What's your favorite Star Wars spaceship?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
screamingmetal said:
Broad Arrow's thread got me thinking, What are your favorite Starships in Star Wars? There are the obvious, Millennium Falcon, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, but are there any unusual ships you like?
My list:
My absolute favorite is the B-Wing fighter:
B-wing_infly.jpg

I don't know why, I just like the unusual design.
A few others:
2). Tie Interceptor
3). Millennium Falcon
4). Sith Infiltrator
5). X-Wing
6). The Executor
7). Republic Gunships
8). Jedi Fighter
9). The Nebulon Ranger
10). Nebulon-B frigate
11). Tie Defender

I've always loved the B-Wing too! The X-Wing is classic. But from a gamer's perspective, my favorites would be: 1. The B-Wing for sheer firepower; with its triple laser & ion cannons and 6 torpedo payload, it kicks tons of Imperial butt. 2. The Y-Wing is also a formidable fighter, but it lacks the speed and maneuverability of the B-Wing. 3. The X-Wing would be my choice for general all-around combat duty. 4. The A-Wing is tons o' fun for scouting and hit and run ops with its sheer speed and impressive 10 missile payload! (I may be off base, but Anakin's fighter in Phantom Menace looked like an early version of the A-Wing when I first saw it.) Anyway, with all six films to consider, there are lots of ships to choose from! Princess Amidala's super-sleek chrome hulled transport was a real beauty, too, but I guess I've always been partial to the Rebel Alliance starfighters, especially the B-Wing and A-Wing starfighters.

On the Imperial side, I always loved/hated! the TIE Bombers, TIE Intercetors, and of course, Vader's personal TIE Fighter!

For the smaller ships, I always liked the Snowspeeder, and it was my favorite model kit to put together as a kid. I always like the curves of the Mon Cal cruisers in ROTJ, though. They seemed like a nice counterpoint to the hard triangular shapes of the Imperial Star Destroyers. Very cool designs, but you didn't seem them do a whole lot.

I just dug out some old LucasArts SW PC game data and found the full names of the four primary Rebel starfighters from ROTJ...

1. Dodonna/Blissex A-Wing Fighter/Interceptor
2. Incom X-Wing Space Superiority Fighter
3. Koensayr Y-Wing Fighter/Bomber
4. Slayn & Korpil B-Wing Heavy Assault Fighter (HOOO-YAHH!) I've taken down Star Destroyers with these babies! They were supposedly designed by an alien race friendly to the Alliance, but I can't remember who they were. Anybody else remeber?

The evolution of the designs of the ships in SW is kinda screwy because of the chronological order Lucas made the films. The designs of many of the 'older' ships actually look 'newer' than the ships that are supposed to be the later designs, if that makes any sense! We're supposed to believe the ships above were the latest designs, even though they look a little 'old tech' in appearance compared to some of the sleek designs featured in more recent films. It doesn't matter really, I love 'em all!

Mudshark said:
I just dug out some old LucasArts SW PC game data and found the full names of the four primary Rebel starfighters from ROTJ...

1. Dodonna/Blissex A-Wing Fighter/Interceptor
2. Incom X-Wing Space Superiority Fighter
3. Koensayr Y-Wing Fighter/Bomber
4. Slayn & Korpil B-Wing Heavy Assault Fighter (HOOO-YAHH!) I've taken down Star Destroyers with these babies! They were supposedly designed by an alien race friendly to the Alliance, but I can't remember who they were. Anybody else remeber?

The evolution of the designs of the ships in SW is kinda screwy because of the chronological order Lucas made the films. The designs of many of the 'older' ships actually look 'newer' than the ships that are supposed to be the later designs, if that makes any sense! We're supposed to believe the ships above were the latest designs, even though they look a little 'old tech' in appearance compared to some of the sleek designs featured in more recent films. It doesn't matter really, I love 'em all!
If you're looking for exhaustive information on all things Star Wars go to Wookieepedia
It says the Verpine developed the B-Wing.
I never played the B-Wing in a game, would've love to have played one. They really need to make a next generation balls to the wall starfighter game that would include all the starships from all the movies and EU playable in all eras. That would be more then enough to push me to buy a X-box 360 just for that one game.
What I liked most about the B-Wing is that it's so odd looking and in some weired way sleek, not something you'd think of for a spaceship. Ironically I think it's as plausible of a design of a real spaceship as any of the others.
The design of the ships was all over the place, I don't think they really planned ahead all that well. I do think they were trying to go for a jerry rigged worn out look to the spacecraft, that much of it was in disrepair.

Mudshark said:
I've always loved the B-Wing too! The X-Wing is classic. But from a gamer's perspective, my favorites would be: 1. The B-Wing for sheer firepower; with its triple laser & ion cannons and 6 torpedo payload, it kicks tons of Imperial butt. 2. The Y-Wing is also a formidable fighter, but it lacks the speed and maneuverability of the B-Wing. 3. The X-Wing would be my choice for general all-around combat duty. 4. The A-Wing is tons o' fun for scouting and hit and run ops with its sheer speed and impressive 10 missile payload! (I may be off base, but Anakin's fighter in Phantom Menace looked like an early version of the A-Wing when I first saw it.) Anyway, with all six films to consider, there are lots of ships to choose from! Princess Amidala's super-sleek chrome hulled transport was a real beauty, too, but I guess I've always been partial to the Rebel Alliance starfighters, especially the B-Wing and A-Wing starfighters.

On the Imperial side, I always loved/hated! the TIE Bombers, TIE Intercetors, and of course, Vader's personal TIE Fighter!
Are you referring to the Jedi Starfighter? Funny I never thought of the A-Wing when I first saw it, it always reminded me more of Star Destroyers, but I can clearly see the resemblance. I never liked the design until I held a Hasbro version of the ship, since then the design has grown on me. Of Amidala's starships, I really like them all for different reasons. but my favorite design was the one seen in AOTC (this one).
Seaward said:
For the smaller ships, I always liked the Snowspeeder, and it was my favorite model kit to put together as a kid. I always like the curves of the Mon Cal cruisers in ROTJ, though. They seemed like a nice counterpoint to the hard triangular shapes of the Imperial Star Destroyers. Very cool designs, but you didn't seem them do a whole lot.
The Mon Calamari Cruisers are a favorite of mine too they kind of looked like giant squid. I also wish we saw them do more then just blow up. :lol which reminds me, we really didn't see the B-Wings fight at all in ROTJ. Apparently, they shot footage of them but they didn't show up on screen very well so they got cut. It's the one thing I really would like Lucas to fix in his special additions. It would benefit the battle over Endor as I think there wasn't enough of the space battle.

screamingmetal said:
If you're looking for exhaustive information on all things Star Wars go to Wookieepedia
It says the Verpine developed the B-Wing.
I never played the B-Wing in a game, would've love to have played one. They really need to make a next generation balls to the wall starfighter game that would include all the starships from all the movies and EU playable in all eras. That would be more then enough to push me to buy a X-box 360 just for that one game.

Right, that was it, the Verpine! The game I was referring to, btw, is the X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM by LucasArts. It was a '93 edition, so the graphics are quite primative compared to what we have now, but it was, and still is a great game! AND it had a bunch of bonus B-Wing missions added to it, which were really loads of fun. Just to give you an idea, you sign up as a rookie pilot and after completing sets of training missions in each of the four starfighters, you play three tours of duty, each consisting of about 10-15 missions. You get medals and field promotions depending on your performance, and there's a special screen that shows off all your ribbons and decorations on your tunic. All the missions were nicely varied, too! I must have spent hundreds of hours playing and replaying missions and working out my own tactics and strategies. They even had Calamari (squid) cruisers, though you couldn't pilot any of the large ships in the game. The only real down side is the old graphics! It was probably the best simulation of the Star Wars universe that I've EVER experienced, minus the actual characters, of course, and one of my all time favorite PC games.

I've been wishing for many years that LucasArts would make a fully updated version of that game, but with ALL the ships, as you suggested. I have absolutely no doubt it would be be a HUGE success now. It could be multi-platform, too. PS3 anyone? That would be truly glorious! They could even design it so you could play on the Imperial side. How cool would that be?

:chew :chew :chew

Back