deprive ourselves of the joy of owning the figure, and later regret that we didn't get it sooner because it jumped even higher in price to the point where it is now impossible for us to ever afford? If you say yes, then we simply disagree on this point.

Ironically you are arguing against yourself here. If you really x5 want the figure and save up for it thinking it won't be reissued again and in that timespan it isn't then buy it, you accomplilshed your task of owning a figure that you love. There is no depriving yourself of anything. :lol

There also shouldn't be regret if you saved for 5 years to buy a figure only in year 6 to see it reissued and now you're pissy because it's a 1/3 of the cost. You essentially made your "quest" for the figure null and void and showed that you care more about quantity over this figure that you really x5 wanted. If it's impossible to afford based on your judgment then you'll never have it, plain and simple. If you really want it you'll find a way.

It's not that simple.

It is.

What we feel something is worth - in terms if market value- changes more with supply and demand and less with how fickle someone's personalilty is.

It doesn't. If the new 1:4 HT figure is $500 and they make 5000 or 500000 it doesn't change whether or not I think the product is worth the price on it. If that figure jumps to $2000, I make another judgment as does all of the buying society.

And if hot toys keeps shifting supply, the demand, and therefore market worth of a figure will ultimately change. It's not me being fickle about what the "worth" of the figure is, instead it's hot toys being fickle with the supply that's causing the market worth of the figure to change. Now keep in mind, I'm not talking about sentimental worth (which doesn't change), I'm referring to market value/worth(which does change based on the market).

Supply and Demand affect cost but not consumer judgment on the value of said piece. It's a personal decision based on a collector and their wallet, any other "factors" is just justifications one way or another on whether someone will get it or not.

The point is, that some people don't like it when companies re-release old figures because they feel ripped-off in a way. You may not give a ___, but others do. that's all I'm saying.

Right. Your quote was this:

You'd probably like the figure a little less, if they made a better version of it for half the price

I responded that I wouldn't. That isn't me liking to get ripped off (although if it helps you continue with your day feel free to think so) it's me saying that MY perceived value of a figure isn't based on what is new and flashy. It is based on whether I think the piece is simply to my liking and suitable to replace my current one or stop my quest for an older one. On your logic people wouldn't like classic cars from the 50s because there is a better version of it available for half the price in 2011 currency. It's a foundationless argument because what I perceive is valued and what you do differ (obviously) yet you chose to quote my original input into this discussion and engage so I'm responding.

If a very old release like the HT MMS-06 (Rambo 2) and HT MMS-07 (Trautman) gets released with much-improved muscle bodies and updated sculpts, I'm all for relaunching. :clap

No if the figure was just released a year ago, and only minor updates were made. :slap

Obviously when the supply dries up but the demand is there the price rises, then it is the consumers choice on whether or not the piece in question is to the value of the rising price, as the demand is met whether by new product or the issuing of the old product in greater number, the exaggerated price of the item deflates to more regulated levels, it is the consumer who makes the decision whether or not to have it now and pay the higher pricetag due the fault of demand or to wait out for either a re-issue of the product or to produce an updated product and keep the buying price low. All of this rests on the decision making skills and the perceived value of the customer, I fail to see where your attempt to enter into an economics debate proves your original statement or bears any responsibility of the functionality of the market on said collectible on the company issuing it themselves.

Then your entire thread is a moot point. You simply asked the question on whether or not it is a good thing, by argument of your own you are now stating that it is because there as you put it cheaper and better versions on the way, I also agree with that idea with the thought that if you collect what you like then your perceived value of the item doesn't change because something new comes out. You are arguing semantics at this point and even moving to examples outside of the toy world to prove a point that doesn't exist.

Ripped off is subjective, relative to the way the consumer feels about the product unless the product itself is non-functional. If the piece works as advertised than the thought of getting "ripped off" is conditional to a person to person change in thought, it's a moot point.

Ironically you are arguing against yourself here. If you really x5 want the figure and save up for it thinking it won't be reissued again and in that timespan it isn't then buy it, you accomplilshed your task of owning a figure that you love. There is no depriving yourself of anything. :lol

There also shouldn't be regret if you saved for 5 years to buy a figure only in year 6 to see it reissued and now you're pissy because it's a 1/3 of the cost. You essentially made your "quest" for the figure null and void and showed that you care more about quantity over this figure that you really x5 wanted. If it's impossible to afford based on your judgment then you'll never have it, plain and simple. If you really want it you'll find a way.

It is.

It doesn't. If the new 1:4 HT figure is $500 and they make 5000 or 500000 it doesn't change whether or not I think the product is worth the price on it. If that figure jumps to $2000, I make another judgment as does all of the buying society.

Supply and Demand affect cost but not consumer judgment on the value of said piece. It's a personal decision based on a collector and their wallet, any other "factors" is just justifications one way or another on whether someone will get it or not.

Right. Your quote was this:

I responded that I wouldn't. That isn't me liking to get ripped off (although if it helps you continue with your day feel free to think so) it's me saying that MY perceived value of a figure isn't based on what is new and flashy. It is based on whether I think the piece is simply to my liking and suitable to replace my current one or stop my quest for an older one. On your logic people wouldn't like classic cars from the 50s because there is a better version of it available for half the price in 2011 currency. It's a foundationless argument because what I perceive is valued and what you do differ (obviously) yet you chose to quote my original input into this discussion and engage so I'm responding.

Mike, I just wanted to stimulate good discussion. Thanks for participating. We may differ on a lot of points, but I share your passion. I just hear too many people bashing others for collecting for what they percieve as "the wrong reasons". There is no right or wrong way to collect. I think you feel that the value of a figure shouldn't be based on supply and demand, but the sentimental value that one holds towards a particular collectible. Others feel it's fun to collect based on how rare or valualbe the item is. While others collect for both rarity and asthetics. The people who are upset about companies re-releasing figures maybe collect on the basis of value. Nothing wrong with that and we shouldn't judge others because they choose to collect that way. You collect on the merits of sentiment-or how you yourself value the item regardless of what market conditions dictate. Good for you. I'm not bashing you for collecting that way. I just hope that we don't judge others based on how we collect things. To each his own. :duff Can we be friends again? :1-1: (And please don't say we never were, cause that would just hurt=) :wink1:

Last edited:
If a very old release like the HT MMS-06 (Rambo 2) and HT MMS-07 (Trautman) gets released with much-improved muscle bodies and updated sculpts, I'm all for relaunching. :clap

No if the figure was just released a year ago, and only minor updates were made. :slap

:goodpost: I agree. It would be cool if they re-did the AVP predators like Scar, Celtic, etc...

To each his own. :duff Can we be friends again? :1-1: (And please don't say we never were, cause that would just hurt=) :wink1:

tumblr_ljvxo9eE0o1qigqmwo1_500.jpg

They are mass produced. They make as many as are preordered plus a certain percentage above that. There's no "limited" amount to start with like what SS does with their statues (ie; xx/500 or xx/1000). To me that's pretty much mass produced.

Sent from work using my computer

They're not. They're limited.

there should be another thread discussing price fluctuation, it will be very fun there, and people can like pour their dissapointment regarding HT price..

in china there is a shopping mall where woman can smash everything inside to relax themselves..

recently the price factor has affected many collectors..

btw, i too feel and think the same way with work13..

to put it simply now, which one would you choose? if you can choose that is... unfortunately we can't.. so we just have to deal with it and not think about the price as a collector.. scratch that, collector with unlimited fund... :slap LOL

for example.. do u know how much oil changing service in a ferrari cost? well its around 15,000 dollars... but is the ferrari owner going to complain about it or even talk about it? :)
i know this because my friend collect HotCars not HotToys..

btw answer honesty please, which one would you choose?

to collect something that you really like, at the end of the day, when you decide to sell it for various reasons, the price goes up..

or

to collect something that you really like, at the end of the day, when you decide to sell it for various reasons, it goes to the rubbish bin (a bit exaggerating here, but u get my point)

btw answer honesty please, which one would you choose?

to collect something that you really like, at the end of the day, when you decide to sell it for various reasons, the price goes up..

or

to collect something that you really like, at the end of the day, when you decide to sell it for various reasons, it goes to the rubbish bin (a bit exaggerating here, but u get my point)

at the beginning of the day, I know that my stuff will explode in value to worth 100+ times what I pay for so at the end of the day I am all set to rake it in. :) no, seriously, all my junk shot up in price as soon as I get them, its unavoidable, like law of nature. :lol

Back