What would you rather see happen?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you rather see happen?

• Sideshow buys out Hot Toys.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Hot Toys buys out Sideshow.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Both merge with a new name.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Just work together and keep it that way.

Votes: 66 84.6%

• Total voters
The collaboration WILL go beyond just the new bodies... they all but said that at SDCC. Brant even pointed at Hot Toys' ALIENS Power Loader as an example of the types of projects they'd like to work on together.

And that's perfect, imho. Keep each company separate, but have SSC work directly with Hot Toys on their 1:6 stuff.

Does Hot Toys make stuff like the 1:1 Yoda or Grievous PF? I am not an expert here and don't know much about Hot Toys. Do they only do 1/6 scale figures? Because if that's true, I certainly don't want a 12" company buying out Sideshow, since I primarily collect the 1:4 scale pieces, polystone statues, etc. They produce a great variety of things, and 12" figures represent only a fraction of their total output. They certainly have roots in the 12" world, but have continued to expand and grow into new areas. I don't want anything to interfere with that.

Of course, I don't see Sideshow getting bought out any time soon...

Hot Toys is primarily 1/6 figures. They've done some other things though.

3 3/4" Star Wars-sized ALIENS action figures called Snap Kits

Star Wars Chubby Dolls

Pirates of the Caribbean Cosbaby

They've also done some statues and busts and things for Batman Begins

I'm pretty sure Sideshow's joint development projects with Hot Toys will strictly be in 1:6 scale... and that's the way it should be.

I'm fine with the separate companies for now continuing to have distributing agreements and the occasional collaboration. I think both offer unique aspects for collectors and I'd be afraid that if they became one, or if one took over the other, we would loose some of their individual characters.

:lecture :lecture

hey guys.. Hot Toys makes "put together yourself 1/6 scale figures" right? Well what's 2 figures that are very thin, notoriously difficult to do but would work good if the figures were assembled yourself from a model kit type design? I think we know :monkey3

hey guys.. Hot Toys makes "put together yourself 1/6 scale figures" right? Well what's 2 figures that are very thin, notoriously difficult to do but would work good if the figures were assembled yourself from a model kit type design? I think we know :monkey3

Not all their stuff is kit type. Most are just straight from the box figures.

But still, its something SS hasn't done and I could see them going this way to get us something for our Jedi to battle against. Just looking at options.

I like it the way it is right now.HT and SS each has their own core audience imho and I dont see why they should give that up and merge or buy out or whatever. Not to mention the complicated license process.

Keeping it as separate entities is the way to go. Working together where necessary. You have healthy competition, a wider variety of licences, and options and alternatives. They both operate differently, so you get the best of both worlds, than all your eggs in a one basket scenario.

All I see them doing is working together on things, which they are doing. I definitely don't see either of them buying the other. I also thought the Hobbits looked good in more than there new bodies. I just hope the clothes make it through production, let alone the whole figure. If HT is helping with armor characters and Vader, then me wanting HT having the license is pretty much fulfilled, but not. I hope Sideshow works on their tailoring and hemming and even types of fabric used. Also one their oversized heads and hands.

Oh yeah. One more thing.

General Grievous!

I don't know about a wholesale buyout of the company but I'd like to see Hot Toys take over the production of all the 1/6 SW figures.
SSC's inconsistent quality and dragging of the feet when it comes to stuff like armored figures has made me go from a potential completist when the line started to not buying any at all which is a shame as I'd really like a larger amount of high end SW figs than the few Medicom make.
Hot Toys are kicking ass with just about every single license and I have no doubt they would easily surpass SSC's SW figs and some of Medicoms too.

I'd love to see them working more closely, as it'd hopefuly be a win win situation for us collectors. But I think it'd be important for them to keep their own idendities. We just need dual logo boxes like we already had with TOMY- Marmit and TOMY- Medicom.
It's kind of down to how they want to play it in business terms, licence/royalties sharing or flat fee hiring, only time (and a lot of costly solicitors fees) will tell.

Keeping it as separate entities is the way to go. They both operate differently.

Probably not the place to bring this up, but. The thread is supposed to be about merges, takeovers, and joint partnership, not which licenses we would like them to make. I don't want Hot Toys making Star Wars figures. Look what it has done to Sideshow. It has decimated the hopes previous collectors had in Sideshow. It has disrupted the collector faith they had built up until Star Wars emerged as one of their licenses. I accept that it has been a leap forward for them, making their previous supporters diminish into the minority.

As I said above, they operate differently. Hot Toys have been able to concentrate more fully with less licences. This is where Hot Toys are replicating Sideshows budding performance, without distractions, such as statues etc. As they grow they will, more than likely, face many of the same junctures Sideshow faced. As long as they remain focussed they will remain the Hot Toys they have become today. I feel anything more than a mutual respect and cooperation will blur the different objectives each company has. Not trying to change anyones opinion, just airing my thoughts.

Having companies collaborate without merging is usually the best for consumors.

Mergers mean 1 less company competing which means a chance of price increases for no other reason than that.

Back