Whats your vote on Sauron PF over spray?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you prefer on the PF Sauron?

• Light up base

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • No over spray at all

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • Fine as is

Votes: 34 32.1%

• Total voters

Atheris

Super Freak
Reaction score
Im pushing to have the over spray removed, would much prefer a light up base instead...or at the very least no over spray at all.

Make your vote.

Sideshow+Sauron.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
Personally I would prefer without. I think the professionally applied effect on it looks great, but I agree that it could come out looking like complete crap when mass produced. I would have no problem if it came out as good as the prototype. The worst thing is that you won't know until it's too late.

Unfortunately all this is probably moot as Sauron is most likely way too far into development for any changes to occur at this point.

I like it and say leave it as is. I wouldn't mind a light up effect if it did not change the price of things but I know it would so I'm good with how it looked at comic-con.

If it looks like the SDCC paint job then it's fine...If not then I'll make a decision whether or not to paint it myself or return it(unless SS gives me some rembursement...I'm not talking just 30 bucks credit for a future item either..).

I like it and say leave it as is. I wouldn't mind a light up effect if it did not change the price of things but I know it would so I'm good with how it looked at comic-con.

Part of me likes the idea of a light-up feature (as you said - if it didn't change the price), but I also look at this as a centerpiece that shouldn't have any gimmicks.

As it is I don't know if I will be getting this or not. I'm going to be cutting way back on collecting so it's gonna come down to price. I'm getting the Dark Rider already and if I have to choose one that's it.

Lets say this guy is over a grand and looks like the orange paint was applied by pre-schoolers hopped up on Mountain Dew. Can you imagine all the angry villagers parted with their hard earned money grabbing their torches & pitchforks and storming the Sideshow castle?

Oh come on!....am I the only one that thinks a light up base would look awesome on this and avoid a bunch of QC issues?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiQ72ys9wiM[/ame]

Chris

Not gonna argue with you there...It would look awesome but If this is an open edition I will probrably wait to see in hand pics of the paint job before ordering and pay for this in one shot(no flex pay)...but it's easier said than done with this statue LOTR addiction/affliction...LOL...In my mind I know pretty much how I would repaint this piece if it comes to that point

Last edited:
I don't like forced lighting effects on statues. If I want the orange glow, I can do it myself with actual light. That being said, the prototype looks pretty good.

I gotta admit the Avatar LSF is amazing with the nice light up base

Part of me likes the idea of a light-up feature (as you said - if it didn't change the price), but I also look at this as a centerpiece that shouldn't have any gimmicks.

As it is I don't know if I will be getting this or not. I'm going to be cutting way back on collecting so it's gonna come down to price. I'm getting the Dark Rider already and if I have to choose one that's it.

Lets say this guy is over a grand and looks like the orange paint was applied by pre-schoolers hopped up on Mountain Dew. Can you imagine all the angry villagers parted with their hard earned money grabbing their torches & pitchforks and storming the Sideshow castle?

It is a centerpiece for sure and so you've got to be careful with either option IMO.

I understand. I've cut a bunch of SW an HT Marvel figures out and am focuing on the thing that means the most to me which is Middle-earth.

People will be hot and they'd have every right to be.

I don't like forced lighting effects on statues. If I want the orange glow, I can do it myself with actual light. That being said, the prototype looks pretty good.

i agree. that should be a display effect.
was that a paint app for those of you that saw it at SDCC?!

You see this alot with painted miniatures and models -like stuff from Warhammer and 40K - fake lighting effects. Generally, they only look good from one angle and you lose alot of the effect when they figure is seen from anything but that one good angle. So much of it's perspective, that it really hinders the piece more than it helps.

Personally, I vote for no light-up base, as I'm not really a fan of them. And definitely no fake lighting paint job.

And there's the rub. SS has to only get people to buy the thing, who cares if the lighting stinks later on. Personally I like the paint. I can also see the factory butchering this. Do we have any examples of released figs where this has turned out? I know the mythos Darth Vader will have the same sort of effect but I don't know of any examples off the top of my head where SS has released a similar paint application.

By the way, I agree on the Capt Morgan leg thing.

I wouldn't mind a light up base, but feel it's unnecessary. I do utterly mind paint that attempts to simulate reflected light. It never works, nor will it ever.

There are issues with the preview of Sauron. It doesn't show it in natural lighting. Look how great the pics were with Ultron and look at the end result? That resulting in ssc adding additional pics to the webpage after the statue had shipped. I bet that "fine as is" will change drastically if people actually saw it in person.

Hey Chris, this poll would work with multiple options, bro. I would like to vote for lose the overspray AND add light up base. For fear that they may add the light up but still maintain the overspray. Who knows?! :D

I admit it does look like someone rubbed the base after eating doritos. I personally wouldn't mind a light up base.

I wouldn't mind a light up base, but feel it's unnecessary. I do utterly mind paint that attempts to simulate reflected light. It never works, nor will it ever.

Yes I agree it never looks good. I also hate sculpted flames.

I like the Darth Vader overspray but it does seem a little misplaced on Sauron. Along with the ultra clean armour and awkward leg, I have zero interest in this.

Back