What Sideshow has done to Marvel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cassady473%5B1%5D.jpg

I have a few bowen statues like, Gambit (of course :D ) nightcrawler, namor black trunks and some busts. I love what Bowen is doiung with the characters. He is truly sculpting the soul of the character. However, the quality of the resin material is nowhere near Sideshow's. After having my first Sideshow statue, bowen pieces seem to lost its value in my eye unfortunately. They are still great sculpts and I do not think that any company can make a gambit statue like Bowen ( Sideshow I dare you :maul ) , however, the material quality and the pose of SS pieces are unbeatable.

Sideshow rocks :bow

gambit said:
I have a few bowen statues like, Gambit (of course :D ) nightcrawler, namor black trunks and some busts. I love what Bowen is doiung with the characters. He is truly sculpting the soul of the character. However, the quality of the resin material is nowhere near Sideshow's. After having my first Sideshow statue, bowen pieces seem to lost its value in my eye unfortunately. They are still great sculpts and I do not think that any company can make a gambit statue like Bowen ( Sideshow I dare you :maul ) , however, the material quality and the pose of SS pieces are unbeatable.

Sideshow rocks :bow

how about a gambit comiquette or Vs piece with a light up feature in the cards in his hands?

pitchin said:
how about a gambit comiquette or Vs piece with a light up feature in the cards in his hands?

and also may be a some low radiant red LED's in his pupils ?

I would buy at least two, and I really don't understand why we are getting 3 wolverine related statues when there is such a character like Gambit :monkey3

Hello I'm new to the SSF boards and this is my first post.

I became a Sideshow collector quite recently and the two main licenses I will be collecting are Star Wars and Marvel.

The Marvel PF's Sideshow are creating are pretty amazing, I've preordered the Spider-Man PF and would love to see a symbiote Spider-Man PF or some of the villains.

I love what Sideshow has done for the Marvel Licence but would really like to see them get the 1/6 scale figure licence as well.

Has anybody heard if this will happen, have any collectors voiced their desire to see if through Sideshow?

gambit said:
and also may be a some low radiant red LED's in his pupils ?

I would buy at least two, and I really don't understand why we are getting 3 wolverine related statues when there is such a character like Gambit :monkey3

Popularity. Its that simple.

People were asking for a Hulk PF shortly after the Vs piece came out. I think the Hulk Vs sculpt didn't even get time to get appreciated properly by some as all you would hear was "how massive" it was and then we got Hulk PF with it's 179 gray units and people have put the Vs diorama Hulk aside.

At least that's the impression I get from these message boards discussions.

I agree spreading out the catalog of characters is a good idea. People are begging for PF Cap, Thor and Juggernaut (yet, another massive sculpt). It's like is all they know as far as Marvel characters go. I rarely hear any request from comics fans for less known characters besides your standard X-Men. I guess Bowen fills that void for them.

After a Cap PF, a Silver Surfer comiquette and DD Vs Bullseye, I hope Sideshow digs into the deep catalog Marvel has to offer. Taskmaster on a Vs piece. Black Panther on a PF. Kang on a comiquette. The possibilities are endless. As long as they stay away from Ultimate Universe characters the sky is the limit.

Last edited:
JABBATHERIDGE said:
I love what Sideshow has done for the Marvel Licence but would really like to see them get the 1/6 scale figure licence as well.

Has anybody heard if this will happen, have any collectors voiced their desire to see if through Sideshow?

Welcome aboard. I think soon you'll find yourself pretty busy with all the stuff SS is offering as far as Marvel products that your budget may not be able to support the 12" you are asking for. :D

Siriously, there is no word on a Marvel 12" license. I don't see it happening anytime soon as they are filling that void by offering the Medicom figures instead. As far as 12" goes, they got their hands full with Star Wars (their main money maker by the way they are pushing them out) and seldom releases with the Bond, Lord of the Rings and Buffy 12" lines.

SolidLiquidFox said:
Popularity. Its that simple.

People were asking for a Hulk PF shortly after the Vs piece came out. I think the Hulk Vs sculpt didn't even get time to get appreciated properly by some as all you would hear was "how massive" it was and then we got Hulk PF with it's 179 gray units and people have put the Vs diorama Hulk aside.

At least that's the impression I get from these message boards discussions.
I toke note of SS's Marvel license too late to anticipate the Hulk Vs. dio but I much prefer the PF due to the scale, Kirby-styled sculpt, and the fact that he allows for more diversity in display (you can have him face off against 1/4 Wolverine or any other upcoming character instead of just Spidey.)

The main thing the Vs. dio has going for it seems to be the ES, but I suppose if the McFarlane era Hulk is your fav then it would certainly be more appealing than the PF.

SolidLiquidFox said:
I agree spreading out the catalog of characters is a good idea. People are begging for PF Cap, Thor and Juggernaut (yet, another massive sculpt). It's like is all they know as far as Marvel characters go. I rarely hear any request from comics fans for less known characters besides your standard X-Men. I guess Bowen fills that void for them.
To tell you the truth I'm glad to see the love for Cap. For a long time Spidey and the X-folks have been the darlings of the Marvel lineup.

SolidLiquidFox said:
After a Cap PF, a Silver Surfer comiquette and DD Vs Bullseye, I hope Sideshow digs into the deep catalog Marvel has to offer. Taskmaster on a Vs piece. Black Panther on a PF. Kang on a comiquette. The possibilities are endless.
They really are! Though it doesn't seem there is much love for the 80's versions of characters, which was when I was most involved with comics. Since I've been out of the loop so long are the 80's runs considered subpar by most collectors today or am I the only who reminisces about John Byrne's Fantastic Four, the original Secret Wars, red and silver Iron Man, brown Wolverine, and "Captain America NO MORE." King Conan was another fave but I can't see him falling under their current license agreement.

SolidLiquidFox said:
As long as they stay away from Ultimate Universe characters the sky is the limit.
Word. They do seem to have a lot of talent writing the Ultimates series but I can't stand the new grim and gritty Captain America or Doogie Howser Reed Richards.

I jumped into comics in the early 90's when a was in my early teens. It is the one hobby I have kept up with after all this years. I am a statue collector by association. I can understand a lot of folks asking for the same well known characters since they don't read the comics.

I hope Marvel thinks outside the box a bit more when Sideshow brings a few unusual characters they want to do. I know a lot of what we see has to do 90% of the time with the exposure a character is getting in films. Even if it's the comics version of said character.

Khev said:
King Conan was another fave but I can't see him falling under their current license agreement.

Wow, I know it is under Dark horse licence but, I would kill for a King Conan 1/4 PF statue. It would be a dream come true and I have so manby friends that will buy this one. Even I would buy 2, one for display one for stock.

gambit said:
Wow, I know it is under Dark horse licence but, I would kill for a King Conan 1/4 PF statue. It would be a dream come true and I have so manby friends that will buy this one. Even I would buy 2, one for display one for stock.

Yes my friend.. I agree, but it would have to be done right.. A Joe Buscema or Ernie Chan version?..

Have you seen the Frazetta's Barbarian Statue based on Conan?.. Best and only as far as I'm concerned Conan sculpture out there...

Bodie The Cursed said:
Yes my friend.. I agree, but it would have to be done right.. A Joe Buscema or Ernie Chan version?..

Have you seen the Frazetta's Barbarian Statue based on Conan?.. Best and only as far as I'm concerned Conan sculpture out there...

Actually Buscema or Ernie Chan or a Mike Docherty based (may be would be better) King Conan would be cool. Difficult to choose between these 3 artists but regardless I would buy.

The king conan with the throne from McFarlane shows us how cool he could be in Premium format. I will definitely kill for a premium Format like that.

with regards to Frazetta, he sure did an excellent statue but it is the Barbarian version and I want the King Conan. I am still looking for a nice price to pick frazetta from ebay but due to so many coming statues and my loss of trust to ebay, I still can not manage to grab it. One day I will even buy that death dealer full size.

Back