Whats your vote on Sauron PF over spray?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you prefer on the PF Sauron?

• Light up base

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • No over spray at all

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • Fine as is

Votes: 34 32.1%

• Total voters
There are issues with the preview of Sauron. It doesn't show it in natural lighting. Look how great the pics were with Ultron and look at the end result? That resulting in ssc adding additional pics to the webpage after the statue had shipped. I bet that "fine as is" will change drastically if people actually saw it in person.

That's pretty much my fear. Even if it is applied properly, the orange colour in a brightly lit room will just look like someone took a spray can to it and gave it a two tone color scheme.

The other part that bugs me is that the art work this statue is based off of doesn't nearly have the amount of orange shown spatterd on this statue. It's total overkill.

sauron_hi_res.jpg
300124_SauronPF_1813.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
So far none of the SS statues came out exactly how they look in the SDCC, not even $1600 Neytiri. So the light up base is the only way to go to avoid the QC issues. And I would like to have option to display it flat black or with glow effect from the LED light.

But if it's too late to add light up base feature, I'd prefer no over spray at all.

Isn't the proto already the final look of this piece?

I mean, are we to expect that they will produce this without the over spray lighting effect at this point?

There are issues with the preview of Sauron. It doesn't show it in natural lighting. Look how great the pics were with Ultron and look at the end result? That resulting in ssc adding additional pics to the webpage after the statue had shipped. I bet that "fine as is" will change drastically if people actually saw it in person.

I've seen it in person and if its in the same zip code as comic-con we'll be just fine.

Took this from frobay at SF.

The subtleness of the paint applied to the statue looks "ok" if it comes like that. As I said though...I have my doubts.

The base though (particularly the front) looks like a hot mess. Theirs orange everywhere. It doesn't even remotely resemble lava or fire glow to me personally.

SAURON-1.jpg

To me he looks like he's standing on a brick of cheddar cheese.

If they really want to follow the art work and have it glow, then a light up base is the only way to accomplish that properly. They could even keep the painted glow on his legs and other parts, a light up orange base may even enhance the painted glow effect.

Chris

Last edited:
This like the Vader statue looked amazing in person. IMO the effect was pulled off quite nicely. Now, I do expect some differences in production vs what I saw at comic-con but I do expect them to both be pretty similar.

I posted this at the other Sauron thread....,

Sorry.. Not liking the orange tint on the armour. If there is a orange tint, it should be the reflection of LIGHT to the armour not a gimmick painted application to try to mimic light. I see another Ultron fiasco again.

easy repaint ....for me anyway...Only I will make the determination( at least for my own piece) to do it once in hand...his armour is easily painted...once he's done I would have a light shining at his feet to see how the base reflects off his metal then move on from there to see if any further improvement is needed

easy repaint ....for me anyway...Only I will make the determination( at least for my own piece) to do it once in hand...his armour is easily painted...once he's done I would have a light shining at his feet to see how the base reflects off his metal then move on from there to see if any further improvement is needed

I assume this is going to cost $800-$1k. We shouldn't have to spent more money to fix something that could easily be avoidable by SSC.

Just imagine if ssc did this gimmick paint application on the Iron Man / war machine statues? There would be an up roar.

Last edited:
They did it on Vader and it looked just fine as with this. I really think people who haven't seen this in person are making a bigger issue out of this.

I assume this is going to cost $800-$1k. We shouldn't have to spent more money to fix something that could easily be avoidable by SSC.

True but like many things in life...What can I going to do about it?..either buy it and be happy...buy it and not be happy...not buy it and be happy....not buy it and not be happy...pick one....make a decision...I wish gas was 35 cents a gallon like when I was kid...Some things you just cant fight...dont get me wrong I am picky about some things but at my age it's just not worth it...This is a nice piece I dont care how you look at it...it's the price that will keep folks away...if it is only paint application that keeps one away then that is real picky in my book for this truly majestic piece....Do we prefer things our way or even better...sure...but that's life...sometimes we dont get things our way...If I owned sideshow hey that's one thing...but I dont...unless something is broken I dont usually make a stink..it is a bonus that I can paint, and build things etc...sooner or later we gotta make a decision about this piece...every day that passes by makes me want it more so I guess you know my decision...remember it's from sideshow...you can always return it for a full refund...that is the worst thing that can happen along with some dissapointment I guess...

Sorry.... The Vader Mytho statue color choice is bad also. He should had been all black.

Don't know what to tell ya. Don't buy them then. They aren't going to change and since you don't like them that way you either accept it or pass.

True but like many things in life...What can I going to do about it?..either buy it and be happy...buy it and not be happy...not buy it and be happy....not buy it and not be happy...pick one....make a decision...I wish gas was 35 cents a gallon like when I was kid...Some things you just cant fight...dont get me wrong I am picky about some things but at my age it's just not worth it...This is a nice piece I dont care how you look at it...it's the price that will keep folks away...if it is only paint application that keeps one away then that is real picky in my book for this truly majestic piece....Do we prefer things our way or even better...sure...but that's life...sometimes we dont get things our way...If I owned sideshow hey that's one thing...but I dont...unless something is broken I dont usually make a stink..it is a bonus that I can paint, and build things etc...sooner or later we gotta make a decision about this piece...every day that passes by makes me want it more so I guess you know my decision...remember it's from sideshow...you can always return it for a full refund...that is the worst thing that can happen along with some dissapointment I guess...

If I don't like it, it will cost me to return it back to ssc. When I received my Bison PF ex, I hated it. I tried to return it and was told I had to pay to ship it back to SSC. They also said this with my Ultron. It's not like I can return it for $25. It would had cost me 3 times to ship it back to ssc. There is no advantage for international buyers here. With the sheer size of Sauron, it would cost hundreds to ship back to ssc if I didn't like the statue.

Don't know what to tell ya. Don't buy them then. They aren't going to change and since you don't like them that way you either accept it or pass.

That really is the bottom line josh...What will be key here to display these will be lighting, type,strength and position of it is key....plus the position of the statues themselves...I think if these statues were placed higher up they would look better

If I don't like it, it will cost me to return it back to ssc. When I received my Bison PF ex, I hated it. I tried to return it and was told I had to pay to ship it back to SSC. They also said this with my Ultron. It's not like I can return it for $25. It would had cost me 3 times to ship it back to ssc. There is no advantage for international buyers here.

If it was broken does same policy apply?...I didnt see you were international buyer...again worst case scenario......dissapointment and or dont get it...with many collectibles that is the chance one takes, there is no choice ...for some this will be the holy grail, for others dissapointment with pose, or paint or price...that's it

If it was broken does same policy apply?...I didnt see you were international buyer...again worst case scenario......dissapointment and or dont get it

Yah... I should had purposely broke the statue and the return would had been free. However, I was honest with them. These aren't cheap Collectibles that I can afford an hoping and praying that a statue will turn out great or not.

Back