What material are Hot Toys and similiar figures made of? Smells funny!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air the pieces out and ventilate the room. YMMV, but the smell on mine hasn't lasted very long when the figures have been displayed for a while.

:goodpost:

Collectors should also note that many Hot Toy and Sideshow figures, will retain a faint odour of awesome.. this may be detectable for years after purchase.

:goodpost:

Collectors should also note that many Hot Toy and Sideshow figures, will retain a faint odour of awesome.. this may be detectable for years after purchase.

These are collectible toys we are talking about, i doubt they actually gets approval from relevant authorities to get certified safe to play like kids toys. The strongest smell other than those rubber toys are 3A toys, they smell like thinner seriously, everytime i handle one of them, i felt chill in my lungs, no joke. I also believe they skimped on the material safety just to save cost so they can put more detail into their products. Some fabrics uses such cheap dyes it turns a wet tissue paper black once you wipe on them.

I would say Japanese Collectible companies has better control over safe materials compared to Hong Kong companies due to tougher enforcement & code of honor they hold. Yea Medicom's stuff are fragile but at least less chance you get poisoned by them.

So what i do is everytime i handle these stuff i will wash my hands clean.

HT would have to apply for approval from the relevant authorities (which they would not get) for any Lead content... the UK banned Lead in paint for all products available to the general public in 1992.. the likelihood that HT does special batches for the UK is vanishingly small, so your figures also do not have lead in the paint.

Interestingly the 1963 agreement between the then Paintmakers' Association, now the British Coatings Federation, and the U.K. Government, not to apply paints containing lead, to surfaces accessible by children.. was voluntary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-based_paint_in_the_United_Kingdom
:thud:

Regular hand washing is a sensibly hygienic, lifestyle choice.. Trivia fact - a 'fist-bump' greeting transfers 90% less bacteria, than a traditional handshake.

HT would have to apply for approval from the relevant authorities (which they would not get) for any Lead content...

You're giving far too much credit to HT and other small producers. I'm not saying they have any lead in their paints as that would have no bearing on the smell anyway, just that the thought of some companies making formal declarations and applications with any government body is a bit of a laugh. So much comes out of China with completely falsified documentation or simply with alternative parts/materials every day.

The protections in place for imports (around the world) go a long way to curb unsafe materials, but those rules are not a magic sieve able to filter out everything. Sometimes (many times) the products have to be identified after the fact for any number of violations.

You're giving far too much credit to HT and other small producers. I'm not saying they have any lead in their paints as that would have no bearing on the smell anyway, just that the thought of some companies making formal declarations and applications with any government body is a bit of a laugh. So much comes out of China with completely falsified documentation or simply with alternative parts/materials every day.

The protections in place for imports (around the world) go a long way to curb unsafe materials, but those rules are not a magic sieve able to filter out everything. Sometimes (many times) the products have to be identified after the fact for any number of violations.

You are absolutely correct, it is technically possible that at any given moment, artificial intelligences controlling webs of globalised corporations, are deliberately trying to attack you personally, with a sinister and crippling cocktail of industrial chemicals and their residues, cunningly hidden in awesome Collectible figures.. in a concerted attempt to prevent you becoming the savior of the human race.. if they fail via such covert methods, then after the coming Apocalypse, they will probably send back through time, a sentient robot to terminate you in childhood. :)
..but imho, that seems unlikely, very unlikely.

In any event, I simply check the products have a 'CE' mark -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking
.. trust me, if you knew what goes into most of the processed food you eat (completely legally), a Detolf full of Collectibles should be the least of your worries, for long term health effects.
.. plus I did a deal with Skynet.. wait.. am I creating a temporal anomaly by telling you all this?.. hang on a mo, a traffic cop on a motorcycle, is pulling up outside.

There is no fate but what we make....

HT would have to apply for approval from the relevant authorities (which they would not get) for any Lead content... the UK banned Lead in paint for all products available to the general public in 1992.. the likelihood that HT does special batches for the UK is vanishingly small, so your figures also do not have lead in the paint.

Interestingly the 1963 agreement between the then Paintmakers' Association, now the British Coatings Federation, and the U.K. Government, not to apply paints containing lead, to surfaces accessible by children.. was voluntary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-based_paint_in_the_United_Kingdom
:thud:

Regular hand washing is a sensibly hygienic, lifestyle choice.. Trivia fact - a 'fist-bump' greeting transfers 90% less bacteria, than a traditional handshake.

i do it BEFORE & AFTER handling them, before so i wouldn't dirty them with grease & dust, after so i won't poison myself with potential lead & thinner & whatnot.

I know all my Hot Toys Terminators smell like straight up marijuana because of their rubber torsos. That same pungent smell is all over the chest area. I kept a Tech Noir in an acrylic case for ****s and giggles and, woah boy, when I opened up that sucker it really smelled like it.

Also had a spare DX 09 Batman figure body sitting in an acrylic case and the thing was melting through the acrylic. No harm to the body mind you, but it was slowly eating through the walls of the case it was laying against.

I agree some of the material used are probably cheap and not safe, but if you have decent ventilation (open window once or twice a week) and do not sleep in the same room as your collectibles, you should be fine in the long run. Your bodies can handle the junk food you put in them, so can your lungs when it comes to inhaling toxins.

There are worse things to worry about, such as having a stressful life or having vitamin deficiencies!

so can your lungs when it comes to inhaling toxins.

In general, it's not your lungs that you have to worry about with toxins, it's your brain - and therefore every part of your body. The lungs will pass the particulate into your bloodstream where it will reach your brain, possibly causing damage to the nervous system. Toxic exposure is also cumulative - you'd likely never even notice it happening.

In general, it's not your lungs that you have to worry about with toxins, it's your brain - and therefore every part of your body. The lungs will pass the particulate into your bloodstream where it will reach your brain, possibly causing damage to the nervous system. Toxic exposure is also cumulative - you'd likely never even notice it happening.

the main effect you will see from brain toxic is that you will unconsciously preorder more & more HT & SS products.

In that case you can say that everything affects your brain. Such as food we eat (pesticides, contaminated fish), the fragrance you use daily, second hand smoke, household cleaners, air fresheners, dryer sheets, fabric softeners. Even chronic stress....list goes on. Question is which are the worst offenders and how to reduce exposure.

PS my uncle has been smoking for 50 years and he is healthier than me lol

If you guys really care about your health then always demand information where it is not provided or hidden. It is your right to be informed!

Last edited:
In that case you can say that everything affects your brain.

Yes. But not everything is a neurotoxin and not everything around us contains them. Chronic stress is not a nervous system inhibitor, though it's obviously a potentially serious problem in its own right. ;)

Anyway, many things that are dangerous or even lethal in cumulative doses are substances you would never even know are present, as they're in quantities and particulate sizes small enough to be invisible, plus they don't have any odor. But when something does have a clear odor of lacquer or other type of paint thinner, it's still a good idea to try not to breath it.

Yes. But not everything is a neurotoxin and not everything around us contains them.

Most of what I mentioned contain neurotoxins, even clothes! I don't know which is worse but I believe that our collectibles neurtoxic potency is probably significantly reduced after weeks of off-gassing. Also I believe generally the more flexible plastic is the more toxins it'll off-gas.

Last edited:
Yes. But not everything is a neurotoxin and not everything around us contains them. Chronic stress is not a nervous system inhibitor, though it's obviously a potentially serious problem in its own right. ;)

Anyway, many things that are dangerous or even lethal in cumulative doses are substances you would never even know are present, as they're in quantities and particulate sizes small enough to be invisible, plus they don't have any odor. But when something does have a clear odor of lacquer or other type of paint thinner, it's still a good idea to try not to breath it.

that'd be 3A figures.

Most of what I mentioned contain neurotoxins, even clothes! I don't know which is worse but I believe that our collectibles neurtoxic potency is probably significantly reduced after weeks of off-gassing. Also I believe generally the more flexible plastic is the more toxins it'll off-gas.

the thing is for clothes you do wash them before you wear them right? for toys you don't really wash them, i do use damp clothes to wipe them though.

in short i do have more faith in Japanese companies than HK/China when it comes to toxic materials. Japan companies mainly target domestic market as such material control would be more stringent. US i can say if it's kids toy it's safe, but when it comes down to non-kids toy, i don't know. For HK/China companies, anything goes.

the thing is for clothes you do wash them before you wear them right? for toys you don't really wash them, i do use damp clothes to wipe them though.

in short i do have more faith in Japanese companies than HK/China when it comes to toxic materials. Japan companies mainly target domestic market as such material control would be more stringent. US i can say if it's kids toy it's safe, but when it comes down to non-kids toy, i don't know. For HK/China companies, anything goes.

I assumed that as well at first, but unfortunately it is not that simple. it is part of the material, it gets loose and absorbed into your skin. You can wash away bad material, just need to chose better materials. The list goes on, you can find toxins in just about any type of product you research. The idea is to reduce it as much as possible without going crazy.

If people demand info on materials, even HK companies will have to eventually give what customers want.

Last edited:
I assumed that as well at first, but unfortunately it is not that simple. it is part of the material, it gets loose and absorbed into your skin. You can wash away bad material, just need to chose better materials. The list goes on, you can find toxins in just about any type of product you research. The idea is to reduce it as much as possible without going crazy.

If people demand info on materials, even HK companies will have to eventually give what customers want.

well i don't know how bad they wanna use to get cheaper cottons, from recycled clothes? for something that come close to the skin, i would say high chance your skin will have irritation & rashes as indicator.

i would be more worried about things that can cause permanent damage that can't be removed by the body itself, imagine inhaling gasified metals from welding into your lungs, and the gases cools down, metal fusing with your lungs, the only way to remove them is cutting away the surface of the lung that has fused with the metal, no way you gonna try to melt those metals & suck them out. Asbestos too.

Back