When are we likely to see a Yoda from Hot Toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first Rey is not a Mary Sue just because she is skilled and capable.

There are lots of inconsistencies in the film for sure, but everyone seems to forget that Kylo Ren was suffering from being shot by Chewie's bowcaster at the time of his fight with Fin and Rey; the fact he was still standing was amazing. As for Rey's abilities, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that she has had some training when she was a child and her memories have been suppressed. Ren's use of the force over memories in the story opens the door to discover Luke also can use the force on memories and I suspect he did so on Rey before she was hidden.

That is silly and of course she is a MARY SUE, her powers come all to quickly and easily, that is what MARY SUE stands for, look it up. Another silly point about this new movie is that a lightsaber can cut through layers of metal in a Star Destroyer (Grevious' ship comes to mind) but simply scratches flesh? I'm a big SW fan and the OT should have been the last of it. Star Wars has too many people involved now, It's bigger than it really is. When asked about the new movie Geaorge Lucas wouldn't answer but his face and look of disappointment said it all. His baby is someone else Bi*** now. Not to be a spoiler for the next movie but apparently Han Solo comes back with bionic legs, you didn't really see him die, he simply fell out of sight. Lando was waiting below to save him. Movie Magic.

That is silly and of course she is a MARY SUE, her powers come all to quickly and easily, that is what MARY SUE stands for, look it up. Another silly point about this new movie is that a lightsaber can cut through layers of metal in a Star Destroyer (Grevious' ship comes to mind) but simply scratches flesh? I'm a big SW fan and the OT should have been the last of it. Star Wars has too many people involved now, It's bigger than it really is. When asked about the new movie Geaorge Lucas wouldn't answer but his face and look of disappointment said it all. His baby is someone else Bi*** now. Not to be a spoiler for the next movie but apparently Han Solo comes back with bionic legs, you didn't really see him die, he simply fell out of sight. Lando was waiting below to save him. Movie Magic.

To be fair, quoting the prequels for anything is a recipe for disaster. Take that lighsaber cutting power example. In the classic movies, it's shown a few times that saber hits on metal will not always cut through it, look at the railings in the Cloud City duel or the Emperor's Throne Room duel. Sure, they eventually do get cut through, with a very powerful strike (IE : Vader's angry riposte after getting injured, and Luke's final blow against Vader's arm) but the rest of the time it just makes sparks, like it happened in TFA. The prequels making sabers able to melt through ten-inch metal doors is absurd and silly.

About Yoda, yes he had to fight the Emperor. But did he have to use a saber? No. In fact Yoda's philosophy relies on the fact that you don't need weapons to do the right thing, and I'm sure the duel would have been better with only force powers, like when he slams those two royal guards against the wall. That was the only good part. Sidious should not have used a saber either, especially considering how disdainful the Emperor was of sabers in general in ROTJ. It's clear Yoda and the Emperor, as masters of their sides, should have grown beyond the use of such a limited tool and only used powers. The sabers are for the grunts, like Luke and Vader, far below that level of mastery.

As for the whole Mary Sue argument, a Mary Sue is a character without flaws. I loved TFA and Rey's portrayal but she definitely had flaws, such as being stubborn to the point of getting in trouble by only following her own plan, getting very scared of getting involved in bigger events / getting away from Jakku, getting angry during the final duel.. she's a more nuanced character than she is given credit for by some people, but it is quite funny to see that most of the people who hate this movie are people who fervently defend the prequels, as if to say "LOOK! A new Star Wars movie! Go hate that one instead of hating my precious prequels!"

To each their own, but I'm sure the new trilogy will be remembered for something more than ruining a legacy, the same cannot be said for the prequels.

I would say SDCC 2016 or close to it. There will be a lot new OT figures and maybe a few PT. Until there, it's all about TFA,CW,BvS and maybe Suicide Squad.

After HT's middling to "decent" likeness efforts on everyone so far (even Vader was touch and go for a long time) I'm not hugely excited by the idea of HT doing a Yoda.

Both SSC and Medicom missed the mark (SSC twice) so he's not an easy likeness to nail. I'm sure he'll look ultra-realistic and gorgeously painted, and the clothes will be awesome and he'll be packed with accessories, but you have to wonder how much it will actually look like Yoda. Squashed-head T2 Arnie and Teenager T2 Arnie might be good reference points - likeness there, but something... not quite right.:(

That said I would love it if they could nail him so we could have the first screen accurate 1/6 Yoda ever.

I disagree with pretty much everything you said, but to be honest, if you truly want to respect Yoda's legacy, then you should look at the prequels as the biggest offender. Having Yoda go from being a wise and pacifist teacher in ESB to being a bouncy ninja in AOTC and ROTS was uncalled for and silly. If you're really into Yoda's "message" from ESB, then you should unlearn what you have learned, starting with the fact that there are 6 Star Wars movies. There's only three, the prequels do not exist.

PS : I loved TFA, but I'll never stop seeing Star Wars as the classic trilogy. It's a fun continuation of a cherished story, but I doubt it will ever have the same impact on me.

:lol This was just one detail in a litany of WTF details that made the prequels a bad joke for me.

So you think the Grand Master of the Jedi Order shouldn't defend himself? The fast movement was to make up for his small stature. He is still a pacifist, but he was facing the Sith. In AOTC, two Jedi were about to die. It was his duty to protect them. And perhaps by ESB, he had come to regret blindly taking part in a fabricated civil war. It showed that even wise Master Yoda can have some character development. I liked it when watching I-VI in chronological order.

It wasn't just the unexpected ninja moves that were laughable, but his return to 'old man hobbling walking stick Yoda' immediately after the duel had ended. People have argued that this was consistent with his momentary harnessing of the Force, but in the theatre I was in it prompted an outburst of laughter.

I hear you Rennen, I respect your opinion. Thanks.

Talibane I agree not sure if Yoda would look good. These HT figures are very difficult to photograph. I recently brought out a few of my OT figures to pose in the cantina when my HT figures started to arrive. I shot a photo with Yoda in it. I know it's a little blurry but I blew it up to post here for any new member that has not seen the first Yoda by SideShow.

IMG_8083%20-%20Yoda.jpg

Someone mentioned a Yoda and Luke 2 pack was coming... three pages ago! anyone got any more info on this?

Okay, okay it was a silly question.

What the hell is a Mary Sue anyway?

May seem laughable to some of you but it didn't seem unreasonable to me. A simple parallel would be to look at athletes. How many times has a player with a sprained ankle been hobbling around the court/field but when the critical moment to make a play presented itself they managed to look completely healthy in the moment?

But hey I'm just a measly casual Star Wars fan. Probably the type of fan "real" fans roll their eyes at. I see nothing wrong with Yoda's character arc, his physical abilities, or whether or not these new Jedi are becoming Jedi too old or too quickly. These movies are meant to entertain above all else. I'll never understand why people get so offended when a movie/plot/character arc doesn't go their way. When something stops being fun for me I simply move on.

HT Dagobah Luke and Yoda would be pretty much all I want. I have SSC "young Yoda" cause ...Yoda, but seriously, would love to see HT nail him down.

It was a term given to describe a female character that is perfect in every way.

For men they are called Gary Stu or Marty Stu.

HT Dagobah Luke and Yoda would be pretty much all I want. I have SSC "young Yoda" cause ...Yoda, but seriously, would love to see HT nail him down.

No Yoda from HT is very disappointing from a fan point of view, and curious from a business point of view. If any SW character is likely to sell bucketloads, it'd have to be Vader first, Yoda second, surely?

Yoda would be cool, but he's notoriously difficult to get right. Not just the sculpt, but the colors too.

Always wondered why people make this comment. You CAN go from point A to B at a shorter distance than other routes - it's called short cuts or being reckless and going into danger zones that all others avoid.

Yoda would be cool, but he's notoriously difficult to get right. Not just the sculpt, but the colors too.

Always wondered why people make this comment. You CAN go from point A to B at a shorter distance than other routes - it's called short cuts or being reckless and going into danger zones that all others avoid.

"I took a shortcut and made it to New York in 350 miles" vs. "I took a shortcut and made it to New York in 4 1/2 hours."

That's an explanation that's been bandied about for years, but it doesn't really make any sense.:dunno

A Mary Sue or Gary Stu or Marty Stu is an idealized fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Rey was definitely A Mary Sue Character. Why they could not wait to have her develop her force abilities before facing Ren is beyond me. You know its gonna be a trilogy:slap

Back