what do you think of this 3D trend

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anyone seen 3D sports on tv yet? i'm wondering how that is.

I have watched some sports in 3d though Directv with my 4 year old DLP set and a 3d adapter. They have a full time 3d channel and ESPN 3d that currently has one weekly 3d college football game broadcast.

I have seen some of the X-Games and Harlem Globetrotters replays, tennis, golf and college football. Not a golf fan but it did add some nice depth to the course and it makes it easier to see the lay of the greens, etc. but it only broadcast from a couple holes. Tennis was ok. Football is pretty good. The camera angles are lower and the closer the camera focuses on the action the better depth it has. It is a little weird trying to get used to following the action on the lower camera angles compared to the higher shots that you get with a regular game broadcast. The sideline shots of the players and coaches are very cool along with the cheerleaders and crowd shots. The Globetrotters basketball was pretty good but once again not a fan of basketball so I didn't watch much but the camera on the backboard was pretty neat watching players come in for a dunk.

The problem with Directv 3d channels is that the 3d is lower resolution so it isn't as good or impressive as say a Full HD 3d movie so it isn't demo material. It is like the early broadcast days of HD where they are still experimenting and there is room for improvement.

The PS3 3d game demos are pretty good and the Full HD 3d video on Blu Ray from it looks incredible but I only have a demo disk that came with the adapter.

PC games played in 3d adds a lot to the experience in first person shooters, racing games and even in Batman Arkham Asylum.

I think there are too many people that think just because TV's are being sold with 3d that everything will move towards 3d and you will eventually have to wear glasses anytime you turn on the TV which isn't going to happen. I already wear glasses so putting on a pair of 3d glasses for a couple hour movie or sporting event isn't going to kill me if it enhances the experience.

3d will be on its way out. I was also told the same thing about HD by a high-up person in the movie production industry. Of course these are only predictions, but I was told these are only transitional technologies..sort of like the laser disc of our generation.

HD a trend, huh? One day nobody will be calling things "HD" because it will just be assumed. Just as movies don't advertise that it was filmed in Technicolor or CDs don't boast "stereo-sound". Maybe thats what your person meant, but he's a fool if he meant that people will go back to sub-HD quality.

As for 3D, I don't see the point in hating on it...you can always just go see the 2D versions. As far as Star Wars goes, most of us geeks have seen it 100 times or more, its always neat to get to see it in a new way. Some of the same people complaining about SW in 3D are the people who buy every single variant of a character Hasbro produces or every single SW picture book that reprints the same photos as every other book, but just regurgitates it slightly differently. Now the source material is being reprinted in a new form and you have a problem? :rotfl

There is a better version of HD coming out that is called EHD. Though this sudden 3D circle-jerk may have delayed that.

at the theaters and made for 3D (ie Avatar) - I'm okay with it.

making every last movie into some sort of wannabe 3D spectacle and then trying to cram 3D down our throats and into our living rooms - no thank you.

Some movies can benefit from 3D (again, Avatar) and other stories are so profound and well thought out, you will never need another dimension to watch that story in (ie Inception)

Crappy gimmick that comes back around every so often just like Treasure Trolls. The brain really stops processing after a short while, and I don't think it adds much to a movie in the time when it is really affecting the viewer. Better for 5-10 minute theme park rides.

New TV's actually look great in 3D and a huge part of it is you're not using cheap little plastic glasses like at a theatre. Also most new high end TV's make movie theatre projections look like DLP TV's. 3D movies at the theatre are garbage imo and all they do is make things blurrier than they need to be and dull the color. Samsung's 3D glasses for example refresh at (120Hz) and they synchronize to 3D content by alternately closing and opening each lens side. On the downside they still do dull color a bit because of the shade of the lens but not half as bad as theatre 3D glasses. Most people buying a new TV won’t buy it just for the 3D feature anyways if they’re smart and do some research but it is one heck of a nice feature to have.

I don't mind it as long as its not a requirement to see the actual movie. A theater near me only showed the 3D version of Toy Story 3 for example and that is a bit annoying considering not everything has to be encountered in the third dimension. Its a gimmick and a fad that will go away just like it did before and while I don't necessarily feel its needed and did enjoy Avatar in 3D, I really don't understand the venom spewing from some of the board members here about it.

Then again....it is the internet...

Its a cool option for those that enjoy it and I personally like having the option available. Star Wars in 3D excites me, because it is a new take on an old classic. Harry Potter I'd be fine with 2D or 3D. In my home, nah, don't need it.

Anyone remember awhile back when ABC gave out 3D glasses at a fast food restaurant and filmed certain scenes of their popular TV shows in 3D?

Ugh, I remember that. Some of the most flagrant 3D pandering I've ever seen, even more than the yo-yo in F13 3. I just remember on Home Improvement, them shoving a 6 foot subway sandwich towards the camera.

What an awful show.

New TV's actually look great in 3D and a huge part of it is you're not using cheap little plastic glasses like at a theatre. Also most new high end TV's make movie theatre projections look like DLP TV's. 3D movies at the theatre are garbage imo and all they do is make things blurrier than they need to be and dull the color. Samsung's 3D glasses for example refresh at (120Hz) and they synchronize to 3D content by alternately closing and opening each lens side. On the downside they still do dull color a bit because of the shade of the lens but not half as bad as theatre 3D glasses. Most people buying a new TV won’t buy it just for the 3D feature anyways if they’re smart and do some research but it is one heck of a nice feature to have.

Yeah the TV I wanted , I could get the latest model that had 3d or I could save a few bucks and get last years, but since the price difference was so small (barely $100) I got the 3d version. I dont have the glasses and didnt get a 3d DVD player, but maybe once the PS3 update is done (may have been havent checked lately) and I can find a good deal on the glasses I may get them.

Also remember that 3d without glasses is out there. Maybe not a large format yet but we all know once it works on smaller scale it will find its way to the larger scale.

I wonder if there's a place you can buy glasses to watch a 3D movie in 2D? Like for the people that don't want 3D and don't have an alternative.

It would be simple, instead of having two different filter lenses on the glasses, it would have the same filter in both sides so you would see the same image in both and wouldn't have the 3D effect.

I agree with most people here. For movies if the original intention was for the film to be in 3D then I'm on board. But the quick conversions look like crap and are a gimmick to cover up for a ____ty movie (Alice and Clash).

Home 3D seems annoying to me. Too much time is already spent in front of the idiot box, don't need anything else (special glasses) to further isolate me from others.

I don't plan on owning a 3D television... but if a friend has one I'll be happy to watch stuff at their house :lol

I'm going to get a 3D TV so I can meet people who will pretend to be my friend to watch it. :lol

Ugh, I remember that. Some of the most flagrant 3D pandering I've ever seen, even more than the yo-yo in F13 3. I just remember on Home Improvement, them shoving a 6 foot subway sandwich towards the camera.

What an awful show.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/6XUg5cfwilI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/6XUg5cfwilI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back