What's your Favorite Movie Soundtrack??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say Blade Runner. I know... big surprise. I never tire of it (I'm listening to it right now).

As composers, Williams, Goldsmith, Shore, Elfman, Morricone are all high on the list.

Just a few of my other favorites:

Lawrence of Arabia
The Empire Strikes Back
Superman
The Fellowship of the Ring
ALIEN
The Fountain
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Citizen Kane
The Planet of the Apes
Taxi Driver
Ravenous
The Nightmare Before Christmas

I think I have around 300 soundtracks in my collection.

Just impossible for me to narrow it down to one, so here's a top 10 list...

1. The Fellowship of the Ring
2. The Two Towers
3. The Return of the King
4. Southland Tales
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
6. Little Miss Sunshine
7. Edward Scissorhands
8. Star Trek The Next Generation: First Contact
9. The Piano
10. The Nightmare Before Christmas

My favorite instrumental soundtrack is probably Empire Strikes Back. I also listen to these a lot: Revenge of the Sith, Atonement, Amelie, Pride and Prejudice, The Pianist, There Will Be Blood, Harry Potter Sorcerer's Stone, Slumdog Millionaire. For some reason, I'm thinking Troy was good, but I can't remember much about it. The Matrix score is also good.

Of non-instrumental soundtracks, I'd pick Garden State--Coldplay, the Shins, etc. knock it out of the park. Others that are awesome: A Hard Day's Night, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, O Brother Where Art Thou. I seem to remember Lost in Translation and American Graffiti as good.

For non-instrumental songs from movies, I always think of Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" from Batman Forever (though I think that song is on one of his albums too).

For instrumental songs, I always think of anything by John Williams and Danny Elfman's Batman Theme.

It's really difficult to choose one. It's difficult to even choose ten, but here's my list anyway:
1. E.T.
2. Conan the Barbarian
3. LotR trilogy by Howard Shore
4. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
5. Star Trek The Motion Picture
6. The Good the Bad and the Ugly
7. All of John Barry's Bond scores
8. Lonesome Dove
9. The Fountain
10. Rambo III

I like far to many to pick one, I'll throw 10 but there is so many more.

Conan The Barbarian
The Shining
First Blood
Suspiria
Sunshine
Grindhouse: Planet Terror
Crimson Tide
Day of the Dead
28 Weeks Later
Sorcerer

My favorite piece of soundtrack music is Il Tramonto (The Sundown) by Ennio Morricone. There is so much feeling in the short few notes.

If discussing the soundtrack by itself regardless of how it works for the film and just as a CD to listen to, my favorite is a three way tie. I like a lot of scores, but it isn't often I enjoy one complete from start to finish as it is, but there are three that I enjoy every note on.

JAWS - John Williams
Rambo: First Blood Part II - Jerry Goldsmith
RAMBO - Brian Tyler.

Braveheart is tops for me, in fact my wife walked down the aisle to the wedding theme. :love

Aside from that Shore's LOTR (esp Fellowship) is tops!

Honorables --

ESB, Batman (Burton), Forrest Gump, Superman, Unforgiven :rip

My favorite piece of soundtrack music is Il Tramonto (The Sundown) by Ennio Morricone. There is so much feeling in the short few notes.
If there was ever a composer who left his mark on the films he worked on, it was him--even more than John Williams, IMO (well, Morricone and Danny Elfman). Such a distinctive and appropriate sound. I can't imagine watching those Sergio Leone westerns without it.

My favorite "instrumental" song in a film is the theme to Miller's Crossing. I also think that the use of "A Lighter Shade of Pale" in the "Life Lessons" segment of New York Stories (directed by Francis Ford Coppola) was incredibly effective. Haven't seen that movie in years, but the song still resonates with me.

Lord of the rings
The Star Wars saga
The Indiana Jones saga
Star Trek II
Highlander (The score by michael camen)
Batman Begins / The Dark Knight
Conan the Barbarian
The Mission
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
First Blood / Rambo FB pt 2
Rocky
Superman
There's lots more but I 'd be typing all day

Regardless of original pieces or not, these are my favorite soundtracks. These are the ones that I can play on my iPod and there be no need to skip a song. They either take me back to the films and their specific scenes or take off on their own.
(In no particular order):

1. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
3. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
4. Gladiator
5. Master and Commander
6. Band of Brothers (HBO mini-series)
7. Star Wars: A New Hope
8. Braveheart
9. Dances With Wolves

I can only really think of one right now that stands out.

The Last Of The Mohicans and maybe The Thirdteeth Warrior(some tracks)

Scores:
Pirates of the Caribbean: All 3
The Lord of the Rings: All 3
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Watchmen
Beetlejuice
American McGee's Alice
Dark Shadows Original Album

Soundtracks:
The X-Files: Fight the Future
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Album
Watchmen
Phantom of the Opera (2004)
Across the Universe

Scores:
Pirates of the Caribbean: All 3
The Lord of the Rings: All 3
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Watchmen
Beetlejuice
American McGee's Alice
Dark Shadows Original Album

Soundtracks:
The X-Files: Fight the Future
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Album
Watchmen
Phantom of the Opera!? (2004)
Across the Universe

r u serious!?....I love "the phantom of the opera" but everything about that movie was beyond vomitrocious!!!...Butler sounded like a constipated cat being strangled!..BLASPHEMY, I TELL YA!..Shumacher needs to retire....permanently!!:rip

*Shrugs* I liked it a lot. Gerard Butler could sing me to sleep with Music of the Night any night of the week. Patrick Wilson has an amazing voice, and Emmy Rossum's voice was beautiful. Of course, I also love the original cast recording with Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford.

But the Canadian recording (I think it's that one, it's been a while...)... If I'm remembering it correctly, that's the one I didn't like.

Back