What was your 1st Sideshow Collectible?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psyberiantiger

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just reflecting back to when I received my first statue/bust from Sideshow. At the time (about 2 years ago) I really did not know anything about Sideshow. My collection at that point was 10dollar McFarlane figures & some 50 dollar Palisades busts. I occasionally made my rounds on ebay looking for cool Alien or Predator stuff & came across a 1/4th Alien Queen bust up for bid. After some "research" on the peice I placed a bid for almost half of what it was worth (because that was all I had in my bank:dunno) & knew I had no shot of winning... the next day to my surprise I found out that my lowball price won! From that point on I have been collecting Sideshow more & more... & my bank account has become less..... and less. In my opinion the Alien Queen is the greatest movie creature ever created for film & she still remains one of my favorite collectibles out of the now dozens that I have.

DSC08136.jpg
DSC08134.jpg
darth_vader_corset.jpg
DSC02422.jpg
queencccc.jpg
queenaa.jpg

My first Sideshow Collectible, was actually back when they were known as Sideshow Toy. It was the first 12" Frankenstein figure. I got it at ToysRus for around $20 I think. I then followed and collected the rest of the Universal Monsters and when those started to run down, I lost a little interest until the Bond line. I have always been a big Jaws fan so when he was a site exclusive, I had to sign up and order directly through Sideshow. After that, I've never wavered.

Jedi Luke 12" was my first order but I bought a Blackbeard 12" off ebay before that.

12" Anakin Skywalker was my first order, but I think I had bought Jedi Luke from Legends AF before that. I remember wishing the Medicom Luke and Vader figures were better looking, and less expensive. Sideshow granted my wish.

Thanx for the posts guys! It's always great to hear from like-minded people who love collecting as much as me. Now if only Sideshow made stuff my Fiance would collect. On second thought... maybe that's not such a good idea. I think Dancing with the stars & Twilight:monkey4 figures displayed around my Star Wars Aliens & Predators would make me want to burn the house down:monkey2

Premium Format Asajj Ventress. Love it!

Next was the PF Darth Maul, 12" Vader, and then PF Conan.

I've never bought anything from SSC. And the only SSC I own is the Babysitter Zombie (Subject 1025) which I got from Gruson as a prize for winning a contest he held. Kinda funny considering I'm a member of Sideshow Freaks. :lol

Thor vs Loki. For me it bridged the gap from my Marvel Bowens :p to REAL COLLECTIBLES!!!!

Predator 1:1 bust. I saw it at a local retailer and had to have it.
Didn't realy know about sideshow before then.

The Emma Frost Comiquette EX in the summer of '08 though I bought it off from e-bay...My saving's balance went downhill from then on!
206.gif

IMG_4706.jpg

First order was ROTLA Indy, but first to arrive was ANH Han. I've been poor ever since.

I had seen an ad for Indy on the digital bits website, which was the first time I had ever heard of Sideshow. Up to that point I would just buy some random Hasbro figures and vehicles but nothing serious. At around the same time, my friend had been telling me about high end military 1/6 figures and sending me links to Michael Crawford's reviews, but I wasn't biting.

But when I saw Indy, it completely turned me. I remember lusting over the 12" Kenner Indy way back in 1981, but it was too expensive for me back then so it remained a big hole from my childhood. Raiders is my favourite movie. I've always liked it better than SW.

So I had to think really long and hard on whether I should get Indy. After all, $90 was a lot to pay for a toy, especially when I would quibble over $10-$20 Hasbro crap. My wife stepped up to the plate and offered to get it for me for our anniversary, which I gladly accepted!

Then once I started exploring Sideshow's site and saw all the SW figures, forget it! I saw Han for $65 which seemed pretty reasonable compared to Indy's $90, so I thought, "what the hell" and placed the pre-order for that. Once I actually got Han and saw the excellent quality and details, I was completely hooked and I started tracking down via ebay any other figures I liked. I found the Freaks forum too and have been involved with this hobby ever since.

I see people here picking apart the tiniest flaws in Sideshow's figures. But I still remember what the alternative used to be: the crappy Hasbro figures. And I see what a significant improvement Sideshow is from them. I know Hot Toys, Enterbay and Medicom are the true competition to Sideshow and are better in many ways. But Sideshow is still miles ahead of mainstream 1/6 figures and I'm still in awe of their quality and am having a blast with them!

Legolas from Sideshow and Weta's collaboration. I was turned onto Sideshow with the included DVD on the Extended Two Towers Edition gift set. My brothers ordered me Legolas and the Fell Beast polystone statues, and I then proceeded to attempt to hunt down all the LOTR pieces I missed. Before then I had no idea that Sideshow existed.

My brotehr did though, and told me that he was planning on ordering me the Balrog piece (THE GRAIL ONE) the previous Christmas, only he couldn't afford it. If he had only told me about Sideshow earlier, it could have been mine!!!

Wish I was onto Sideshow years ago myself... there are so many things that I will NEVER be able to afford now that the market has made them "grails". What I'd do for the original Alien Warrior life-sized bust! Originally $999 & now I have seen some go for almost $3,000.:horror

I got introduced to Sideshow at their booth in 2008 at SDCC. I've always been a geek (comics, video games, movies,books, etc.), but was never into collectibles. I was amazed by the quality of the products. I pre-ordered the Conan PF Exclusive, constantly thinking "What the hell am I doing?" Try telling your wife that you ordered a $350 Conan statue. I might as well have told her I had a gay experience at a rest stop.

Flash forward 2 years. I now have a really nice display unit in my living room with Conan, Hitman PF, Punisher Comiquette, Mindzeye Gears of war and Hellboy SDCC Exclusive statues, and a HT Godfather Exclusive. In the closet I have a Dutch Exclusive and a 12" Vader Exclusive, both of which I'm holding onto to sell.

The display looks awesome and my wife actually shows it off when we have company. Unfortunately my condo is really small, so any future figures have to go into storage until I sell it and buy a regular house.

I'm really looking forward to SDCC this summer.

Back