when company comes over.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look at my wife and say: "I always thought your husband was a little eccentric." Then they leave and talk about how weird and or nerdy it all is. Then they scratch their heads in bewilderment wondering how I ended up marrying the prom queen. Nerds win in the end.:naughty

I get this.... and your a Software Engineer whenever I tell ppl what I do at the gym!!!

The inner nerd is the best, especially when you whip a SMACK down of knowledge on some folks... :emperor

To be honest, I don't like having friends look at my collection. They sort of awe a little, but it feels like its more like they get laugh at my expense. I remember the first time showing a buddy made me wan't to quit collecting cause, other peoples reaction made me sort of feel like a freak for being into this.
But I guess having a room full of heads can seem kind of weird to those who don't understand collecting :)

Also the money involved, try and tell somebody that your Hot Toys Predator cost $170 and look at their reaction. Especially girls.

Whenever they think it's silly I just say these pieces here all together are worth more than your car :lol

I hate company coming over. Always touching Emma Frost's boobs wondering if they're soft! If I had a dime for everytime she get molested...

but I like touching her Jinxx, do you not remember the one drunken slumber we had not too long ago :naughty

I think it all depends on the person... everyone is different. Some people don't understand and some do.
nah, girls all pretty much react the same to a figure/statue collection.
all you can do is bring up their shoe/jewelry collection and throw it back in their face.

My Master Replicas Millenium Falcon commands the most attention by far, people barely even notice anything else.

The reaction to my collection has been mostly positive, and I've been surprised that it has been mostly from my wife's girlfriends. I believe having a nice display done with care adds to their acceptance.

when did sideshow come up ???does sideshow have adds in the television??

My girlfriend moved into my apt a month ago, and she invited her entire extended family in the area over for a house warming. They were all actually really impressed with it. Everyone always loves the Captain America shield replica and one of her uncles loved all my Hot Toy Iron Mans.

My mother and sister try their damnedest to make me feel like crap about it. Telling me I've wasted my money. The HATED my Galactus LSB and ANY of the lady statues I have. Of course like all, my mom loved my cap shield. God people love that thing.

The reaction to my collection has been mostly positive, and I've been surprised that it has been mostly from my wife's girlfriends. I believe having a nice display done with care adds to their acceptance.

:lecture That is the absolute truth. I had to spend $600 on a display unit in order to make her happy. If they were haphazardly placed on a cheap bookshelf I would certainly get an earful.

Here is another tip: Ask their advice on how to arrange the statues. They love that.

Display is everything.... you could have a 1K+ statues. But if there sitting on the floor and scattered all over the place, that cheapens the whole experience.

Here is another tip: Ask their advice on how to arrange the statues. They love that.

QFT! :lecture Works every time; not that my wife is especially critical of my collection, but it does make her feel more involved, and actually like a participant as opposed to an outsider.

I had some family over the other day who had never seen my collection before, they were especially impressed with the MR Falcon, and the Arnie T-800 bust; none of them had seen LOTR. :sick

i agree, let them arrange/comment on it. And display is important, i upgraded mine recently and it really makes it all look much better.

My alien 1:1 scares little kids and gets most of the attention. Terminator 1:4 pf and 1:1 bust also get some.

My Favorite thing to do is not tell anyone and watch the look on there face and then invite them into the room, I don't have a Massive Collection Like some of my Boardies have but the feeling is good and they often go to the Ladies and X-Men

I bet the AH Ladies always get most of the attention in all collections. I don't have my ladies out but whenever they do get out, I bet ppl will :drool all over them, including my father in-law :lol

:lol:lol:lol:lolno man!!traditional greek foods!!!you don't know them???

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl so sorry man! :monkey4 i had no idea u were talking about food, hahahaha. we don't have many greek restaurants in my country (though spanish and mediterranean food is quite popular here), so i wouldn't be familiar with em. what exactly are they?

nah, girls all pretty much react the same to a figure/statue collection.
all you can do is bring up their shoe/jewelry collection and throw it back in their face.

yeah, i know what u mean. there was this girl i was recently dating for a while. she kept saying collectibles are cheap toys, useless childish things, and a huge waste of money. after a while it really pissed me off, so i stopped seeing her. even though she was kinda hot. lotsa other women out there. and there are some who CAN respect our hobby.

yeah tyler there are plenty of women out there. it's not so much she had that opinion of them but the fact she didn't see or care about the fact that it was something you enjoyed, that should have been enough for her to support or at least not insult your hobby. huge red flag that she was selfish.

I have my 1:1 Predator bust up on a high shelf and I tell my young cousins that she is asleep, so its safe to play, but they think its real and are very well behaved and quiet when near :)

People who see my collection often remark about my "dolls". This prompted me to give up most of my 1/6 collection and go back to statues, busts, etc. For some reason people seem to be okay with grown men collecting museum quality pieces, but not so much action figures. At least that's been my experience.

People who see my collection often remark about my "dolls". This prompted me to give up most of my 1/6 collection and go back to statues, busts, etc. For some reason people seem to be okay with grown men collecting museum quality pieces, but not so much action figures. At least that's been my experience.

Thats the same thing I get, but sometimes I get the response that a PF is a big doll.:lol

yeah tyler there are plenty of women out there. it's not so much she had that opinion of them but the fact she didn't see or care about the fact that it was something you enjoyed, that should have been enough for her to support or at least not insult your hobby. huge red flag that she was selfish.

well said, my friend. well said.

another thing i noticed is that HOW u display your collection is as important, if not more so, than what u display. if u spend some more money to create a very tasteful, classy display, i find that it elevates almost ANY piece, be it 1/6 "doll" or 1:1 replica, to an instant, museum-quality level in the eyes of the viewer. clean, simple, glass-fronted cabinets with soft lighting always gives it that showpiece feel, imo.

and it's a definite no-no to cram a whole bunch of collectibles onto one shelf space. that just screams "nerd" to your guests. to which i certainly agree. quality over quantity anytime...

Back