When toy companies re-release old figures: a good thing or bad thing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like it when toy companies re-release figures?

• I like it when companies re-release old figures

Votes: 55 64.7%
  • It bothers me a little bit when companies re-release old figures

Votes: 30 35.3%

• Total voters

work13

Super Freak
Reaction score
Recently, with all the buzz of the Hot Toys reissue of the Mark I, some people were happy about it, while others were a little upset. Now certain figure re-releases made sense because old characters re-appeared in new movies - Such as the Ironman Mark II's recent appearance in the most recent Ironman II movie followed by Hot Toys, re-release of the Mark II with Don Cheadle's head sculpt -(Technically it wasn't a true reissue of an old figure because the original Ironman Mark II had Tony Starks head, but I digress).But how about when Toy Companies simply reissue figures with no other reason but to make improvements to an old figure and milk it for profit(such as the Hot Toys Ironman Mark I reissue)? Good or bad thing for collectors?

If you don't already have the figure and they make improvements then I would say it's worth it. I still want Hot Toys to redo the Marines from Aliens.

If theres enough scope for improvement and its worthwhile buying another one for the sake of that then I'm for it. If there isn't much of a need to improve then I'd prefer a straight rerelease, if anything at all. I don't want to end up owning the slightly inferior version when I financially can't justify buying something for only a minor improvement.

Like the Tumbler - I really hope if its put out again that its a straight rerelease. No added features that the first version didn't have. I don't need to buy that but newbies get to have it. The only drawback for me is mine depreciates in value, which only matters if I want to sell.

Last edited:
It only bothers me in the sense that it means I need to spend more money. BUT, if it's a figure I wanted like Hot Toys Black Widow that goes for too much now...I will be happy when they give me another BW from Avengers, since I missed the first one.

I have no problems with re-releases. HT hasn't done a true re-release where it's the exact figure as before (the only exception being IM MkIV with gantry. But that's only available with the gantry, isn't it?), only re-visits, which means improvements on the old figure, and most likely a full re-do of it. And so far we haven't seen any of the old original figures drop in price below retail after the re-issue came out, if the value of the figure is important to you (correct me if I'm wrong).

Ultimately it gives collectors who missed out the first time a chance to get the figure again. And it gives collectors who did get it the first time the option to upgrade if they wanted to.

I guess that depends on what you collect stuff for? profits on resale or pure self enjoyment? I guess people who only collect stuff for profit down the line are gonna scream outta their lungs that toy makers are profit greedy bastards and the people who collect for enjoyment probably gonna be happy that toy maker re-release a figure thats been outta reach because of jacked up prices.

If theres enough scope for improvement and its worthwhile buying another one for the sake of that then I'm for it. If there isn't much of a need to improve then I'd prefer a straight rerelease, if anything at all. I don't want to end up owning the slightly inferior version when I financially can't justify buying something for only a minor improvement.

Like the Tumbler - I really hope if its put out again that its a straight rerelease. No added features that the first version didn't have.

If you don't already have the figure and they make improvements then I would say it's worth it. I still want Hot Toys to redo the Marines from Aliens.

I see your points, but say you already have the figures/vehicles? Is it fair that you did your do diligence to get in early and appreciate these figures before everyone else while others who may have come late, are rewarded with being tarty to the game? Now the stragglers are getting a 2nd chance with a better new and improved figure(while at the same time reducing the rarity and value of your old figure)? As a collector I'm a little mixed. On the one hand, it's cool that others who came late to the game are given a 2nd chance, but at the same time companies that do this are in a strange way punishing the original die-hard collector fans who got in since the beginning. IMO, part of the fun and added bonus of collecting also comes when you see some of your figures appreciating in value as they hopefully become more and more rare with time.

Last edited:
if it looks better than the last version, im all for it.

I hear ya. But here's the problem: Now that Companies like hot toys are starting to do "re-visits" to some of their older figures, It might be wise to just skip the brand new release of a particular figure and wait for the eventual re-do of it.

Depends.

I would like to see a whole new redone version of the item instead of a rehash of a previous product.

There should be a "I don't give a ____" voting category.

Companies do it all the time. Medicom released the same damn Rocketeer three times, no one said ____. It's because people decide one day that their "grail" figure is worth $700 and then when they see a re-release all of a sudden take it back and get pissy. Buy what you like. If it was worth $700 to you yesterday, then it doesn't suddenly stop today because HT is turning a profit. Back to pancakes.

james+franco+spideman+3.gif

I see your points, but say you already have the figures/vehicles? Is it fair that you did your do diligence to get in early and appreciate these figures before everyone else while others who may have come late, are rewarded with being tarty to the game? Now the stragglers are getting a 2nd chance with a better new and improved figure(while at the same time reducing the rarity and value of your old figure)? As a collector I'm a little mixed. On the one hand, it's cool that others who came late to the game are given a 2nd chance, but at the same time companies that do this are in a strange way punishing the original die-hard collector fans who got in since the beginning. IMO, part of the fun and added bonus of collecting also comes when you see some of your figures appreciating in value as they hopefully become more and more rare with time.

I would agree if the price ever dropped below retail, but that doesn't seem to happen with Hot Toys. I think the lowest they ever get is right around retail, but mostly appreciate in value if even just a few bucks.

The only time I have ever seen Hot Toys below retail is the 10% pre-order price before the figure is released, or a massive sale at GoHastings. And even when those sales are actively happening, people on ebay are still charging huge mark-ups.

It only bothers me in the sense that it means I need to spend more money. BUT, if it's a figure I wanted like Hot Toys Black Widow that goes for too much now...I will be happy when they give me another BW from Avengers, since I missed the first one.

I think the problem lies here with a lot of people on the anti re-release committee in general. The feeling of needing to upgrade/update personal collections when it's just a mere option and an opportunity for new collectors to pick up stuff.

I just purchased a video card for $350. I know new video cards will come every single year, spring specifically. There shouldn't be a need to keep upgrading unless the item is very out of date for this purpose.

But in the case of collecting figures and statues, is there really a need to feel like upgrading to newer stuff if it's not leaps and bounds in design and function? If people enjoyed the sense of fulfillment by having something when they got it, it's enough isn't it? Re-releases should not take that away, and I don't believe people should feel that way in general. Yet a lot of people here seem adamant about it for some reason.

Elitism much?

There should be a "I don't give a ____" voting category.

Companies do it all the time. Medicom released the same damn Rocketeer three times, no one said ____. It's because people decide one day that their "grail" figure is worth $700 and then when they see a re-release all of a sudden take it back and get pissy. Buy what you like. If it was worth $700 to you yesterday, then it doesn't suddenly stop today because HT is turning a profit. Back to pancakes.

james+franco+spideman+3.gif

Actually the market decides what it's worth, not the person owning the figure. Now when it comes to getting "pissy", well maybe...it depends on how much I spent on the figure. If I bought the figure for $130, and it shoots up to $700, only to go down to say maybe 200 with a re-release, -yes I'd be a little disappointed but still happy because I bought the figure at $130. But, if I bought the figure for $700, only to discover that they re-released it and made it even better for 1/3 the price, then yes, I'd probably be a little "pissy." It's almost like paying 400 for an iphone, and then discovering the next day that apple just re-released a newer better version for 300. You just feel a little short changed sometimes, that's all. Now don't get me wrong, it's not about collecting only for pure profit or percieved value with me- as I do also collect for pure asethetic enjoyment of the figure- it's just nice to have both is all I'm saying.

Last edited:
You feel shortchanged by what exactly?

If I think the Mark I is worth $700 I will buy it at that rate. If not I'll _____ and moan that I don't have it but still not buy it.

If I decided screw it I'm buying it and HT releases another then it proves that my desire for the figure was fickle because suddenly I'm crying over paying too much. How is that HT's or any other company's fault? If I paid $400 for an iPhone and Apple knocks down the price by $300 then I still have an iPhone and isn't THAT what really matter in the situation? If not and I wanted it but at a cheaper price then I was a fool to begin with for paying so much for something I didn't think was worth it and a fool and their money are soon parted.

Buy what you like for the price you think it's worth, ____ all the rest. I don't see the issue.

If I think the Mark I is worth $700 I will buy it at that rate. If not I'll _____ and moan that I don't have it but still not buy it.

If I decided screw it I'm buying it and HT releases another then it proves that my desire for the figure was fickle because suddenly I'm crying over paying too much. How is that HT's or any other company's fault? If I paid $400 for an iPhone and Apple knocks down the price by $300 then I still have an iPhone and isn't THAT what really matter in the situation? If not and I wanted it but at a cheaper price then I was a fool to begin with for paying so much for something I didn't think was worth it and a fool and their money are soon parted.

Buy what you like for the price you think it's worth, ____ all the rest. I don't see the issue.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

:clap:clap:clap

bro, if you can honestly say that you'd be just as happy buying an Iphone for 400, when the next day, you found out that it could have been bought for 300 with more features, then dammit- you da man! I think most people would feel a little jipped. It has nothing to do with the fickleness of liking the product, it's about getting the right price for it. Now if money is no object for you, then sure, pay the 400 and be just as happy as the next person who payed 300 for something better. I'm a little tight because money doen't come around very easily to me, - so please excuse me for being a little sad and upset if I payed more for something not knowing that I could have gotten something better for a lot less.

Last edited:
tumblr_lghq5dWkFC1qcfba3o1_500.gif

You do realize that your response just furthers my point right?

bro, if you can honestly say that you'd be just as happy buying an Iphone for 400, when the next day, you found out that it could have been bought for 300 with more features, then dammit- you da man!

If I wanted the iPhone and felt it was worth the $400 then that is ultimately the point. HT doesn't release things one day and then the next. The Mark I for example was orderable in 2008, released in 2009. The next Mark I if even orderable this year will be in 2011 and not released in 2012 that is three years in between. Not sure what the point is there.

I think most people would feel a little jipped. It has nothing to do with the fickleness of liking the product, it's about getting the right price for it. Now if money is no object for you, then sure, pay the 400 and be just as happy as the next person who payed 300. I'm a little tight, so money isn't that easy to come-by for me. - so I'd be happy paying 300 instead of 400 if given the choice.

So. Then. Don't. Buy. It.

What part of that is difficult to understand? If money is tight for you then don't go off spending hundreds of dollars getting a figure you missed out the first time on. If you do then you have no room to _____ if HT releases the same figure only updated. Money is tight right? So you shouldn't have done that (buying the older figure) in the first place. You ARE given the choice, either buy the old one at eBay prices or wait to see if they rerelease or update the figure. If they don't you obviously didn't want it enough because you would have just bought it or saved for it in the first place.

This isn't Pokemon, you don't HAVE to catch them all. Just buy what you like and what you feel is worth the price paid.

Back