What's the point of Marriage?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A poll really won't prove who is right or wrong in such an argument?

Of course not. But it will probably lend credence to the assumption you are unwilling to see the reality of marriage in favor of clinging to your myths. I have no doubt you will be able to rationalize away the results.

You've already said you'd walk away if she pushed marriage. By definition you do not love her unconditionally and I think it's probably fair to suggest she's not really the one after all in that case. :)

:lol:lol Well that was bold but sorry you are wrong. In fact it proves that I love her way more then to force her to be unhappy in a marriage. A)I wouldn't want her to stay with me if she wants something else out of life and B) I wouldn't want her to put up with me being unhappy about being married- it wouldn't be fair to her.

Unconditional love does not exist. There are always conditions even though you may not care to admit them. Believe me.

Of course not. But it will probably lend credence to the assumption you are unwilling to see the reality of marriage in favor of clinging to your myths. I have no doubt you will be able to rationalize away the results.

My myths? :lol No myths here. Marriage is a contract between two people. End of story. Not a myth.

Rationalizing the results of an inaccurate poll will not do anyone any good.

In fact it proves that I love her way more then to force her to be unhappy in a marriage. A)I wouldn't want her to stay with me if she wants something else out of life and B) I wouldn't want her to put up with me being unhappy about being married- it wouldn't be fair to her.

Why are you so afraid of marriage? Surely at worst you think it's an irrelevant relic of tradition or religion, so why walk away from a woman you claim to love rather than agree to a license that only has the impact you ascribe to it?

Rory,

Very few of us share the opinion we have on this. Or the view I ( and a few others ) have on kids as well. Some just refuse to accept that what's right for some isn't right for others.

Some just refuse to accept that what's right for some isn't right for others.

To be fair, I don't think anyone here disputes that. Certainly nobody here is saying you shouldn't live your lives how you want.

To be fair, I don't think anyone here disputes that. Certainly nobody here is saying you shouldn't live your lives how you want.

That comment was more directed at the old "kids" threads more than this one. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Why are you so afraid of marriage? Surely at worst you think it's an irrelevant relic of tradition or religion, so why walk away from a woman you claim to love rather than agree to a license that only has the impact you ascribe to it?

Why? SImple because I believe in something and I must stand my ground and not sell out on my beliefs. I am not religious so there goes that reason to get married. It would be trivializing marriage for those people. Also, I want that woman to be happy with her life. If I go into a marriage with my views then this life she wants is not possible. So I would rather her find another way to get what she wants then to live a forced unnatural life.

Luckily my GF thinks the same exact way as I do. :)

Isn't marriage about taking vows in front of God? What if you don't believe in God?

Isn't marriage about taking vows in front of God? What if you don't believe in God?

This is my problem too. :lol

I also don't think marriage can work because nothing is meant to last forever. Our minds will change with time as will our bodies. It just can't last naturally. A successful marriage is really based more on luck. Hopefully you change with your partner at the same rate and keep things fresh.

If I had not met my husband I would not be married. If anything happened to him I would not get married again. He is the best and no one else would ever compare. He loves his geeky dork wife, who puts up with his hobbies and stinky, hairy dogs.

My folks have been married 50 plus years and are devoted to each other.

But to each his own. Do what is right for you Rory.

Nope... I got married through a Mayan ritual... our vows were to each other...

A successful marriage is really based more on luck.

Wow... you won't believe in God but believe in Luck??? ha ha ha...

It's called a marriage "license", but it is a legal contract so to speak.

What precisely is being contracted and under what penalty for breach of contract? I think you'll find there are no legal penalties for the dissolution of the marriage itself. The sticky wickets are always separation of assets and childcare, which are separate issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back