What should be the next Hot Toys DX figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I truly hope not, and it would be unwise of Hot Toys to do this, they've gotten away with it so far, but there'll come a point when people look at a regular release figure, go, you know odds are, there'll be a better, DX version later, I'll just pass. It's not in their best interest to release inferior versions one time and superior down the road. Everyone's been really into getting the best Dark Knight stuff so they've gotten away with it for a couple figures, but there'll come a point where it bites them in the ass. They need to demonstrate to people that some figures will just be done to the full DX accurracy and quality from the get go and that they need not fear ever buying a first release. People already say the minute a new figure debuts, oh I'll just wait for the DX, two Dark Knight revisits is all it took to burn that notion in collectors minds, and Iron Man isn't helping either, they need to make some DX figures that are only ever DX to start wiping that notion from people's minds and help their regular sales.

I don't really see it that way. I genuinely don't think HT want to piss collectors off, but as a business they will want to get a figure out as quick as they can (I know it may seem like a long time, but for the amount of R+D that goes on, and then the subsequent manufacturing and distribution it must still be tight). But The urgency to release the figure and strike when the iron is hot can lead to figures like the first Joker.
So, I see the DX being a naturel conclusion to the 'big selling figure', I might be wrong, but you're not going to release a DX of 'say' a character from Avatar, because at the end of the day it might bomb (unlikely I know, but you never know!). So, say we get a figure of Jake Sully's 'Avatar' and it sells out, and the secondery market prices go mental, then at that point it seems to me like it'd make good business sense to make another... perhaps a DX. Of course the catch 22 is that if collectors say, right I'm not buying the Sully figure as a better one might come out later, so it doesn't sell well and ends up on discount, then a DX wouldn't be made anyway.

but you're not going to release a DX of 'say' a character from Avatar, because at the end of the day it might bomb (unlikely I know, but you never know!). So, say we get a figure of Jake Sully's 'Avatar' and it sells out, and the secondery market prices go mental, then at that point it seems to me like it'd make good business sense to make another... perhaps a DX. Of course the catch 22 is that if collectors say, right I'm not buying the Sully figure as a better one might come out later, so it doesn't sell well and ends up on discount, then a DX wouldn't be made anyway.

Has HT hinted that they might have the Avatar license, that you used him as an example?

Or is it just an example/wishful thinking?

Yeah with a price tag of about $499.99 :D Hulk is gonna be a tough SOB to make imo.

If they go ahead and do a Hulk Figure, whether DX or not, what you guys feel will be better when it comes to making the body?
Rubber Muscular or a hirsute muscular?

I feel the a hirsute muscular base body would be they way. No restricted articulation and no worries about rubber falling/breaking apart.

If they go ahead and do a Hulk Figure, whether DX or not, what you guys feel will be better when it comes to making the body?
Rubber Muscular or a hirsute muscular?

I feel the a hirsute muscular base body would be they way. No restricted articulation and no worries about rubber falling/breaking apart.

I dont think the rubber bodies are bad as people make them out to be, but it does restrict articulation a lot! Ive never had any problems with my figures that have muscle bodies. But I do agree, a hirsute body might be the way to go. He would have WAY more articulation. But I doubt we will see a Hulk figure any time soon, let alone a DX hulk figure.

i'm totally with wookster in that a DX version of a pre-existing figure is a way for collectors who missed out on the first release to get in on the game.

don't forget that for any business, u don't want to just sell to your existing customer base, but to potential new customers as well.

i got into this hobby only late last year. so obviously, i missed out on the robocop1 figure. i'll be more than happy if they re-did it as a dx. :D

the trick is NOT to release a DX so soon after the first version. so u don't make the fans feel cheated. i think about 1.5 to 2 years is a good distance between releases.

and dx isn't just about pers. there's also alternate costumes/armour, and special display stands. examples: dx joker, and battle-damaged iron man (though they're not calling it a dx). besides, as someone here pointed out, having a murphy headsculpt could easily justify a pers.

if you(not addressing you tyler, just 'you' in general sense) missed out, then it's your own fault for not getting in early as those did. go to ebay then. it's the price you pay for your initial hesitance. and releasing a DX so soon after the regular figure is just shady. it's not about giving newcomers a chance(they can always look for it if they want it bad enough), it's about making those who jumped early feel lousy about inferior products that they feel compelled to buy another better version.

They need to demonstrate to people that some figures will just be done to the full DX accurracy and quality from the get go and that they need not fear ever buying a first release. People already say the minute a new figure debuts, oh I'll just wait for the DX, two Dark Knight revisits is all it took to burn that notion in collectors minds, and Iron Man isn't helping either, they need to make some DX figures that are only ever DX to start wiping that notion from people's minds and help their regular sales.

exactly. i dont trust regular releases now. i see them as inferior drafts before the final figure.

Last edited:
I don't even care if Hot Toys decides to bring out revised versions as DX's of past figures i own, their figures are soo good!.. even with inovations and improvements made on a new figure, i don't get that sense of being ripped off or something..their product is generally top notch and consistent, a John Connor DX is just a tad better then the regular to me..its rolling eyes that sets it apart with DX..thats about it, maybe some extra accessories, big deal!.

I truly hope not, and it would be unwise of Hot Toys to do this, they've gotten away with it so far, but there'll come a point when people look at a regular release figure, go, you know odds are, there'll be a better, DX version later, I'll just pass. It's not in their best interest to release inferior versions one time and superior down the road. Everyone's been really into getting the best Dark Knight stuff so they've gotten away with it for a couple figures, but there'll come a point where it bites them in the ass. They need to demonstrate to people that some figures will just be done to the full DX accurracy and quality from the get go and that they need not fear ever buying a first release. People already say the minute a new figure debuts, oh I'll just wait for the DX, two Dark Knight revisits is all it took to burn that notion in collectors minds, and Iron Man isn't helping either, they need to make some DX figures that are only ever DX to start wiping that notion from people's minds and help their regular sales.

:lecture :lecture. I've already held off on ordering the Wolverine because of this, and in the future I'll do the same. Hot Toys has ruined the chances of me ordering any of the upcoming Iron Man II figures because they'll obviously re-release them later on.
This is why I stopped collecting Master Replicas products years ago, and I'm afraid (really hope not) that the same result will happen to Hot Toys.

if you(not addressing you tyler, just 'you' in general sense) missed out, then it's your own fault for not getting in early as those did. go to ebay then. it's the price you pay for your initial hesitance. and releasing a DX so soon after the regular figure is just shady. it's not about giving newcomers a chance(they can always look for it if they want it bad enough), it's about making those who jumped early feel lousy about inferior products that they feel compelled to buy another better version.

u may not be addressing me specifically, but i gotta respond to what u said.

it's a little dismissive to say it's "our own fault" for not getting into the hobby earlier. it's usually got nothing to do with waiting or hesitating. in my case, i wasn't even aware of some of the releases on the market. it was only after hanging around fellow collectors that i knew of the existence of certain collectibles. by then, it was too late to get em cos they were long sold-out.

and some items can't even be found on ebay even if we looked hard & long enough, and even if we're willing to pay premium prices. i've been hunting for a 1:1 wolf predator bio for almost a year now. no sign of it on ebay. there was one for sale sometime mid-year, but it didn't come with the display stand so i wasn't interested. and so far, i've not come across a ht robocop1 figure on ebay in satisfatory condition. the last one had a damaged gun. no way i'm paying hefty prices for used, damaged goods.

and like i said, if ht spaces out the releases between ver1 and the dx long enough, it's not shady or underhanded at all. it's just good business sense.

however, i fully agree that releasing them too close to each other is not cool. personally, i would be a little annoyed as well.

UNLESS u make the dx release different and special enough to justify its existence as a new, stand-alone figure. i think the battle-damaged mark3 iron man is a good example. maybe that's why ht isn't calling it a dx but a proper stand-alone release...

I don't really see it that way. I genuinely don't think HT want to piss collectors off, but as a business they will want to get a figure out as quick as they can (I know it may seem like a long time, but for the amount of R+D that goes on, and then the subsequent manufacturing and distribution it must still be tight). But The urgency to release the figure and strike when the iron is hot can lead to figures like the first Joker.
So, I see the DX being a naturel conclusion to the 'big selling figure', I might be wrong, but you're not going to release a DX of 'say' a character from Avatar, because at the end of the day it might bomb (unlikely I know, but you never know!). So, say we get a figure of Jake Sully's 'Avatar' and it sells out, and the secondery market prices go mental, then at that point it seems to me like it'd make good business sense to make another... perhaps a DX. Of course the catch 22 is that if collectors say, right I'm not buying the Sully figure as a better one might come out later, so it doesn't sell well and ends up on discount, then a DX wouldn't be made anyway.

I think there needs to be a balance. You're right in that new licenses with no history to rely on for sales, it's not in their best interest to go full blown to DX levels out of the gate.

However, lines that have proven themselves should be treated as such. As popular as T:S has been for Hot Toys, if there are to be any T1 or T2 DX figures, they should be made right out of the gate, just make it DX and be done with it, the movies are out, there's nothing they can't know about the characters from the movie and all, no excuses, and there's proven history that Terminator is property that'll sell like crazy no matter, you don't have to worry about it not selling and going light to start and seeing if there's enough market.

Like I said though, at some point it's going to get ugly if it's always upgrades, there will come a time that people will actually start holding off on buying first releases, once we get about a dozen or so DX figures, if everyone is an upgrade of an existing figure, and I mean one that's come out within a year of the DX like the TDK and Iron Man figures, then people are going to just expect that a DX is coming and pass on every first issue from that point on. If they want to sell first releases you have to offer your consumers security that the first release will be it and that's the product to get and that there won't always be a better DX later on.

u may not be addressing me specifically, but i gotta respond to what u said.

it's a little dismissive to say it's "our own fault" for not getting into the hobby earlier. it's usually got nothing to do with waiting or hesitating. in my case, i wasn't even aware of some of the releases on the market. it was only after hanging around fellow collectors that i knew of the existence of certain collectibles. by then, it was too late to get em cos they were long sold-out.

but that's part of the fun of collecting. hunting those rare items down. ok, actually it's no fun at all. but with some effort, i've always managed to find what i missed out. maybe it's a lot later than i had hoped, but things always show up eventually.

if HT is serious about wanting everybody not to miss out on their products, they could always re-release their initial figure for the late collectors, right? if you want to keep upgrading your products down the line, it's only courteous to inform your customers in advance, so we'll know if we want to wait or buy the current version.

and like i said, if ht spaces out the releases between ver1 and the dx long enough, it's not shady or underhanded at all. it's just good business sense.

however, i fully agree that releasing them too close to each other is not cool. personally, i would be a little annoyed as well.

but that's not what they're doing now, is it? those who bought BR joker and went back to get the v1 just for the purple suit must feel like suckers now. if they're serious about pleasing old n new collectors, there's a fair way to do this: just release the upgrades separately. those who want to buy just the purple coat, or just the PERS head, or just the cop costume, should be able to do that. dont need to cram in another tt body to jack up the price. money is great, sure, but customers's confidence n goodwill can go a long way.

However, lines that have proven themselves should be treated as such. As popular as T:S has been for Hot Toys, if there are to be any T1 or T2 DX figures, they should be made right out of the gate, just make it DX and be done with it, the movies are out, there's nothing they can't know about the characters from the movie and all, no excuses, and there's proven history that Terminator is property that'll sell like crazy no matter, you don't have to worry about it not selling and going light to start and seeing if there's enough market.

I agree there is a case for making an Arnie T-800 as a DX straight off, but there will be plenty of people that might want the option of a regular $130 to $150 figure before a $180 to $200 DX one, the main problem I see is one of 'intention', collectors would like to 'know' when the regular version comes out 'if' a DX will follow. And within the scheme of things I don't know if that would make good business sense... has SS said yet if we'll get more Vaders?

It doesn't matter who the next DX figure happens to be.

If DX version comes from an exisiting line with a production run, the only figure I would consider purchasing would be Rambo (not Rocky). I don't collect POTC, Rocky, Terminator, Aliens, Predator etc. therefore, I have no interest in another DX until the Marvel Trilogy line which isn't existing or have a production run. I am good at the moment :D

I know this would be next to impossible, but heres what I would love to see. Mix their DX line with their movie idols line. Heres what I mean...

The could make a Kurt Russell figure, with two sets of removable hair and tow outfits that would allow you to make either Snake Plissken from Escape from New York or Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China. Give him the PERS and I think it would be an awesome idea. We get two characters fans have wanted for a while, and the removable hair could be done well I think. Don't know how many characters they could do this idea with, but it could be a new way to explore the DX line....

Back